Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.4%

• Total voters

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
I was just wondering what bar length is the most common. On my hardtail I have 26" and on my stinky I have 24", which feels wierd bacause it is a taller bike with shorter bars. I was thinking about getting some 26" bars for my stinky so it will be the same as my trek.

So, I have a few questions. Do longer bars help you climb better? Do they give a steering advantage over short bars?
I'm also looking at lock on grips.

Anyone want to trade my 24" Kona OB bars for some 26" bars (also with 1" rise)? :)

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
i run between 22 and 23". my buddy that races SS has huge freakin metro bus handle bars, says its better for leverage.
sorry i do xc only, their all low rise (3/4") 1 ti, 1 carbon and one al

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I like my bars about 25 inches for XC. I'd like to run them a little wider but then I have problems clearing trees.

J

JRB

narlus said:
i think the protapers are 27", but maybe i'm wrong. that's how i answered, anyway.
I have 2 pairs. One is 630mm and one is 660mm. I don't know what that translates to.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
27" titec helions all around. great for SSing. got em when titec closed their door on closeout for 40 a piece. not bad for a ti bar!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
My DH has 28" bars......and my XCish bike had 26" stock. I swapped to my 28" bars for a BMX race and now can't ride with the 26 inch bars. Weird becuase I was OK (not in love) with the bars before going wider. Now I can't stand them. So now my DH bike and XCish (i guess it is a "trail" bike) has 28"s.

It is all personal preference. Find what you like.

Rhino

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
slowSSer said:
27" titec helions all around. great for SSing. got em when titec closed their door on closeout for 40 a piece. not bad for a ti bar!
Man that's the most awesome bar in the world! I should have bought 50 when they were on sale. who knew the reason the Hellion was on sale was because TItec was going out of business and CARBtec was taking over :angry:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My favorite bar in the whole wide world is the Titec Hellbent XC. The sweep is perfect, seems to releive a lot of stress on my hands and wrists. Had a problem finding one when building up my Yeti and had to settle for an Easton carbon riser.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
llkoolkeg said:
I do not discuss my bar length in mixed company. Suffice it to say, however, that the length and girth make it difficult to squeeze into tight spots.
Everyone brags about their size but still end up having to use clamps to keep the rubber tubes from falling off.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco said:
I have 2 pairs. One is 630mm and one is 660mm. I don't know what that translates to.
you seriously don't know how to change Metric to Inch without using the internet?

J

JRB

stosh said:
you seriously don't know how to change Metric to Inch without using the internet?
I can, but don't care to think about it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
narlus said:
better yet, just put the expression straight into yr google window on yr browser.
well apparently some people on RM aren't to familiar with "The Internet" so I figured a windows calc. was basic enough.....

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
The Toninator said:
what the **** is the internet?
The new inter-netting inside swim trunks. ;)

On my trek I have ProTapers and they are 26", got them barely used for 10 dollars. I want something similar on my Stinky, except 1" rise (the trek has 2"). I love those bars. They clear trees just fine.I dont want something too short, because this is after all an everything bike. I just think that longer will help me trail-ride better. :thumb: Slower turning for tight places (read that in a magazine).

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
27" with bar ends so without bar ends i'd probably run at 26"+ for XC
27 3/4" for DH

Size matters not.

Really how wide your shoulders are will determine what's comfortable. Both for comfort ergonomic wise for extended rides and for comfort confidence wise for leverage in pulling, reefing, holding onto the bars for techy.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
dwaugh said:
Slower turning for tight places (read that in a magazine).
You know you can always acquire an oversized bar, cut the ends to what you want. That's what i do, i can't run a shorter bar, not so much for the technical end, but for the ergo comfort. i get pains from pushing pulling basically riding and my muscles aren't in a straight comfortable position. That's what more important, kind of like lifting properly with your knee's kind of logic. You wind up torquing your body in ways it's not meant to torque....

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
My DH and hardtail are both 26", playbike is 24".

I never measured when cutting, just cut a bit at a time till they were comfy.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
I just got some 26 1/4" bars from a friend, and some lock on grips. I'll put them on today and see what it's like. They are super thick bars too, not about to break at all... ever... He says they are actually moto bars. :eek:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
dwaugh said:
I just got some 26 1/4" bars from a friend, and some lock on grips. I'll put them on today and see what it's like. They are super thick bars too, not about to break at all... ever... He says they are actually moto bars. :eek:
:D What kind? I actually jsut picked up a Renthals motobars. I am curious to what yours are....because if I cut mine down to 26 1/4" then I wouldn't be able to mount my triggershifter. Maybe if you are running gripshift it isn't as much of an issue.:think:

Mine are Renthals Moto Trials bar ( KENICHI KUROYAMA style) and I love them.