Quantcast

What kind of bike to get?

Dash01

Chimp
Feb 13, 2004
Seattle, WA
What kind of bike do you guys recomend? I'm not to sure on price range, so it'd be helpfull if you threw out some various bikes with prices. I'm 6'1 and hope to weigh around 185. I will use the bike primarily for training.

All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Eric

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
Kind of vague. What price range would you like to stay within? This will help narrow things down. Kind of like saying what kind of car should I get.... I want something with 4 wheels and a motor, make some recomendations.

There are 100's of road bikes out there ranging from $500-$10,000.

What are you training for?

Would love to help, as soon as I know where you are headed.

mtnbikej

Dash01

Chimp
Feb 13, 2004
Seattle, WA
Umm, as far as price range, under 1300 for sure. I will mainly be looking for used bikes though. Training for track and football. Basic conditioning pretty much.

Sorry my question was vague. I don't know anything about road bikes to speak of.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I would caution against people who recommend specific brands without knowing anything about how you are built/proportioned. Different brands fit in different ways. A good shop will be able to help you choose a bike that fits well. That said, I would recommend a bike with Shimano 105 components. 105 equipped bikes start at ~$1,000. 105 is a workforce groupo. It works very well and last a long time, its juts not quite as flashy as pricier groups.

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
Repack said:
I would caution against people who recommend specific brands without knowing anything about how you are built/proportioned. Different brands fit in different ways. A good shop will be able to help you choose a bike that fits well. That said, I would recommend a bike with Shimano 105 components. 105 equipped bikes start at ~$1,000. 105 is a workforce groupo. It works very well and last a long time, its juts not quite as flashy as pricier groups.

Agree.....Shimano 105 is the LX of road biking. Again, $1000 has alot of bikes in that range. All the big box brands....Trek, Giant, Specialized, etc. have quite a few bikes in this area. If you want to try one of the smaller companies, Felt makes a great bike in that price range.

For the price range you are in....don't bother looking for used. You can definately find a great new bike for the same price.

mtnbikej

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If you buy used, you NEED to know what you're looking for -and- what size. And size goes way beyond the seat-tube length.

I agree ^ buy new. Buy from a shop with a good reputation, especially for measuring a person and fitting them.

While I believe that most bikes at any given price point are fairly similiar to each other, I quite liked the LeMond Croix de Fer for $1200. But I'm also partial to steel bikes and ride slower and further than the average person, so the noise/vibration absorbtion of a ride is more important to me.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Repack said:
I worked for a shop that carried Lemond and am a big a fan of the Lemond steel bikes, if they fit.
agreed.

which they didn't for me, so I'm going custom. Deposit down and now 3-4 months for delivery.

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
LordOpie said:
I agree ^ buy new. Buy from a shop with a good reputation, especially for measuring a person and fitting them.

While I believe that most bikes at any given price point are fairly similiar to each other, I quite liked the LeMond Croix de Fer for $1200......
I in part followed this advice and I am very happy with my Croix de Fer... :D .

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
LordOpie said:
agreed.

which they didn't for me, so I'm going custom. Deposit down and now 3-4 months for delivery.
LO, who is building your frame? I'm just curious.

Dash01, just FYI I'm also on steel. Best bang for the buck. I came off a high dollar aluminum frame for the steel. It's noticably smoother on the chip'n'seal roads here.

jonboy

Chimp
Jan 5, 2005
Chicago
I'm a life long mountain biker who just went through the purchasing process of a road bike. Unlike mountain bikes, sizing a road bike is all about top tube length. Granted seat tube and top tube sizes go hand in hand, just don't get too caught up on seat tubes. Make sure the reach is comfortable without being too cramped.

As far as bikes go, 105 parts on a steel bike will last a part time road rider a life time if well taken care of. If you coming from a mtb back ground you'll appreciate the strength and subtle shock absorptions of steel. As a mtber you won't ride a road bike the same way roadies do.

Jamis and Lemond both offer nice steel bikes at a good price. There are probably tones others...

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I'm in the same position, but don't have $1,000 to spend. Are the entry level bikes decent? Like the Trek 1000? I've also looked at the Specialized Allez. I'm female and 5'5". Any opinions on Kona's road bike?

