Quantcast

What kind of brake pad for avid code? noticed theres different compounds

fullmoto

Chimp
Apr 30, 2010
hey guys I need a new set of brake pads for my avid codes and I noticed theres different compounds like organic and metalic. Im wondering which kind should I get?

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
EBC Red(DH specific) are freaking awesome pads! They are grippy as hell but also have good modulation. The only downfall they have is that they wear about 2x faster than regular pads.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
I think organic is softer and metallic is harder. So, you can figure it out from there. (The softer pad will stop better.) So what I did was I got an organic pad for the front and a metallic pad for teh rear. I figured since 90% of braking is done with the front, why not have a more sensitive pad, and a lot of modulation in the rear.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'd just stick sintered at both ends (but 50% of my turning is done with the rear brake)

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I use the metallics for DH. They seem to deal with heat build up better than the organics and have longer pad life. The organics have better bite when they are cold, but once heated up the sintered seem much better.

AzN_devil

Monkey
Jun 18, 2009
Hong Kong
i had ebc red pads for front ebc gold pads for rear when i was using my codes...
im now using ebc gold for front and original sinistered for rear using juicy 7s...

there are 3 compounds for ebc brake pads and 2 compounds for original avid pads...
ebc
red - best performance but wear rate is pretty high
gold - best all around performance but wear rate is better than original avid pads
green - never tried it

avid
sinisted - its what most people use..the only thing i cant stand is the brake fade if dragged for a period of time...horrible in wet as well
organic - the only time i'd choose these is when riding in wet..otherwise these are crap..high wear rate, low power and medicore modulation

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
-organic
-metallic
-metallic alloy back

Has anyone tried the metallic alloy back? What do you gain from the alloy back besides less weight?

Has anyone tried a comparision?

dsb18292

Chimp
Mar 24, 2009
I use the metallics for DH. They seem to deal with heat build up better than the organics and have longer pad life. The organics have better bite when they are cold, but once heated up the sintered seem much better.
Exactly as I would put it. Plus 1 ;)

Other benefit of the organic/resin pads is that they are quieter. So if your rotor isn't true and rubs there isn't the ching-ching-ching, metal on metal, sound as the bent rotor contacts the pads.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I ended up going with organic up front and metallic on the rear of the wifes and kids bike. They both seem to use the rear brake more than the front.