Quantcast

What shock?

SMART

Chimp
Aug 10, 2005
Sheffield UK
Hey,

I've posted this in technical but as nobody has replied i've been told to try here.

I've got a Tomac 204 Lawill and i'm looking to upgrade the shock but the clearance is so minimal between the shock and frame i might have trouble getting one to fit.
So does anybody know of any shocks that are compatible?
I've tried Tomac direct and T-F tuning but neither have replied.
Thanks
-Chris

Okay.. i had one of these.. i didn't actually get around to fitting another shock, as i sold it and got a Racelink.. however..

You're only hope lies with the bottom shock mount. I was going to get another machined up moving the mount in an arc upwards slightly. I've heard one guy fitted an avy just by putting a machined plate between the mount and the frame, but all i saw this would do is send the shock mount/eyelet into the tyre.

Tisn't a complicated job, you just have to work out where you want the new eyelet to be. This shoudlnt change any of the angles if you do it correctly. I don't have any diagrams, i just hope you know what im going on about.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
dude try with your lbs and get two shocks. one with a resovoir and one with out. if the one with the resovoir fits then you have no prob and you can get any shock that you want. if not then your limitied. you next option is to look at a shocks with remote resovoirs on them (they have hoses running to the resovoirs) so that you have more room and you can mount the resovoir anywhere you want. that being said i say go with fox dhx then progressive 5th element. for shocks with remote resovoirs you are limited to avalanche and 5th element, im not sure if the dhx is offerd in a remote resovoire unless you buy a 05 turner dhr or get it pushed. and for non resovoir shocks theres only one option. a romic. so there you go problem solved.

frznnomad said:
dude try with your lbs and get two shocks. one with a resovoir and one with out. if the one with the resovoir fits then you have no prob and you can get any shock that you want. if not then your limitied. you next option is to look at a shocks with remote resovoirs on them (they have hoses running to the resovoirs) so that you have more room and you can mount the resovoir anywhere you want. that being said i say go with fox dhx then progressive 5th element. for shocks with remote resovoirs you are limited to avalanche and 5th element, im not sure if the dhx is offerd in a remote resovoire unless you buy a 05 turner dhr or get it pushed. and for non resovoir shocks theres only one option. a romic. so there you go problem solved.

Not that simple unfortunately. Spring diameter is the main problem with these frames. The shock has to be a remote res regardless, as no manufacturer makes a shock with a resevoir as small as the one on the manitou bazooka.

SMART

Chimp
Aug 10, 2005
Sheffield UK
I've looked into the adjustment of the bottom plate to move the eyelet but I can't really move it more than a few mm before the tyre fouls the shock...
I think the besst bet is going to be to sit down one day and get the spring diameters of all the shocks with remote reservoirs.
I think Manitou do a 6 way with a remote res. and they have a relatively narrow spring so thats the most obvious option.
The Romic would never fit as its a bit on the fat side.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
AR, that 204 you heard about is probably mine. I was the first person to put an Avy onto the 4 bar, and as far as I know, I'm the only person to do so. I still have the frame kicking around, and will build it up for my girlfriend to ride when she's capable enough to handle it.

I ran it with both 24" and 26" DH sized wheels/tires, no problems with clearance whatsoever. I machined an 8mm spacer to fit under the shockmount to provide clearance for the spring, and used a bit longer e2e shock to up the travel a bit while keeping the headangle close to original. She's good for 222mm now, and feels soooo nice. I only just took her apart to run my Sinister this season.

edit** I'll post pics if you're interested, the frame is 12 feet away from me.

Yeah please mate. I've always wondered how it would turn out!

Infact, didn't you post up a couple of pics onto pinkbike ages back? The bike was pretty muddy though, and not much detail in the pictures so i couldn't work out how you'de done it!

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
$#i+!! the batteries in my cam are dead, and I'm heading to a race first thing in the morning, I'll be sure to take and post pics as soon as I get back!

It was fairly simple to set up, just placed an 8mm spacer between the frame and mount, and their was *just* enough clearance for the Avy spring. Needed longer bolts to have enough threads in the frame. The only clearance issue was with the remote res hose. Running 26" required it to be run outboard of the rearend, and running 24" I was able to run it inboard of the rearend.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
get the fox rc pushed. cheaper than a new shock and will perform better. also will fit no problem.

might take a while since your in the uk though.

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
SMART said:
Hey,

I've posted this in technical but as nobody has replied i've been told to try here.

I've got a Tomac 204 Lawill and i'm looking to upgrade the shock but the clearance is so minimal between the shock and frame i might have trouble getting one to fit.
So does anybody know of any shocks that are compatible?
I've tried Tomac direct and T-F tuning but neither have replied.
Thanks
-Chris
Try an Avalanche....................they can basically make it fit what you want......it's gonna cost ya............but it's a great shock..........and the guys are cool as hell!

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I'm back from racing, and my batteries are charged!
Here's those pics:

I used a 9" e2e, with a 3" stroke. The longer e2e kept the headtube at good geo, and the longer stroke upped the travel from 204mm to 222mm. Had to send them the bushing measurements, Craig should have them on file still if you go with one of these. I ran the res hose outside of the frame with a 26" wheel, and inside with a 24".

8mm spacing was perfect, for under the mount. I machined it in an "x" pattern to keep it light. might have turned the mount 180 degrees for better clearance, but I don't remember now. You can see how it is in the pic, anyway.

Here's the clearance with a 2.35". Lots of room left. I usually ran it before with a Gazz Jr 2.6 no prob. The clearance only gets bigger as you go through the travel.

Hope this all helps!

SMART

Chimp
Aug 10, 2005
Sheffield UK
Thanks a lot- much appreciated.
How much did the shock cost? I'm assuming it was a stock shock at $600 not custom made as "racerX" suggested?
Thanks again for the help mate.

luke p

Chimp
Sep 27, 2004
chris i got the plate made up to use with it and a romic then found out the romic didnt fit. you can have the plates it you want.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
No such thing as a "stock" Avy, he builds it up for your weight and what you want it to do, then supplies bushings to fit your frame.
One of these shocks is pretty much the best feeling upgrade you can put on a bike.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
She's a too, too small! For me, anyway. I'm 6'1" and it rides like a bmx with 9" of travel...fun to toss around, but no fun to pedal.

Ah fair enough. I read somewhere the Avy deal was only possible on small frames. Maybe this is why on my medium i couldn't see a way of it working how you've done it?

I'm 6' and my medium rode like a bmx! Dread to think what yours was like!