Quantcast

what lubes do manufactures use

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
on chains and cassettes, cause the lube they use seems way better than the stuff they sell at bike shops

thanks

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
They come with an anti corrosion grease, remove it before use and lube the chain with your favorite lube.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I wouldn't remove it. That stuff chains come with is good lube. Just lubricate as normal every few rides. Make sure whatever you use that you wipe the outside of the chain thoroughly before you ride. Lube on the outside of the chain or on cassettes does nothing but attract dirt.

Cassettes have no lube on them when new. You should apply grease to the splines though. Don't need much.

Nov 7, 2008
why on earth would you want to lubricate your cassette?
unless your just talking about some grease on the splines when you install it onto the freehub, in that case anything will do.

as for chain lube, i cant remember where but i read an article in some magazine about it years ago, it was also a pretty old article at the time that i read it. basically, the 'lube' that comes on your chain from the factory is meant to keep the chain from rusting in the box on its long boat ride over from asia. it works as a decent lube for the fist couple rides but its so sticky that it will attract all sorts of dust and grime and eventually do more harm that good.

long and short of the article was that different climates warrant the use of different chain lubes.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
The first thing you want to do when you install a new chain, is take some proper chain lube to it (there's a lot out there, pick one). It will remove the grease that comes on the chain, which is definitely a good thing. As others have said, that grease will do nothing but attract grit, sand and anything else that it possibly can depending on your riding conditions.

I prefer Rock N Roll Extreme (blue).