Quantcast

What Rims for Large Guys

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
I am building a 32 hole wheelset, for Trials/Dirt/Street riding with some drops, on my Banshee Morphine, what kind of rims would hold up to a 260lb rider, weight does not matter, disc and v-brake selections please. I like the Arrows, but I was also thinking of having the option of v-brakes. I ride Atomlabs 36 hole right now on my Bullit (w/ a few problems)

Let me know what you think :help:

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
With V option excludes A LOT of great strong rims, and your best choices. IMO first you need to evaluate how badly you want/need that V-brake option.

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
I am all about the Disc then, I will be running them, the "ONLY" reason I thought of the V option was because I was not sure of how much/ exactly what the bike was going to be used for. :thumb: Suggestions now......? :D

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Ditto on the Arrows. I know a 300lb dude who's been racing on DHX's for a couple of years and loves them. I've got a pair as well and also think the world of 'em. They just work.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
The Surly Large Marge. :thumb: 65mm wide, V compatible...hehehe, but really, Arrows are very nice rims. Arrows for president, they get my vote.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
You may want to try sun eight tracks (I think thats what they're called). Arrows would be good too.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I'm 240+ with gear, the DH bike has Arrow DHX's, 32h, laced 3x with 14g stright spokes.

I have NO complaints what so ever with these. I could not ask for more in a wheel as far as strength goes. They are a little on the heavy side but I'd take that over messing with bent rims anyday.

I rode their FRX rims on my FR/XC bike and they held up great. I wouldn't DH or do drops with the FRX rims just because they aren't nearly as burley as the DHX.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Hehe.. This is like when someone posts a "what seatpost should I buy?" thread. Thomson, Thomson, Thomson, love my Thomson...

Sounds like a clear choice to me :D

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
hey i have a morphine also and i'm a big guy. first the morphine is disc only so there goes using v brake. so far the rim of my choice is the intense mag30. its the only rim that has lasted for my. i have also heard good things about the arrow rims but have no experince with them

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
I'd say some mag30's... They are UGLY and super HEAVY, but they last. I'd just say get some 321's and change your riding style... Seriously.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Arrow or Atomlab, both are strong and i have owned both as well.

edit:

The mag 30's blow like a thai hooker, i cracked mine @ 120 pounds. And the Arrows are heavy **** with big ass weldes, so they are prob like twice as heavy as the mavics. :eek:

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Yeti DHer said:
I'd just say get some 321's and change your riding style... Seriously.
Are you kidding me? Changing your riding style is like telling the fat kid not to take the candy bar. I agree some with it but still........mainly just don't point and shoot, try to go around somethings but if all else fails the Arrows will take it.

I think my Arrow DHX rims, 32h weigh in the 840g range. Mavic D321's are what, 675g or somethin like that? It's a good weight difference. like......Half a pound more rim on the Arrow's then the Mavics. The D321's (or what, EX823?) are good solid rims. I'd had gotten those if I didn't see the Arrows in action. They just have a solid track record. No one will tell you Arrow's are weak and don't last.

The MAG30's from Sun/Ringle (Intense MAG30's) are good rims as well. I'd just take the Arrow's over them.

Any of the 3 rim choices would be good. I'd go Arrow's or Mavics first though, they just seem to have higher quality etc....but really whatever the best deal you can get I'd go for.

SpeedyObnox

Monkey
Aug 7, 2004
mack said:
Arrow or Atomlab, both are strong and i have owned both as well.

edit:

The mag 30's blow like a thai hooker, i cracked mine @ 120 pounds. And the Arrows are heavy **** with big ass weldes, so they are prob like twice as heavy as the mavics. :eek:
wtf, you need a new wheel builder. www.kovachiwheels.com for you.
does nobody ride mammoths anymore?

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
Thanks for everything, ordered some arrows, I actually ordered enough to put on my bullit, and my new Banshee, if it ever comes. The banshee was supposed to be here today. I hate DHL and customs. Anyone want a bullit>??? I want a VP Free.................. :drool:

SpeedyObnox

Monkey
Aug 7, 2004
ZJChaser said:
I'm running Sun Mammoths on my bullit. But I'm going to go pick up a Hadley/Mag 30 wheelset this weekend hopefully. The mammoth wheelset will be set aside for whatever HT I get in the future.
how much heavier are mag 30s than mammoths? i run a mammoth rear right now, and rhyno lite front. will be UPGRADING to a RHYNO LITE XL rear when i get my sunday, MMMM MMMMM! :love: mammoths are too heavy for me, im just 150 lbs, and i can lighten up about ten if i get back to it. rhyno lites get the job done fer me.

Edit: whoops! am i a derailleur?

ZJChaser

Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Orange County, CA
SpeedyObnox said:
how much heavier are mag 30s than mammoths? i run a mammoth rear right now, and rhyno lite front. will be UPGRADING to a RHYNO LITE XL rear when i get my sunday, MMMM MMMMM! :love: mammoths are too heavy for me, im just 150 lbs, and i can lighten up about ten if i get back to it. rhyno lites get the job done fer me.

Edit: whoops! am i a derailleur?
I'm not sure yet. don't have wheels. I only weighs 140 :D I'm not to sure that the Mag 30s are much heavier than the Mammoths if any at all.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
These are WAY Hardcore! :rolleyes: :D

Yay for surly for making the most rediculous things ever... something crazy like 65 mm wide... :stosh:

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Bldr_Freerider said:
These are WAY Hardcore! :rolleyes: :D

Yay for surly for making the most rediculous things ever... something crazy like 65 mm wide... :stosh:
Was your whole post sarcastic or have you never heard of / seen a snow/sand bike setup?

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Bulldog said:
Was your whole post sarcastic or have you never heard of / seen a snow/sand bike setup?

It was all sarcastic. He asked for burly rims, so I gave him burly rims... I actually never considered using them in a snow/sand setup and I agree, they would be a good option for that, but that wasn't my point. I found them to be rather funny so I figured other people would too -- it's not as if I'm the only frikkin' person on this planet who finds them to be crazy looking.

Oh, BTW, on a serious note, pretty much the commonly reoccurring replies would be a good bet. I'm running the D321's they're awesome, but I can't say for a heavier person, seeing as I'm about 135 lbs. Mag 30's, Arrows, any of them would be fine, but I agree with a previous post, riding style/smoothness plays a big role into choosing rims.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Spunger said:
I think my Arrow DHX rims, 32h weigh in the 840g range. Mavic D321's are what, 675g or somethin like that?
go-ride has the weights llisted as:

Arrow DHX = 800g
Mavic EX729 (D321) = 670g

an online weight conversion tool says the difference would be about 1/4 of a pound. for less money and what seems to be a better durability rating (only going by what i've read on here) seems like the Arrows might be a good choice.