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
jonboy said:
As a mtber you won't ride a road bike the same way roadies do.
I'm curious as to the differences you've noticed between pure roadies and those that have come across to road from mtn bikes. The pedaling round thing is prob the biggest thing I noticed and it took me like 3 mos in the gym on a stationary to get my pedaling smooth. I think I might have also had some advantage since I've been riding full squishies since mid 90's and pedaling smooth was key to ride them well.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Pau11y said:
I'm curious as to the differences you've noticed between pure roadies and those that have come across to road from mtn bikes. The pedaling round thing is prob the biggest thing I noticed and it took me like 3 mos in the gym on a stationary to get my pedaling smooth. I think I might have also had some advantage since I've been riding full squishies since mid 90's and pedaling smooth was key to ride them well.
Can you elaborate on what the "pedaling round thing" is?

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
bluebug32 said:

The difference in a "masher" as opposed to a "spinner"

I agree. I find it much easier to mash big gears than spin little gears on the road.

mtnbikej

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
bluebug32 said:
I'm in the same position, but don't have $1,000 to spend. Are the entry level bikes decent? Like the Trek 1000? I've also looked at the Specialized Allez. I'm female and 5'5". Any opinions on Kona's road bike?

Here is a great bike from Felt Tiagra/105 $849 but surely can be had for less.

http://www.feltracing.com/2005_bikes/2005_f80.html

Trek makes a nice bike, you probably wouldn't be dissapointed with it.

mtnbikej

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
bluebug32 said:
Yeah, pretty much what mtnbikej said, very much related to cadence. When you mash big gears, you tend to pedal slower and in my case, less "round". I was in the gym for like 3 months learning how to pedal at 90 - 110 rpms (max I've been able to sustain for more than 15 secs is 140 rpms w/ 160mm crankarms). I've been finding that I can do spurts up to > than 110 on my 175s, but it takes a lot of energy to move my legs at that rate to keep from hopping in the saddle. At around 90 - 98 is pretty ideal in the 175, w/ very little if any effort to keep from hopping in the saddle. In this rpm range, I'm also pedalling really nice and round too - hence no hopping in the saddle.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Any other brands/bikes I should look into. Def. needs to be under $1,000. Remember, I'm a mountain biker, so I don't know much about road brands. Someone was saying that Jamis has really good parts for an entry level price. Is this true?

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Demos... demo everything. Try and find a shop w/ the brands you're narrowing down to and demo several bikes. Ask if they'll let you put the demo $$ into your purchase when you do decide. Gives them incentive to demo bikes to you and you staying w/ them for final purchase...win/win :D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
bluebug32 said:
Any other brands/bikes I should look into. Def. needs to be under $1,000. Remember, I'm a mountain biker, so I don't know much about road brands. Someone was saying that Jamis has really good parts for an entry level price. Is this true?
If you're buying new, don't shop brands, shop the LBSs... a good LBS with a good reputation, one who'll spend time working with you to get the right bike, a little measuring before hand, fitting you properly afterwards. If they have the right bike in their shop, buy it regardless of the brand.

I could be wrong, but I just don't think that there's one brand that stands out so much more than any other at any given price.

Again, shop the shops and buy the fit. Components are the least concern.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
some amazing deals can be found on ebay, but you really need to know what you're doing.

If money is such an issue and you have a mtb, then just get another set of wheels for your mtb. Perhaps buy a better set and put your knobbies on 'em and slicks on your old set?

I discourage people from buying used more so because of fit than how good the equipment is. If you can swing it, pay a pro in your area to measure you up properly. Should be $100-150. And then find the used bikes that come close and post links about 'em here so we can help you.

A good bike that doesn't fit is much worse than a 20 year old bike with downtube shifters that does fit!

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
LordOpie said:
some amazing deals can be found on ebay, but you really need to know what you're doing.

If money is such an issue and you have a mtb, then just get another set of wheels for your mtb. Perhaps buy a better set and put your knobbies on 'em and slicks on your old set?

I discourage people from buying used more so because of fit than how good the equipment is. If you can swing it, pay a pro in your area to measure you up properly. Should be $100-150. And then find the used bikes that come close and post links about 'em here so we can help you.

A good bike that doesn't fit is much worse than a 20 year old bike with downtube shifters that does fit!
Couldn't agree more with that, but also keep in mind that one company's 53 might be another's 55. I know the ebay temptation must be huge, but for a first purchase you are so much better off going through a shop. In addition to being able to find a bike that fits well, every shop that I know of sells new bikes with some sort of basic maintenance included. Usually little adjustments here and there, but it adds up.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
bluebug32 said:
wow, find a new shop then, because they should always let you take it out for a spin first
:stupid: Many shops now have a demo program. You pay to use the bike, but they will deduct the cost iff you purchase one. I know that the Trek will work out deals with shops wishing to run such a program.