Quantcast

What race bike to buy for a new racer.

stubby

Turbo Monkey
Mar 5, 2005
Davidson, NC AKA DURTY THIRTY
hey i am new to bmx racing and i want a new bike, i was thinking about the haro sx group 1 xl, do you know if this is a good bike? I would like future upgradeability. I was also thinking about the fmf complete. it is light 1.5 lbs lighter frame than the sx. any thoughts would be great. I was also thinking about buying a used brew racing frame, but those are alot of money...

Hucknificent

Chimp
Mar 24, 2005
Buy a complete and upgrade! Most come w/ top of the line parts now. FMF's are nice. 1.5lbs is not gonna make that much of a diff. Just find some you're comfy on. Don't sweat stuff like weight until you're getting really quick. Skill first then equipment. Who knows? Buy time you get ready to spend lots of money on a bike, you might find someone who wants to cut you a deal if you fly their colors. Also, a lot of companies offer co-sponsorship programs and offer bikes and parts at a discount.

stubby

Turbo Monkey
Mar 5, 2005
thanks for the advice, the haro sx group 1 xl comp is on sale at sun and ski sports for 350$, do you think i should get it? It has good cranks and stuf on it too I think, i just wanted to know if anyone knew anything about them and im seriously doubt ill get sponsord, my first bmx race was saturday and bmx riders are reallyy fasttt.
thanks, paul

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
I ride a Felt Sector - bought it stock and upgraded as the season progressed. If the Haro fits you fine - get it. Basically get anything that you feel comfortable on. If you find that you really get into it, you can always upgrade parts or get a better bike.

stubby

Turbo Monkey
Mar 5, 2005
yeah, i want something that has future upgradeability, but I dont want to buy a bike witha bad frame because I am looking to make a good investment for the long run as in a bike with pretty good parts, but the frame has to be good. so are the racing xr cranks good, the haro fork ok? the bars, wheelset,etc.... thanks
paul, btw those felt sectors are nice!!!, i just saw one on the internet!!!!

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
stubby said:
yeah, i want something that has future upgradeability, but I dont want to buy a bike witha bad frame because I am looking to make a good investment for the long run as in a bike with pretty good parts, but the frame has to be good. so are the racing xr cranks good, the haro fork ok? the bars, wheelset,etc.... thanks
paul, btw those felt sectors are nice!!!, i just saw one on the internet!!!!
For $350 you're not going to get the best parts. The frame is good and you can certainly upgrade it and keep it awhile. The fork is heavy - depending on your weight you can go with a carbon fork or an aluminum one. I use a Marzocchi Sinister fork. Wheels are slightly heavy and I'd upgrade that too at some point. The cranks will work fine for now - but another future upgrade. The other parts are all decent, but I'm sure as you get more into the racing scene you'll be upgrading those too. Have fun w/ the bike - bmxing is fun.

stubby

Turbo Monkey
Mar 5, 2005
Well it is a 380 doollar bike just on sale, ANd the xr cranks are supposed to be the oem version of the teams, and the frame weighs a bit less than last years, do the haro racing cassete hubs have cogs or drivers availiable, are they compatible with the odyssey? I was thinking about running a 25-9t like on my street bike and a hollow pin chain. If not ill buy some fmf wheels in the future,

i ride naked

Chimp
Jun 6, 2005
stubby said:
hey i am new to bmx racing and i want a new bike, i was thinking about the haro sx group 1 xl, do you know if this is a good bike? I would like future upgradeability. I was also thinking about the fmf complete. it is light 1.5 lbs lighter frame than the sx. any thoughts would be great. I was also thinking about buying a used brew racing frame, but those are alot of money...
if u want a new race bike for not alot of $ that is strong check out the specialized hemi i have one that i used to race but i dirt jump it now and i love it not only is it lite and strong but it looks bad a$$ 2. check out specialized.com