Quantcast

What plan(s) do you have for setting a new personal best?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I don't have a specific plan yet, but let's hear what you've got going... whether you're focused on doing your first 50 or 100 miler or setting a new personal speed record.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I've been making progressions in my riding (all disciplines) steadily over the past several years, so I guess I'll just keep doing what I've been doing...riding.

No specific goals other than to enjoy every ride - be it road or dirt. The only 'goal' I have set is to do an out-and-back from my house in West Seattle to Snoqualmie Pass, which is a 120 mile roundtrip. I've only gotten 2/3 of the way on my own so far. This year's different...I have a friend that lives on the pass, so I'll have a place to refuel/recharge before the haul back.:cool:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
The Toninator said:
I wana do back to back double century’s.
Do me a favor and race the TransRockies with Derek. That was something we were always wanting to do, but my recovery is going to hold us back now.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I Are Baboon said:
No plans. I just get and my bike and enjoy the ride without making some kind of contest out of it.
I bet I can not make a contest out of riding better than you can.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I Are Baboon said:
No plans. I just get and my bike and enjoy the ride without making some kind of contest out of it.
G'morning Mr. Killjoy.

nothin' wrong with having goals.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
DBR X6 RIDER said:
This year's different...I have a friend that lives on the pass, so I'll have a place to refuel/recharge before the haul back.:cool:
sounds cool. Is it mostly a climb from the start to the pass/turn-around? If so, then the return should be easy, yeah?

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
LordOpie said:
....first 50 or 100 miler.....
Since the acquisition of the Croix De Fer I plan on attempting both of these at some point later this year and I will be working on riding a fair number of the Mountain passes to help get in shape to accomplish these endeavors... :D

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
LordOpie said:
sounds cool. Is it mostly a climb from the start to the pass/turn-around? If so, then the return should be easy, yeah?
Essentially. The first 20 miles out of town are rolling with a few short, steep parts, then it's a long, gradual climb until you're about a mile or two from the summit where it gets steep.
Fun downhill for the first 15-20 miles going back - the small rollers and short steeps towards the end of the return aren't so bad except that your legs are usually done for by then.:dead:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Heidi said:
Do me a favor and race the TransRockies with Derek. That was something we were always wanting to do, but my recovery is going to hold us back now.
I wish. I'm out of vacation time AND money (building up the X.) A buddy just called me this morning about doing Leadville and i cant do that either. AND i dont think i'm up to dereks fitness right now (or ever.)

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Westy said:
You have your mile centuries, metric centuries and Tons inch double centuries. :p
miles only :mad: 400 for a weekend will be a stretch but i'm mostly wanting to get in a good 20/22 hours in the 36 (12 hours ride 12 hours rest 12 hour ride)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Perhaps my post came out all wrong. I do not set goals when I ride. Of course I want to get stronger and faster, but that just happens naturally the more one rides. I do not enjoy tracking all my ride times and mileage because that turns riding into more of a chore. Then again, I am not a racer.

Just my cent and a half. Carry on

:)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I Are Baboon said:
Perhaps my post came out all wrong. I do not set goals when I ride. Of course I want to get stronger and faster, but that just happens naturally the more one rides. I do not enjoy tracking all my ride times and mileage because that turns riding into more of a chore. Then again, I am not a racer.

I was just razzing you. :)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I Are Baboon said:

have you done a century?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
LordOpie said:
Do you want to ride a century? If so, that's a goal :blah:
Sure, I'd love to do a century some day. But a goal is something you work towards, and I am basically riding aimlessly right now. :D

I am actually just trying to keep my legs working hard so I can put in a decent showing at the Adrenalin race I'm doing....so I suppose that's a goal, although it's not really specific.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
I will settle for just one double century. Finding company for it is proving hard though, and it would be amazingly boring to do alone. I will, but it will be boring.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I think my race related goals will have to stop for now, training for endurance and speed is time consuming and not always fun. Now that the man has forced me to work for a living I have different goals. For riding I am just hoping to get in one hour every work day and some nice long ones in every weekend. I've already done all the milestones (except the back to back double century dealio :eek: ) as far as distance and touring goes so no personal bests are on the horizon.

By this time next year I hope to have a brand new Serotta Csi lugged steel frame to replace my aging NSX, I've already got the Chorus group so I can probably dot hat for about $2,000.00.

The next goal is a custom touring bike that is specific to the conditions of the PNW back roads. I've already decided that I will have Rodriquez in Seattle build the frame. It will basically be a mountain bike built with standard touring geometry but with a shorter top tube so that I will have a more upright riding position, running ear will be full XT integrated with hydraulic disks. I plan haul a trailer and tour every forest service road in Western Washington.

Thats going to be a lot of shoes... :thumb:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I Are Baboon said:

great to hear from my teammate!!!

:D

You have to do what makes you happy - me, I like goals, I like keeping track of things (including my riding), I like racing - it keeps me motivated to push myself and a reason to go to the gym in the winter and I get a high when I do good in a race or accomplish a goal :thumb:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
last year was the 1st year I had a road bike since I was 15......one goal accomplished was a 50 mile ride (solo)

This year, I made another goal already - I did a ride that averaged over 20 (it was a group ride - we did just over 40 miles)

current goals: to do my 1st every century (July 3 info ) and I want to my 1st ever road race

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Well, I will (hopefully) have my first (real) road bike ever starting this summer and plan on getting some miles in. Until now all my road miles have been on a fixie and as I spend most of my time in the hills it takes a while to get much mileage in as I am slow on the flats and the downhills(and kind of slow on the climbs too). So I'm hoping to up my average road ride from about 28 miles to around 40.

I'd like to break 35 minutes on the Highway 9 climb(at 40 right now, sub 38 is considered strong). I'd like to do a double century(so far my longest time in the saddle is 130 miles). I would also like to try a road race. It seems completely different from mountain bike racing and I want to check out the strategy aspects. Hopefully by the end of summer I am ready for Nationals(XC) and will be able to podium there(first year of racing, qualified already so now it is just some training and a few more races).

I've got a few more goals, but I plan on waiting until I get this road bike finished before I really sit down and write them out.

Good luck to the others. If you are in the Bay Area and want to ride some let me know.

The Ito

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Climbing REP in under an hour, on a double :D

Edit: doing the Triple this year.
This past week of rain put a hurt on my base! I went out today and almost passed out doing an easy 20 miler I usually whip out in an hour after work. I got really light headed, almost puked, started to get the shakes and a cramp that almost crippled me. I think the dinner the night before put a hurt on me - greasy bbq food and no breakfast.