darex

Chimp
Jun 3, 2007
Last edited:

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Well, #1, my guess is that it's a scammer, or stolen.

#2 - call him, tell him you won it fair and square, and you want to pick it up.

If he says no, then negative-rep. the piss out of him on Ebay.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal

lol wth, sounds like a shady way to save on the ebay fees. You might be able to get this one on a technicality. Keep us posted.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
This is a scam or a hot bike. If you were to try to pick it up, you might get robbed or worse. I'd run far away.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Yeah, in Oakland... Sounds a bit shady to me. You might want to show up with some friends.

Also, I don't know if you can get him technically on this one. He does have the $2,500 on the shipping costs. It for sure was a cheap way around paying the high ebay costs. I think if anything you can complain to ebay and get out of having to pay for it. But you did the buy it now, which has the 'shipping costs'. So technically you agreed to pay for it. Might be something to take up with ebay to get out of it and get the seller in trouble.

Anyways, keep us posted.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Yeah, in Oakland... Sounds a bit shady to me. You might want to show up with some friends.

Also, I don't know if you can get him technically on this one. He does have the $2,500 on the shipping costs. It for sure was a cheap way around paying the high ebay costs. I think if anything you can complain to ebay and get out of having to pay for it. But you did the buy it now, which has the 'shipping costs'. So technically you agreed to pay for it. Might be something to take up with ebay to get out of it and get the seller in trouble.

Anyways, keep us posted.
Indeed, but also note in the shipping section that local pickup is available and it's free.

Seller loses. He'll probaby renege on the deal, but good luck!

darex

Chimp
Jun 3, 2007
I did some research on the seller and I found his myspace :) I don't think he will give up the bike without fight but with some friends it should be possible.
. It's crazy to go to the somebody and tell him to give up his 2500$ bike for almost free.:crazy: On the other hand I could pay someone to pick up the bike then just watch and eat some popcorn:popcorn:

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I believe you are obligated to pay the $2500 shipping fee.

He is probably trying to get out of paying ebay fees, but just because shipping is ridiculous, the bike itself is $2600, which is an ok price for a lightly used bike.

When I buy anything, I look very closely at the shipping price. It is one way to get a little extra.

BTW, if this was my sale, and you didn't ask me about the shipping fee, you'd pay it or I would file a complaint with ebay.

EDIT: I'm wrong: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-shipping.html

Excessive Shipping Charges Policy

Sellers may charge reasonable shipping and handling fees to cover the costs for mailing, packaging, and handling the items they are selling. While eBay will not prescribe exactly what a seller may or may not charge, eBay will rely on member reports and its own discretion to determine whether or not a seller’s shipping, handling, packaging, and/or insurance charges are excessive. Shipping and handling fees may not be listed as a percentage of the final sale price.

Sellers who want to be sure they are in compliance with this policy may charge actual shipping costs plus actual packaging materials cost (or less).

In addition to the final listing price, sellers are permitted to charge:

Actual Shipping cost: This is the actual cost (i.e. postage) for shipping the item.

Handling Fee: Actual packaging materials costs may be charged. A handling fee in addition to actual shipping cost may be charged if it is not excessive.

Last edited:

tmtrebor

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
I'll pick up the bike for you... pay a plane ticket and a fee of 200 dollars / free place to stay and I'll make sure I get the bike... PM me

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
This is what is going to happen:

Darex: Hey, I won your bike. I live nearby and I just want to pick it up so I don't have to pay $2500 for shipping.
Seller: No.
Darex: You're not going to sell me your bike.
Seller: No.
Darex: You suck.
Seller: (click)

darex

Chimp
Jun 3, 2007
Where in Oakland is this guy? Are we talking Piedmont or West Oakland?
I don't know really because ebay do not give a street address and there is no zip code. His phone number is registered to San Francisco, CA. I can reverse phone number to street address but it costs 15$.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I believe you are obligated to pay the $2500 shipping fee.
No, he's not. Read the shipping section of the ad. It says local pickup is available for free. I mean, there's no way in hell he's going to get the bike, but the seller is probably going to lose his eBay account.

darex

Chimp
Jun 3, 2007
No, he's not. Read the shipping section of the ad. It says local pickup is available for free. I mean, there's no way in hell he's going to get the bike, but the seller is probably going to lose his eBay account.
I'm not from the US so it could be little hard to reach the bike but if i wanted to get it it could be possible.

Last edited:

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
Ha ha ha, that's kind of funny. It's obvious what the seller was trying to do, but I think he never figured on someone local bidding on it and not paying the shipping!
Obviously you won't end up with the bike for $100. But you won it fair and square. Take it to ebay & tell them seller won't let you pick it up as stated in the ad.

If I sold a bike worth $2500 for $100 I certainly wouldn't want to give it up either. Unfortunately it's in your detriment, his ebay account gets suspended or whatever & you end up without the bargain of the century - unless of course you're willing to pay a more realistic price, talk him down from $2600 to something like $2k (or whatever it's worth to you)/

darex

Chimp
Jun 3, 2007
The seller has finally responded and wrote me that it was a mistake, there is no pick up option. This is not fair...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The seller has finally responded and wrote me that it was a mistake, there is no pick up option. This is not fair...
LOL!!!!

You must be 12 years old if you think someone is going to give his Nomad away for $100.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
that was ironic[/QUOTE
:huh:
ironic: adjective - happening in the opposite to what is expected, and typically causing wry and amusement because of this.
That happened exactly the way I thought it would. Dude tried to scam, you found a typically american loophole with the local pickup scam, dude realized you were trying to buy his bike for 100$ and shut you down.
I am pretty sure any one with half a brain (at least enough of one to think up that outrageous shipping price to get around the fees) is going to think enough about it to not sell his bike for 1/25 of what he was intending to get.
rant over sorry
\

darex

Chimp
Jun 3, 2007
that was ironic[/QUOTE
:huh:
ironic: adjective - happening in the opposite to what is expected, and typically causing wry and amusement because of this.
That happened exactly the way I thought it would. Dude tried to scam, you found a typically american loophole with the local pickup scam, dude realized you were trying to buy his bike for 100$ and shut you down.
I am pretty sure any one with half a brain (at least enough of one to think up that outrageous shipping price to get around the fees) is going to think enough about it to not sell his bike for 1/25 of what he was intending to get.
rant over sorry
\
Maybe I should use irony word, don't know really. I've meant my last reply was irony not his. You have very short definition of ironic/irony. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony , there are a lot types of irony. Have a nice lecture.

Ok man, you have esoteric knowledge about what I think. I was very sad and depressed. He has shuted me down so badly... I was crying in toilet for an hour and half. Hey, maybe is it your bike huh ? :brows:

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Darex,

You lost zero dollars but this should be a lesson that if deal seems too good to be true, it isn't.

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
LOL, I'm sure you could find some emotional suffering or other such grounds to sue him over:bonk:

If you feel vindicative (not even sure what that wod means:redface:) you could still report him to Ebay. I probably would, sure people do that sort of stuff, but shipping for that whole amount is ridiculous!

Write back & tell him you'd pay $500 if he could drop it off since you're local - kind of like postage cost for his time LOL.

But I agree with everone else, there is really no other outcome you could have expected, apart from him getting into trouble for trying to dupe ebay out of fees.