Quantcast

What springs fit on a 5th element?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Hey guys, dumb question.

What springs will fit on a 5th element (besides the ones that 5th element makes)? Will a Swinger spring fit it?

I ask because I need a 500lbs spring, 9.5x3.0 and progressive ones are like $40, Swinger ones are like $20 (a spring's a spring right?) and I can get either one USED which helps me alot. Right now I have a 450lbs and it's a hair on the light side. 550lbs was too much. Just wondering.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I agree........or atleast someone with some info show what sizes the I.D of the springs are so you know that a fox wont fit a 5th element, or a Romic won't fit a.....(you know).

I know a 5th element is 1.37", but I dunno what size swinger's run for their springs and if they'd work on a 5th element.

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
I know that manitou springs are a bit bigger than fox, because we put a 400lb manitou on my friend's fox shock, and it fit okay.. Im pretty sure you can use 5ths on Fox, but they're just a little big. I bet a manitou spring would fit a 5th, and you can get RCS springs that fit too.

dhpunk~

Chimp
Jan 23, 2005
Canada
baaa dont quote me....i seem to remember a thread a year or so ago, someone asked about a Ti spring for a 5th E and it was stated that it was cheaper to get a Ti spring from Manitou and it fit fine!

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
Probably not, especially if its an older vanilla. The new vanillas are using the same spring as the DHX. The old vanillas are really skinny compared to the 5th springs. I've held them side by side before.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
try a fox spring, normally theyre lighter than manitou springs which are kinda heavy because theres more material to span the bigger body.

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
Just finished some searching on MTBR.. Fox, Manitou, and 5th springs share the same ID. The OD is what can vary. Manitou and 5ths are interchangeable easily. Fox springs fit 5ths and Manitou, but 5ths and Manitou require the removal of the BO adjuster on the Fox reserviour.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I need to confirm that a Fox spring will fit on a 5th element.

I just sent my 5th to Avalanche for upgrade/conversion and will need a 650# and 700# spring - Seems I can only find 700 in Fox.

Is TNC around? One of the Trumpores? Somebody save me!!
:D:weee::D

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Instead of a spring, you should put this on the outside of it.

Might be a titanium version available.
You dont think Craig can make a decent shock out of it? Im led to believe otherwise, but we shall see!!

Now - how about whether the Fox springs fit?!!!
:rant:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I dont know about the Fox springs, but I can confirm the manitou springs will indeed fit, little long though will need to compress it just a touch when you install the keeper, but once its in, its all good.

dsb18292

Chimp
Mar 24, 2009
+1, Manitou will work fine. Manitou are heavy and a bit on the long side as DM mentioned. They are 1.43in ID, but that didn't cause any issue for me. Main reason to go Manitou is the price. I got my last spring for $16 total with a Beyond Bikes free shipping promo. Most other MFG are $30-40.

The stock 5th spring is a 1.37in ID, so DHX springs will work as well.

Marzocchi are also 1.43ID so they should work, but I haven't tried.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Instead of a spring, you should put this on the outside of it.

Might be a titanium version available.
LMAO thats pretty damn funny!!! It doubles as a place to stay at the races as well.

Huck Banzai dont sweat Woo, take it for what it is the guys got some funny ass quick replies.... LOL The shock not redone is not worth squat, had a ton of issues. I dont think hes knocking Craig rather explaining where the unmodded ones belong due to past history of stock 5ths...

Now as far as the shock after:
Yes its a GOOD upgrade and makes a huge difference to the performance of the shock. Craig's AVA program is definently top notch, He knows his stuff.
Its not hard for someone like him to take a pretty bed design and modify it to what it should be given its got a good chasis. Between the engineering, tuning and experience in manufacturing and design hes got it it pinned...

It makes it perform and feel REALLY good, Its worth the tune and mod for sure.... Joshs was on its way out to the garbage and he was looking for a cheap replacement when we did his. I remembered Avy was doing this so he opted to give it a shot.. We both have had time on it now and its a SOLID shock for sure.. Its range of adjustment is wide and easy to tune, it handles the rough really well, tracks great and is overall consistant.

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
LMAO thats pretty damn funny!!! It doubles as a place to stay at the races as well.

Huck Banzai dont sweat Woo, take it for what it is the guys got some funny ass quick replies.... LOL The shock not redone is not worth squat, had a ton of issues. I dont think hes knocking Craig rather explaining where the unmodded ones belong due to past history of stock 5ths...

Now as far as the shock after:
Yes its a GOOD upgrade and makes a huge difference to the performance of the shock. Craig's AVA program is definently top notch, He knows his stuff.
Its not hard for someone like him to take a pretty bed design and modify it to what it should be given its got a good chasis. Between the engineering, tuning and experience in manufacturing and design hes got it it pinned...

