Quantcast

what kinda trouble did I just get myself into?

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
ironically ive never owned a scan tool, never much needed one even with all the cars.

The t-req/phaeton in '04 was a whole new leap into a electronics package that vag hadn't dealt with prior. Can't say one years difference was alot but this car seems for all intents and purpose to be problem free. PO was a guy in the LA movie industry with money. Him and the wife were looking to start a family so he was using it as an excuse to buy a cayenne. Only time will tell but i've got 16 years in the VW/Audi aftermarket and a few really competent techs as close friends who work for cheap. Take for instance t-belt on the passat. One of my dudes did it for $250 and we replaced a CV I blew up being low.

I'll end up pulling a old PC laptop out of storage and loading vagcom on it though.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Well that's pretty handy then, in Oz I couldn't even get a trade discount on Volvo parts and throwing parts at them was too expensive so I bought a Volvo Clone scan tool. It ended up being pretty handy as it did pretty decent data logging which showed up some nasty boost spikes which were causing it to hit boost cut.

Last edited:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
So, saturday I went from Camarillo to LBC and back. today I went from Camarillo to Laguna beach and back with A/C blasting, got mid 24-24 gas mileage on average. No hiccups, no issues. drives like a dream, so quiet on the highway.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Every minor trip you complete without the car leaving you stranded must be like a dream, eh

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
So going to have my first minor repair soon. Went to toss new plugs in (I traded a small freelance job w/ a parts guy for plugs for the car) To my not so surprise 3 of the plugs had a fair amount of oil on them.

Not surprised that a VW/Audi and a leaking valve cover. $40 in parts and a couple of hours and it'll be good to go.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Nice car, but you should have bought a 4.2 :weee: So much Audi hate here. My allroad 4.2 is holding up fairly well for the 3.5 years I have owned it. Of course I had to replace the usual things like the entire front suspension, valve covers, starter, brakes, random small parts here and there but no major, multi thousand dollar at a time issues. I've spent $7k on maintenance & repairs in that time period, which also includes normal items like oil changes, tires, etc. jonKranked will be disappointed to hear I have not needed to remove the entire front end yet to work on things. The car has also never left me stranded or broke down on me anywhere, and I don't expect it to. Although I am convinced those things only happen to people who are clueless about cars anyway.

I have been thinking of replacing it just to get something different. I do really love the utility of the wagon body style, but there aren't many good wagons available any more. I don't really need the "all-road" features any more and would prefer something with sportier handling. I made the mistake of test driving an e39 M5 yesterday (which I have always wanted) and now I pretty much must have one. It makes the allroad suspension feel like driving a '90's Chevy, which I know because I used to own a Lumina.

Last edited:

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Cts wagon?

I hate audis because of all the audis I owned.
I loved the CTS wagon we drove. It's a fantastic car. The sales guy said used ones were never available, and when I searched I only found one in the US, so we got the TDI Jetta Sportwagen. The morning after purchasing the Jetta, we got a call from the Cadillac dealership saying that one had just come in off lease. Maybe next time.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Nice car, but you should have bought a 4.2 :weee: So much Audi hate here. My allroad 4.2 is holding up fairly well for the 3.5 years I have owned it. Of course I had to replace the usual things like the entire front suspension, valve covers, starter, brakes, random small parts here and there but no major, multi thousand dollar at a time issues. I've spent $7k on maintenance & repairs in that time period, which also includes normal items like oil changes, tires, etc. jonKranked will be disappointed to hear I have not needed to remove the entire front end yet to work on things. The car has also never left me stranded or broke down on me anywhere, and I don't expect it to. Although I am convinced those things only happen to people who are clueless about cars anyway.
:think:

:rofl:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Hahaha that is true.

I'd imagine it rides better than the stock suspension? Does the damping adjustment control just rebound or comp and rebound?
Why didn't you run a nice set of double adjustable coilovers?

One of the freakier moments at my old work was due to an exploding airbag, I had a bus up on a hoist while cleaning the engine bay and a rear bag went boom, luckily the bus and hoist just wobbled round like crazy and no damage was done.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
I'm tired of coilovers. Of Being **** hammered low all the time. New generation air stuff is great. Rides awesome handles well since the manifolds don't bleed air side to side. Another reason is I designed airlifts 2012 and 2013 catalogs so we traded work for product. So far ride has been awesome

I believe damping adjustment is just compression. But I could be wrong.