Quantcast

what kind of work environment are you guys in?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
how do you guys get to sit on RM for extended periods of time while at work? or should that be "work"?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
SkaredShtles said:
Cubicle hell.
Well I woke up this morning and I got outta bed
I looked at my schedule and it filled me with dread
Cuz I gotta go to work today but all I wanna do is snooze
I got me the Cubical Hell Cubicle Hell Blues

The lights are all flicker flourescent
The seats are all sticky stuff
The desks were all built by Frank Lloyd Wrong
Man I've had more than enough!

They turn on the heater just in time for May
But they can't get the AC up til Halloween day
Oh I'm dreading my workplace and those funny blue fumes

We finally got some computers
A 486 is my fate
The copy machine's always busy
with a one page per hour rate

The coffee is decaf and it always tastes like glue
The tea that's in the pantry is Lord Silver Grey's Old Shoe
We're all out of White Out cuz the manager has no clues

I'm supposed to make up the flyers
All glossy and color fresh
But this dot matrix printer's
Always being laid out to rest

Our address isn't listed, our phone line never works
Our building is falling apart, the landlord just says it's "quirks"
The Better Business Bureau just refunded us our dues

We lost us our network guru
He'd decorated his cube
But the Cubicle Cops came and took him away
And their Uzis were really rude!
We're overseen by fascists
The bathrooms haven't been cleaned
The lights are driving me wild
My boss is a damn machine
There's asbestos in the ceiling
And cracks in the windowpane
I need to find me my muse -
cuz I got Cubical Hell Cubicle Hell Cubical Hell Cubicle Hell Blues

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I spend half my time in cube hell the other half in dimly lit, loud dirty factories manned by hunched over hairy knuckled human-ape hybrids.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I screw off for most of the day and act overworked for a couple hours and actually do some work. It took 20 years to perfect this technique.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
ADHD. I'm always doing 12 things at once. I have 5 xterm windows open, a text editor, email, ridemonkey, mathematica, chime, task manager, three folders, and itunes all running at the same time. At least I'm not bored.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I work in a laboratory...there are lots of "incubations" during experiments so you get little 5-30 minute breaks when you can't do much. I have also become adept at stinkyboy's method...if you are twice as efficient as everyone else, you can work half the time and be ok. :)

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
SkaredShtles said:
It's only taken me about 10. :blah:
But you're a cubicle loser. I like to refer to it as "my puppet show" when I wing some paper clips into the cubes and watch the heads start popping up. :rofl:

:blah:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Good job. I come in when I want, leave when I want.

The key to keeping my job (advice for anyone thinking about abusing their privileges) is not to abuse my privileges. I went for a ride at 4pm, then I came back and kept working til 9.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I work for NYC DOT as an inspector at a NYC asphalt plant. keyword there is NYC DOT... city worker..
I run the quality assurance division.. I have my own office inside a Testing lab, that has 3 others in it.. we are all very good on keeping up with our work.. so once its done.. we have our own personal time to do as we please

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
stinkyboy said:
But you're a cubicle loser. I like to refer to it as "my puppet show" when I wing some paper clips into the cubes and watch the heads start popping up. :rofl:

:blah:
Yeah. My last job was the cush one. Admin with private office about 15x15............ I wonder why they ran out of money. :think:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I tend to multitask. I've also gotten good enought at my job that I can get more done than my co-workers in 2 hours than they do all day.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
My job makes my eyeballs bleed after 30 min so I have to stop and surf the net until the bleeding stops.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I work for the state wildlife agency & go to school, so when I'm not in the field collecting "stuff" I'm usually sitting in front of a computer. RM has become an evil addiction as of late, I'm trying to ween myself off the site a little bit! (obviously, I haven't been very successful)

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
small satellite office trailer in a cable manufacturing plant about 30% of the time the other 95% I'm running tests, setting up pressure vessels, blowing cable up or melting it with "100% Poisonous" chemicals

My job rawks!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I've got a corner cubicle that is larger than most offices in the building. It's a u-shaped desk with two guest chairs. I keep my monitor turned away from traffic so no one can see what I'm doing. :)

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Cooter Brown said:
small satellite office trailer in a cable manufacturing plant about 30% of the time the other 95% I'm running tests, setting up pressure vessels, blowing cable up or melting it with "100% Poisonous" chemicals

My job rawks!
Uh...30% plus 95% is too many %'s.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I am in my office or on my laptop with wireless all day (if im not traveling)...I am very fast with the alt+tab feature and get a ton done as well as comment on here...

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
I rock a real office with real windows and a real door. As long as my work gets done everything is cool. I do pretty much the same as Westy and Stinkyboy.

Yesterday at lunch I went out, had a nice 10oz steak :drool: five pints and still got a "hey! great job! thanks!" from my boss for a document that he had asked for at like 11:59am yesterday.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Currently no job - maybe by the end of today there'll be a job...but I work from home, so I probably won't go anywhere....

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
i sit in the corner of office and i have 2 windows :cool: i blast my music (headphones) and chat it up with the other engineers. very relaxed as long as u get ur work done. oh and i got the printed and fridge right next to me so i dont even have to leave my chair!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I sit in a lab with a half million dollar printer instrumented with 4 PC's, 2 Solaris servers, and 2 laptops. I set up tests on all the computers and then slack on the internet on my laptop while the tests run. w00t.