Quantcast

what race bike?

orradamov

Chimp
Jul 21, 2010
after selling my 07 morewood izimu i'm looking for a new DH race bike.
I have been waiting for the evil revolt for 6 month now and i dont think its worth any more waiting.

the main reason i sold my morewood because their large was too short for me
and i want a bigger frame.
i'm 6.23 feet so i want a large frame.
i've tested a large V10 and the suspension was too much for me but the size was perfect.

i'm thinking of getting any of this frames:
Knolly Podium
yeti 303RDH
transition TR450
and if the new turner DHR is in stock its also a good option.

i know they all good frames but i want a frame that is sharp as my morewood
but will handle better with rough stuff and will help me go as fast as possible

what do you think will be best?

thanks a lot and sorry for the poor English..

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
just wait for a week and see theres some good things promised from euro bike from morewood

invol2ver

Chimp
Aug 23, 2010
also interested to hear about this myself. was about to say what about the revolt. the podium and the revolt were at the top of my list. also what about the gambler? any thoughts

chup29

Chimp
Sep 9, 2009
Ashland
i waited almost 10 months for my revolt - finally gave up and ordered an m9... i would go makulu for your situation though, they are dope frames that ride really really nice...

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
my makulu is very long in a large, and I'm 6'3'', but my next choice would be a transition tr450.

orradamov

Chimp
Jul 21, 2010
I see in the knolly website that the wheelbase of the large podium is huge!
The medium podium wheelbase is larger then santa cruz v10 large and evil revolt XL.
Have anyone here have real experience with a large knolly podium
and can tell me how big this bike really feel?

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
I see in the knolly website that the wheelbase of the large podium is huge!
The medium podium wheelbase is larger then santa cruz v10 large and evil revolt XL.
Have anyone here have real experience with a large knolly podium
and can tell me how big this bike really feel?
feels alot like my medium 08 sx trail in the lower bb setting and 180mm fork in the front (64°), but with more travel. plows through everything and is more stable at speed, jumps on aline feel sometimes a little bit strange, there a shorter wheelbase would be probably better.

ps: i'm 184cm tall

Last edited:

stringbean

Chimp
Aug 30, 2008
im 6'4 and ride a large 303r, was instantly comfortable when i got on it and just feels so good whenever i ride it. I have been told that waiting for the new model 303 will be worth it, so maby hold off for that. had a quick ride on the tr aswell, pretty sweet bike aswell.

orradamov

Chimp
Jul 21, 2010
i did couple of test runs on a medium knolly podium and it was amazing.
it was little short for me but it had what i was looking in a frame.
its a very playable bike and easy to move around but with a very good suspension and very good at high speed.
i liked it better than my old morewood and my friend v10 that i have also tested.
next week im going to order the large podium, i will post photos as soon as i get it :)

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
i did couple of test runs on a medium knolly podium and it was amazing.
it was little short for me but it had what i was looking in a frame.
its a very playable bike and easy to move around but with a very good suspension and very good at high speed.
i liked it better than my old morewood and my friend v10 that i have also tested.
next week im going to order the large podium, i will post photos as soon as i get it :)
you'll love it..

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I'm on an XL FTW FB10. Love it. I'm 6'6" and it fits great. Word form some coming off the Orange 224 is that the FB10 is better in every way.

The Gambler is a cool bike, but really compact for tall guys. The Knolly is a great bike.

Last edited:

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
Orr
you liked the knolly feel because it is a fsr bike.

So go for the new demo

(but nothing will help you... My sunday will always be faster than any of your bikes :-))

invol2ver

Chimp
Aug 23, 2010
gambler frame and shock 13lbs. podium is 10.5lbs frame and shock. i have always been interested in the gambler

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Make sure you get one with:

1) Two wheels; and

2) Suspension.

You'll be golden.

dh_newbie

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
Hong Kong
i'm thinking of getting any of this frames:
Knolly Podium
yeti 303RDH
transition TR450
and if the new turner DHR is in stock its also a good option.

i know they all good frames but i want a frame that is sharp as my morewood but will handle better with rough stuff and will help me go as fast as possible

what do you think will be best?

thanks a lot and sorry for the poor English..
- Knolly podium - I think the linkage design is not bad but I haven't see it has been use for race.