It makes it perform and feel REALLY good, Its worth the tune and mod for sure.... Joshs was on its way out to the garbage and he was looking for a cheap replacement when we did his. I remembered Avy was doing this so he opted to give it a shot.. We both have had time on it now and its a SOLID shock for sure.. Its range of adjustment is wide and easy to tune, it handles the rough really well, tracks great and is overall consistant.
Oh, I know about the Woo, and better than to mess with him in the silly battle!

But will a Fox spring fit on my 5th without Armageddon ensuing? (At least inside my titanium trash-can, where it is housed?!!!)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Oh, I know about the Woo, and better than to mess with him in the silly battle!

But will a Fox spring fit on my 5th without Armageddon ensuing? (At least inside my titanium trash-can, where it is housed?!!!)
I want to say it does...
Per diverse spring firment chart:
36.33mm ID
- BOS
- Cane Creek
- Diverse
- Fox
- Manitou
- Marzocchi
- Progressive

Then these all have a 38mm ID or 1.5" approx Insidew diameter
Vivid
Romic
Avalanche .

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I want to say it does...
Per diverse spring firment chart:
36.33mm ID
- BOS
- Cane Creek
- Diverse
- Fox
- Manitou
- Marzocchi
- Progressive

Then these all have a 38mm ID or 1.5" approx Insidew diameter
Vivid
Romic
Avalanche .
WIN! Thx - I suck at 'research'. I also could have read the replies above yours, but ADD kicked in.

Im stupid!! YAY!

THX AGAIN!

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Wait, are you talking fox as is DHX fox? Or older fox.... The DHX spring, while the ID will work, the outside hits the resi
Ok - now Im depressed.

What springs will fit at all?! Fox is out? - I thought the manitou springs rubbed on fox resi (B.O. Adjuster) but work on 5th?

my lil brain is on fyah

Sov

Chimp
Jan 1, 2008
Adelaide, Australia
I've run dhx springs on 5ths and 5th springs on dhxs and manitou springs on both dhxs and 5ths. They're all interchangable. Like a previous poster said, Fox and 5th are 35mm ID whereas Manitou is a touch bigger at 1.43" to go with their non standard 12mm eyelet bushings.

I had no spring rub issues, but it's possibly cos i was running weedy 300-400lb springs so they may use a thinner spring wire, hence smaller OD.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Ok - now Im depressed.

What springs will fit at all?! Fox is out? - I thought the manitou springs rubbed on fox resi (B.O. Adjuster) but work on 5th?

my lil brain is on fyah
I dont know about the Fox springs, but I can confirm the manitou springs will indeed fit, little long though will need to compress it just a touch when you install the keeper, but once its in, its all good.
Like an answer like this? I can get a picture if needed to prove it.....

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Like an answer like this? I can get a picture if needed to prove it.....
Mike I just looked alot of places and a fox spring fits it, you may have had a thicker coil or a wider wrap but just about every one I see and read on sites and forums states that if it fits a fox itll fit. Maybe the ones FOX puts out done fit the OD but even the spring manufactureres state the same spring for fox and progressive. So as long as he doesnt use a Fox brand spring he should be OK....

I called josh and the spring he ordered was for a FOX not Fox brand and it was for a few others...

That spring fitment list I posted above was from a manufacturers site and they arent making a special spring for the progressive...

Huck Ill get a pic tomorrow as well as where he ordered it from and I guarantee knowing Josh he found the cheapest one possible...

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Mike I just looked alot of places and a fox spring fits it, you may have had a thicker coil or a wider wrap but just about every one I see and read on sites and forums states that if it fits a fox itll fit. Maybe the ones FOX puts out done fit the OD but even the spring manufactureres state the same spring for fox and progressive. So as long as he doesnt use a Fox brand spring he should be OK....

I called josh and the spring he ordered was for a FOX not Fox brand and it was for a few others...

That spring fitment list I posted above was from a manufacturers site and they arent making a special spring for the progressive...

Huck Ill get a pic tomorrow as well as where he ordered it from and I guarantee knowing Josh he found the cheapest one possible...

That makes sense, I wasnt wanting to give a pic to prove anything about the fox spring, but that the manitou did indeed fit without worries. We usually get those for people seeing we can sell then for fifteen bucks.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
That makes sense, I wasnt wanting to give a pic to prove anything about the fox spring, but that the manitou did indeed fit without worries. We usually get those for people seeing we can sell then for fifteen bucks.
I believe you!

here is why I got confused:

Many comments said a Manitou spring would fit a 5th fine, but rub against the BO adjuster on a DHX (So it would appear that the OD of the Manitou is larger than the Fox springs)

THEN

Some comments said a Fox spring would rub on a 5th --- this confuses me, because the above says the bigger OD spring would fit, so why wouldnt a Fox work.

thus the fyah in my brain. I want to get these springs ASAP!!
:confused: