Quantcast

What makes excellent cross training???

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Snow shoveling/sweeping, that's what. From Thursday to this morn, I've done it 6 times during our storm. I know, big deal, it was only 3-6" each time. Just to go out and do it. If I would just remember to alternate right-to-left and left-to-right throwing, I'd be fine.

Oh, to have a 'cross bike and really enjoy the snow right now...........

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Running from the cops. I no longer have to hide behind the Bushes. I can make it all the way home now...
:stupid:

In all seriousness, running is great cross training. I try to run @ least 2 5ks a week. Running uses a totally different set of muscles than biking and is great for endurance. You don't have to commit large amounts of time to get a great workout and can do it from home. As a rider you’ll probably develop major shin splints when/if you first start because the muscles that develop to run have to overcome your already developed riding muscles. That said, I still hate to run but it is strangely addicting once you get into the groove.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
running is too hard on my knees to do it for long enough durations that I would benefit.

Swimming is probably the best.

Rowing machines are really good too.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I highly recommend this to start:
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-520--9397-0,00.html.

I'm pretty sure this article is written with the assumption that you do nothing physically. Since you’re a biker lung capacity really shouldn't be an issue but it really is the best way to get your new muscles into shape without injuring your self. As I stated earlier I had major issue with shin splints but part of that I’m pretty sure had to do with the fact that I did week 1&2 then skipped to like week 5. When I was able to even think about running again 3 weeks later I went back to week 3 on the program and just took it week by week.
Jon, have you tried some other shoes? IMHO I really think the minimalist shoe/barefoot thing is the way to go. Your results may vary of course, but I've got a crooked leg with an 18inch titanium rod in it and I run with pretty much no issues. Lots of info on teh interwebz about shoes and running injuries.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have been going on Super long walks lately. When I get bored or tired of TV or my Dad. I just put on the Ipod and walk for a couple of miles. When I am in the Park I sometimes come across a group of trail runners. They crank up trails I have difficulty walking on. It is quite amazing. I wish I had the resolve to consistently excercise. But I don't...

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
Hate to be the bearer of bad news Jon, but.....
Those numbers always make me lol. I am 510 and 210, if i weighted 170 I would look like a very creepy skeleton. 2 years ago i got down to 189 w/ 5 percent body fat and wouldn't want to be smaller. Then again I am built more like a man than a women, like most guys i see these days are. Still rock a 32 waist and I'm obese?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Simply measuring height and weight is a pretty useless indicator of overall fitness. The same numbers could come from a fat slob and a totally fit person carrying extra muscle.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Snow shoveling/sweeping, that's what. From Thursday to this morn, I've done it 6 times during our storm. I know, big deal, it was only 3-6" each time. Just to go out and do it. If I would just remember to alternate right-to-left and left-to-right throwing, I'd be fine.

Oh, to have a 'cross bike and really enjoy the snow right now...........
I boarded heavenly from the 11th to the 15th (left just before7' of snow fell) then left for Terlingua on the 16th for 3 days of desert mountain biking. Wasn’t great perpetration but made from a totally awesome week.

wow... i thought only us girls worried about our weight...lol guess guys stress more about it.
i agree height and weight don't say much... i have friends my same numbers who are chubby... muscle weighs more than fat!
as for cross training i run at least two miles a day, usually play some basketball and always ride. don't have a car or license for that matter. but someone here said swimming and i have to agree when i take the time to get in the pool that is when i am strongest.
i have found if you exercise enough you can eat almost anything you want.... thus since i love running, cheeseburgers, shakes, pie and pasta can stay on the menu!
the easiest way to stay fit is make it your lifestyle... i run because it is fun, bike to get around and jump things :) (it is easier to always ride when you have no choice) and then i am fit.... i never think about working out or if i should, like most of my unhealthy girlfriends, they spend so much time planning to be fit it never happens.
also, go shovel some dirt fixing up your local bike trails, it will help everyone.:thumb: