Quantcast

What multi tool for the ride?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I had some issues lately, nothing big just finicky little things while riding. If I am at a shuttle ride usually I bring the bigger set, but lately it seems to happen more on the free ride end of things and I'd like to bring a tool for the shuttle rides as well. Mainly for adjustments and the misc. little BS that seems to happen along the way.

Obvious choices are:
topeak alien 2
spec. multi
What other tools are recomended.

I need to adjust suspension and bar angles sometimes to dial it in and waiting till I get down then adjusting it gets a little tedious, I'd rather do it ride it stop and re adjust.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i had the original Alien for about 3yrs and loved it.

this year i picked up a deal with Crank Bros and decided to give the Multi-19 a shot.

of the 2, i liked the feel of the Alien in my hands, but i didn't like having to seperate the tool all the time. i haven't used the chaintool on my CB yet, but i really, really liked the one on the Alien. the knife on the Alien was insanely sharp, but i never used it. i was always afraid i was gonna slice my hand while using the tire levers, though.

so far, i'm liking the CB more, as a whole. i wish i didn't have to carry around a set of tire levers, but that's ok. it's smaller, has everything i need, and nothing i don't.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I just carry a Park Allen set, and on longer rides, I'll bring a park chain breaker. Pretty much the only thing I give up with that set up is the screw drivers and spoke wrench. It's sooo nice having a regular set of allens when something needs to get adjusted, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Heck, when I race XC, I carry that Allen in my jersey and it's awesome.

xdbpxd

Chimp
Apr 19, 2005
chico
My advice is go witht he Alien 2. I got the tool in december and i LOVE it. It has every single thing you would ever need to repair a bike at any time. From tire levers to chain braker, every allen up to 8mm to bottle opener. It has saved me numerous times and woudl not go with any other multi tool. Also it is very strong and you can adjust the resistance of how each tool flips out of place. Anyways i would say give it a try.. it has so many uses it is crazy.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
xdbpxd said:
My advice is go witht he Alien 2. I got the tool in december and i LOVE it. It has every single thing you would ever need to repair a bike at any time. From tire levers to chain braker, every allen up to 8mm to bottle opener. It has saved me numerous times and woudl not go with any other multi tool. Also it is very strong and you can adjust the resistance of how each tool flips out of place. Anyways i would say give it a try.. it has so many uses it is crazy.
I can't speak to the quality of any of the other tools, but I've had the same Alien for probably about 6 years now and it has never let me down. Both of the tires levers are broken, but I bring a pair of Pedros levels in my pack anyway. My brother has had his Alien even longer than I've had mine and it's still going strong as well.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I liked my Crank Bros tool until the torx stripped after using it 4 times.

UPDATE: i just got off my a$$ and emailed CB to see if they'd warrantee the thing.

-r in NY

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The crank brother's has some faults. The chain tool doesn't push the links out all the way, which can be very annoying. The screwdrivers are next to useless because they are so short and don't lock into place. Try manuvering one to adjust a limit screw, it's very difficult with the CB tool. Never EVER leave it in your pack after it's gotten wet. It rusts like crazy.

It's not bad, but it could be a lot better. For the money it's pretty good though.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeah I checked out the alien 2 and like it, It's size is a little discouraging but it does have everything you need which would be a plus in the convienence factor.
The crank bros does look sharp but the rusting kinda detours that idea.
I'll do the topeak alien 2 and if I like it great if not then ther will be one for sale on here in this board for real cheap.
Thanks guys.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I ride with a generic multi-allen, Leatherman, and Pedro's mini chain tool. An extra few ounces doesn't bother me, especially when I do not have to worry so much about breaking "emergency tools." It also makes any on-trail repairs much faster.

vwmtnbiker

Monkey
May 15, 2004
manasscrack
i'd have to vote for the CB-17...saved my a$$ many times. mine has been left in a soaked camelbak for a couple days and i havent seen any rust. also, and this is jjust personal pref., i actually prefer the chain tool on the CB over the alien simply because i dont have to keep fumbling with the other half of the tool. and the spoke wrenches are nicely integrated into the chain tool and are much easier to use than the ones on the alien. just my $.02

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I've always used the topeak alien tool...a little bit bulky but whatever, it works. I'm sure I can find a spot in my frame to secure it so I don't have to bother having it on me.