Quantcast

What makes YOUR state unique?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I want to talk about where people live and why they like it there. Or more specifically, your state in general, and things about it that other states dont have. I guess the geography thread got me thinking.

I'll start w/ TENNESSEE:

In Tennessee, there truly is year round riding, but its not like Cali or something where you dont have a winter, because we typically get a couple of decent snowfalls every year. And the summers are hot and muggy, but the great thing is that in TN you are NEVER far from a nice lake or cool river to hang out in if you're hot. And where most of the state parks have riding, there's also a nice public water near.
In TN, we also have EVERY major landform, from Mountains to plains to plateus. It's not the rockies, but we have some of the highest peaks in the Eastern US.
TN has three big cities, Nashville, Knoxville and Memphis and also a TON of universities. Most notably Vanderbilt and University of TN. People tend to think of TN as a bunch of rednecks, and while we do have our fair share, but most people are really laid back and willing to help anybody out. Flat tire? No tools? No problem.
Also, there's so much wildlife and wild land out here. Not 20 minutes outside of town, there's just huge tracts of forest, privately owned for the most part, farmed, etc. You cant beat it.
Its super cheap to live here. The fishing is AMAZING especially if you like smallmouth, and the riding is on the rise. I love it here.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
SkaredShtles said:
I can't think of anything..............

Utah's better for pretty much everything except beer.

:D
Are you kidding, CO is an outdoorsman's DREAM! Tons of land to ride and a bike culture second to none.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Personally where I live I enjoy the fact that I can hop in the car and be in NYC to enjoy some culture in about 1hr or heading the other way I can be up in the mtns in 10min.
We can ride between March and Oct which is fine because the other months I can snowboard. I enjoy the balance of sports, I like change and get burned out easily doing only one thing.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
SkaredShtles said:
I can't think of anything..............

Utah's better for pretty much everything except beer.

:D

Dude YOU ARE ONE FUNNY GUY! Colorado pretty much kicks the hell out of most other states.... EXCEPT FOR BEER! You need to get out more.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
It's not necessarily Connecticut, but New England as a whole that I enjoy. I like the changing of the seasons. I reckon I'd get bored with warm weather all the time, believe it or not. As much as I'd love to be able to ride year round, I'd miss skiing and snow too much. Autumn riding in New England is just amazing...cool weather and colorful woods. I've got a ton of great technical riding spots within an hour, and some of the best skiing New England has to offer is just a couple of hours away. We've also got excellent seafood, microbreweries, and even a few small vineyards that produce pretty good wine.

If we need a big city fix, we're 100 miles from Boston and 100 miles from NYC. When I need to fly somewhere, our airport is 20 minutes away and is about the easiest airport to get in and out of due to its relatively low volume.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I Are Baboon said:
It's not necessarily Connecticut, but New England as a whole that I enjoy. I like the changing of the seasons. I reckon I'd get bored with warm weather all the time, believe it or not. As much as I'd love to be able to ride year round, I'd miss skiing and snow too much. Autumn riding in New England is just amazing...cool weather and colorful woods. I've got a ton of great technical riding spots within an hour, and some of the best skiing New England has to offer is just a couple of hours away. We've also got excellent seafood, microbreweries, and even a few small vineyards that produce pretty good wine.

If we need a big city fix, we're 100 miles from Boston and 100 miles from NYC. When I need to fly somewhere, our airport is 20 minutes away and is about the easiest airport to get in and out of due to its relatively low volume.
No wonder 40 billion people live up there. :thumb: :p

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
metalhead119042 said:
we just won the stanley cup :)
NC and TN a peas in a pod. Except we dont have a coastline. We should prolly be called West Carolina or something.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
SkaredShtles said:
California comes in third behind Utah & New Mexico. :thumb: It'd probably be first if it wasn't for the rediculous gobs of people who live there. :D
Exactly. I could see myself living in Northern California, but wow, those people... not sure if I could do it.

Plus paying a million dollars for a house with no drywall seems like a bad deal.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
BurlyShirley said:
I want to talk about where people live and why they like it there. Or more specifically, your state in general, and things about it that other states dont have.
What I like about where I live? <5 miles from the beach, ~30 min from NYC. What I don't like? ~1 hour to good trails, but I find some fun stuff to tool around on.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
BurlyShirley said:
Exactly. I could see myself living in Northern California, but wow, those people... not sure if I could do it.

Plus paying a million dollars for a house with no drywall seems like a bad deal.
It's a differnt type of world out here. And about the million dollar house with no drywall. Did you know for an extra $100,000 you can actually have running water indoors too:cool:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Brian HCM#1 said:
It's a differnt type of world out here. And about the million dollar house with no drywall. Did you know for an extra $100,000 you can actually have running water indoors too:cool:
That's simply insane to me. For a million dollars, I seriouly could get 500 acres of land and a 3 story 5 bedroom house, NO PROBLEM.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I Are Baboon said:
Check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_population_density

CT and MA are both pretty dense (goddamn crowded suburbs).

I can't find the stats on purely the hippie population, but I am willing to bet VT is right up there.
on a person/sq ft metric, CT and MA both swamp VT (or any other NE state w/ the probable exception of RI), but in the hippies per 100,000 people category, i would bet that VT wins. esp if you take northampton away from MA.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BurlyShirley said:
That's simply insane to me. For a million dollars, I seriouly could get 500 acres of land and a 3 story 5 bedroom house, NO PROBLEM.
but you would be in TENNESSEE.

i'm sure for a million dollars i could buy 20% of ecuador.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
narlus said:
on a person/sq ft metric, CT and MA both swamp VT (or any other NE state w/ the probable exception of RI), but in the hippies per 100,000 people category, i would bet that VT wins. esp if you take northampton away from MA.
Have you ever met a native Vermonter who was not a hippie?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
One more good thing about our neck of the woods: There are at least a couple dozen monkeys within a two hour drive who actually SHOW UP for rides and events. Just look at the Monkeyfest attendance, 24 hour races we've done, and all the pics we've posted. :)