Quantcast

what kind of oil should i use on my fork stanchions

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
i just got a new bike that came with the RS Recon 335, what kind of oil should i use on the fork stanchions

thanks

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Sometimes I put Finish Line stanchion lube on them. The fork feels a marginally smoother after applying. Most of the time I do nothing and let the fork oil do it's job.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I have some stuff made by RS called judy butter. Works wonders.
:confused: That stuff goes inside the fork, not on the outside of the stanchions. Or do you put some on, pump the fork a bit then wipe it off?

I also have a tub of Judy butter, but haven't used it in probably 8 years since I stopped riding elastomer forks...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Back in the day I used Schwinn Silicon from an aerosol can the various RS forks I've owned - I felt it contributed to smoothness. I've never felt the need to do anything to my Fox fork.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
RS forks use very little oil in the lowers, only enough to lubricate the bushings. Every once in a while you'll want to remove the lowers and apply new grease (slick honey, RNR super slick, etc), to the dust wipers. You can find step by step directions on how to do this on SRAM's site.