Quantcast

What spring in your Pike coil?

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So as many of you know, I built up an Atomlab hardtail frame with a Rockshox Pike 426 (oddly enough, 1 number off of my area code).

Anyhow, I've been running the stock medium spring, with the fork on lock-out (using a brake cable in the hole and tightening down the lock-out mode on the cable so it cant move). Well, I ordered a firm spring, and the control conversion kit to make the remote lock-out a regular switch.

Something I'm curious though, is if firm it is stiff enough (I obviously want it pretty stiff if I want it on lock-out)...or if I should change my order to extra-firm?

Throw out your ideas...as it would be nice to save myself the 20 bucks and get it right the first time.

:cheers:

rid3HB

Monkey
Aug 28, 2007
uhh... i have the stock spring on my 05 sl. i thing ill be getting a firmer spring because i already bottomed mine doing just random stuff.

how much do you weigh? if you weigh something in the high 100s or low 200 id go with the xfirm

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i'm 140-ish lbs and riding the stock spring, and i still find it soft for most things. i've been thinking about getting a firm spring for awhile, i think that as long as you're under 160 a firm spring should be fine unless you want it super stiff. if anyone has a firm spring by the way, pm me.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Anybody want to enlighten me to how to lower a pike as well. I have a 454 and can't really complain about how soft it is, I mean its soft but I run the floodgate at least half clamped down. I imagine I will get some heavier springs if I keep it. I need to get the height down from my stock 80mm to get my A-C height closer to 460mm.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Anybody want to enlighten me to how to lower a pike as well. I have a 454 and can't really complain about how soft it is, I mean its soft but I run the floodgate at least half clamped down. I imagine I will get some heavier springs if I keep it. I need to get the height down from my stock 80mm to get my A-C height closer to 460mm.
put a duke spring in it. I got an extra one laying around, firm one. Lowers from like 60-105 or something. PERFECT for street, park, and DJ's. It's the way I run mine!!

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I weigh about 155lbs. The lock-out with the floodgate one turn from being full open (or tight...not sure what "tight" is going to do...) and it still bobs a little more then I would like. I would preffer it being stiff not on lock-out, so I can lock it out for a rigid fork essentially.

And yeah I plan to try and lower the pike eventually, just debating how to do that...I hear the duke spring works, but I'm a little to hesitent to try that on my brand new pike right now.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Why does that mod make you nervous?
Well from my understanding mods like that arn't covered and essentially void your warrenty. Could be wrong, but either way, if it doesn't say it works in the fork, then I'm in no rush to try it in one that cost $$$.