- 303R DH - as you see at the EURO bike show, the 303R is not the finishing product, you can wait or looking for their NEW 303 if they will make the non-25th years version coming out? and price range...hm little bit high

- Transition TR450 - I have it and I really love this frame, I have own the Cannondale Judge before but the TR450 totally beat down it. The TR450 have low CG, very good in pedaling (may be most people will say Single pivot pedaling always is good) Head angle can be adjustable. Well it seem it is the most adjustment as a DH race bike that you wanted, right?
or you can wait for few month to get the lighter weight TR or if you can get it now, actually TR450 sale in the world is always out of stock at this year.

Never mind, I also writing in poor english ... LOL

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
You'd be crazy not to go with the new Demo. It's the fastest bike in the WORLD!

sgarstin

Chimp
Feb 26, 2010
I would highly recommend the Knolly Podium. I have a medium with a Cane Creek double barrel. I know the guy personally (Alan Crisp) who designed and tested the bike. They went over many different geometry configurations throughout the 09 season and I think he got the right one for a pure race bike. Seriously it is spot on.

I am riding this bike for 2010 and came off a dialed Morewood Makulu in 2009. The biggest difference is the increase in stability, and overall just makes everything "easy" to ride. It is the best bike I have ridden, and the Morewood was an amazing bike.

Here are some of the geometry specs that I have accurately measured on my medium Podium:

wheelbase: 47.25"
Chainstay: 17.7"
Bar Height (with forks as low as they can go): 41.5". I could also get my bar height to 40.5 if I wanted to.
bb height: 13.2"
seat tube: 16" (stupid low standover)
head angle: 64

Keep in mind that you can raise your forks another inch or so if you wanted to. This will raise the bb and slacken the head angle. Yes the BB is very low but I would not change it for anything.

Most riders who ride my bike around say the cockpit feels "short" on the medium. Keep in mind that they moved the seat tube forward to eliminate tire buzz and then keep the seat tube, and therefore standover, as low as possible. I run my seat low, about 3 inches from slammed, and get no tire buzz.

Last edited:

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Whats the deal with the Gambler. CRC has a good deal on frames and I like the design but the reviews are always negative regarding weight. Researching frame weight seems to give different results. One site lists frame at 4.8kg with DHX air. Some are talking 10.5lbs but dont specify with or with out shock. Then above post by Sethimus gives same weight as just under
5kg but no shock. I love the adjustablitly options and would definately use them but while I am no racer I prefer a lighter bike to suit my style. I like to pop around on the trail and not full speed plow.

10.5lbs with shock is not welter weight but with good parts should bring my build in at close to 40-41lbs.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
Whats the deal with the Gambler. CRC has a good deal on frames and I like the design but the reviews are always negative regarding weight. Researching frame weight seems to give different results. One site lists frame at 4.8kg with DHX air. Some are talking 10.5lbs but dont specify with or with out shock. Then above post by Sethimus gives same weight as just under
5kg but no shock. I love the adjustablitly options and would definately use them but while I am no racer I prefer a lighter bike to suit my style. I like to pop around on the trail and not full speed plow.

10.5lbs with shock is not welter weight but with good parts should bring my build in at close to 40-41lbs.
i postet the weight scott states on their site. the link to the original website is even in the same post? should be legit if its directly from the manufacturer...

invol2ver

Chimp
Aug 23, 2010
i'm pretty sure the gambler can be set up to pop. that bike is a bruiser. i would also like to hear more from gambler owners. check out the coastal crew videos if you question the gambler pop

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

They are heavy. A bit under 5kg w/o shock. A friend of mine went for it because of the deal and he loves his. For the price they can be had its a great bike.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I suggest an 07 Izumu...those things are killer. And make sure it fits a little smaller so you can ride aggressively on it.

jaykay elloell