Quantcast

What should i do if?

elf 232

fewchur serjin
Jan 5, 2007
Im in your head
#1 I do an endo and find that my arms and legs are all split in half over rocks and im 30 miles from civilization without food.
#2 I go off a dropoff and my fork explodes killing nearby woodland creatures.
#3 My Manitou Nixon fork leaks oil when i let out air pressure, what is the cause of this?

Try to answer at least one out of the three preferrably the last.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Most forks will leak a little oil at the air valve. It's just the pressure being greater on the inside than the outside. It's minimal for sure. I can't swear it's right on a Nixon, but it's common on Marzocchi, Fox, and especially Rock Shox.

elf 232

fewchur serjin
Jan 5, 2007
Im in your head
Most forks will leak a little oil at the air valve. It's just the pressure being greater on the inside than the outside. It's minimal for sure. I can't swear it's right on a Nixon, but it's common on Marzocchi, Fox, and especially Rock Shox.
ok well that makes me very satisfied that some1 else has had this problem, i got this problem on the second day i rode it after i decreased the air pressure and oil started squirting out of my shock pump
-thanx

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
make sure you let the air out when the fork is right side up and let the air out slowly. There will be a few droplets of oil but it's nothing to worry about.

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
My friend had a Nixon that blew oil out the top of the air caps every time he tried filling it, and the fork just started locking in it's travel and finaly just blew up inside, and was locked down to 0mm travel and stayed there!

He got the fork on a giant reign and had it about 1 week defore it died! Got it fixed under warranty ,and it blew up again on the next ride. It's sitten at the bike shop again, and he just bought a new fork.

elf 232

fewchur serjin
Jan 5, 2007
Im in your head
My friend had a Nixon that blew oil out the top of the air caps every time he tried filling it, and the fork just started locking in it's travel and finaly just blew up inside, and was locked down to 0mm travel and stayed there!

He got the fork on a giant reign and had it about 1 week defore it died! Got it fixed under warranty ,and it blew up again on the next ride. It's sitten at the bike shop again, and he just bought a new fork.
to be perfectly honest every fork, fox, marzocchi, manitou, all have these stories, i dont think anything inside is wrong with it i think i actually might have released too much air from it which might have caused an over amount of oil to flow in the chamber i was actually just making sure this was a regular occurence.

klutch

Monkey
Jan 25, 2007
dirty jersey
your spv chamber might need rebuilding. mine is being done right now on my manitou that i've only riden 10 times and owned since sept. this seems to be a thing with manitou they all do it.i've since bought a marzocchi and ride the **** out of it and it doesn't even hiccup.as far as the oil coming out of the shrader valve that should never happen.if some of you guys are experiencing this,your riding on broken parts and probably going to find out the hard way like i did.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
#1 I do an endo and find that my arms and legs are all split in half over rocks and im 30 miles from civilization without food.

Practice dragging yourself around with your upper lip. Start out with shorter distances but increase every week or so. Hopefully you will be up to 30 miles before shattering your limbs.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
yeah, don't listen to kultch, you only need to rebuild the SPV if you aren't getting any damping. As everyone else said, the oil is at best a remnant of the 5cc over the piston and at worst a bad piston seal. If you depressure the air side and take the top cap off, there should only be a little very thick oil over the piston. If there's the lighter oil in the piston, you might need to replace the piston seals.

Have fun, fork matenance can be fun (and horribly awful if you find smoething wrong).

dhphoto

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
Lynchburg VA
#2 I go off a dropoff and my fork explodes killing nearby woodland creatures.
#3 My Manitou Nixon fork leaks oil when i let out air pressure, what is the cause of this?

Try to answer at least one out of the three preferrably the last.
not suprised, I've seen many manitou's leak up there. most recently on a minute 3. however, I own a manitou, so I cant say I hate them. just leaky sometimes.

Squirreldh

Chimp
Dec 21, 2006
If your fork explodes at least you'll have some food around to munch on while you are hiking your busted self out of the woods. Hopefully you'll kill a bear, at least then you'll know you've got enough food to last a few days, and all the other creatures will think you are a badass, so they wont f@$& with you!