Quantcast

What New Trail Bike at 2K(ish)-2.5k

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Being I am coming from DH and will be buying a "trail bike" I'm just wondering what you guys suggest for around 2K (retail). Ideally I'd build a Nomad or 6.6 and take the financial heat, but I don't know that SC bikes fit me very well.

Geometry is the most important thing to me. I like a longer top tube slacker head tube.

Feb 13, 2006
Not too many options at 2500 buckos, so I'd suggest Special Ed Enduro or a Yeti 575.

Or if you can find an '06 Turner RFX on sale in your size and build it up, that would be better than either the Enduro or 575.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I really like my 575, slack head angle, feels great, i have had mine for 1.5yrs and has treated me well. I hit smaller jumps and drops with it, but nothing that isn't somewhat smooth.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Ironhorse MK3

I really like mine. The only thing I would change is a slacker head angle. The BB is low enough that you can run a longer fork like the 66 light or pike to slacken it out some. Pedals great. Less filling.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
transition bottlerocket. long top tube, slack HA. a bit heavy, but not bad. you could build it up around 35 lbs if you went with air fork & shock choices, single plys, 28mm width rims, and xt cranks.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
FYI I have owned a Prophet and actually was not overly impressed by it. It was okay, but the rear end had mad amounts of flex and the single pivot was really hard for me to get used to. Anytime I was trying to work the bike it felt like it would fold in half under me. For this reason (and others) I'm going linkage. 4 Bar, Meastro, FSR, VPP

More or less just double checking nothing unreal came out. I think the bottom of the line Enduro is what fits the bill best...

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
For that price range i'd look at giant, specialized or iron horse. You aren't going to get as much in a smaller company as you would from these 3.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The MKIII feels tall and short and steep. Not what you're looking for IMO.

Maybe a Specialized Stumpjumper?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
The MKIII feels tall and short and steep. Not what you're looking for IMO.
Tall? I don't find that my 17" feels that way at all. I was part way through a 3 hour ride the other day and I was thinking how some bikes feel like you are riding in them and some feel like you are riding on them. My mk3 definitely feels like i'm riding in it.

Short. yeah, i like my bikes that way.

Steep. I haven't measured mine but with my pike 454 on the front it feels plenty slack. Supposedly this years mk3 will be slightly slacker. You might also want to check out the 6 point. I have a feeling that could be my next bike.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Comparing back2back, my M Stumpjumper is lower/longer/slacker than my friend's 18" MKIII. His has a Revelation, mine's got a TALAS 32mm.

I definately like the DW platform a lot more than FSR, though.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I've been really happy with my 06 Enduro Expert. Pretty light, and got it for less than your $2500 cap with change to spare...