Quantcast

What the hell could possibly be wrong with my phone?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Phone in question:

It's a Samsung T809 through T-Mobile that I got in August. My plight:

First phone arrives. Works great for the first month or so. One day it decides to completely discharge after about 6 hours. Call T-Mobile. They send me a new battery. Problem persists. Call T-Mobile again. They send new phone. Problem persists. Buy new charger. Problem persists. Second phones screen dies after a week. T-Mobile sends third phone. I'm fed up by this point, and decide before receiving the third phone I'm eBaying it and getting something else. Receive third phone. Straight out of the box, problem persists.

I've tried every possible combination (new phone/new charger/new battery, new battery/old charger, different outlets, etc) and the damned thing still discharges after 6-8 hours, even if it's sitting on a countertop totally and completely unused.

I'm afraid calling T-Mobile one more time will just lead to more headache...does anyone have any idea as to what could be happening? Maybe it was the battery all along, and they sent me another defective one? The phone says it's getting a full charge...

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I have T-mobile and I loose the signal when I go inside most buildings or drive anywhere. I have an older Nokia phone that doesn't do anything special but it has a bowling game. Other than having to park somewhere or go outside to make a call I don't have any problems. I'd try talking with T-Mobile and seeing if you can trade the phone in for some other model, that Samsung sounds like a paperweight.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Phone in question:

It's a Samsung T809 through T-Mobile that I got in August. My plight:

First phone arrives. Works great for the first month or so. One day it decides to completely discharge after about 6 hours. Call T-Mobile. They send me a new battery. Problem persists. Call T-Mobile again. They send new phone. Problem persists. Buy new charger. Problem persists. Second phones screen dies after a week. T-Mobile sends third phone. I'm fed up by this point, and decide before receiving the third phone I'm eBaying it and getting something else. Receive third phone. Straight out of the box, problem persists.

I've tried every possible combination (new phone/new charger/new battery, new battery/old charger, different outlets, etc) and the damned thing still discharges after 6-8 hours, even if it's sitting on a countertop totally and completely unused.

I'm afraid calling T-Mobile one more time will just lead to more headache...does anyone have any idea as to what could be happening? Maybe it was the battery all along, and they sent me another defective one? The phone says it's getting a full charge...

Is it a dual mode analog/digital phone? If it's switching to analog or trying to connect to analog cells it's going to use a lot more juice and you could easily burn through a battery in six hours. See if there is a setting for "digital only" and and if there is set it.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
AFAIK, no...I couldn't find any setting for digital/analog network choice. I took it to the T-Mobile store last night. They told me that I was pretty much ****ed, but if I called "Customer Care" and screamed at them, they'd probably eventually give me a different phone.

I really don't like yelling at cust. service phone people...

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I just checked, and the phone is GSM only. So the analog/digital setting isn't it. It looks like everyone complains about the battery life so it would appear to be a product problem. Sorry.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I just checked, and the phone is GSM only. So the analog/digital setting isn't it. It looks like everyone complains about the battery life so it would appear to be a product problem. Sorry.
But...6 hours? I thought "short battery life" translated into maybe a day or two of standby, which I didn't mind because I plug it in every night anyway... :rant:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
check to see if the phone is roaming. roaming will drop the battery life quicker. also the size of that screen will drain the battery quicker. make sure your backlight is set to a minimum amount of time as well as the button lights. my experience with samsung after a few years spent working on cell phones is that they are primarily crap. i would talk to the customer service people and see what they can do for you. they will have notated your account every time they have talked to you so they can see that it is an ongoing issue that needs to be resolved.

4thegirl

Chimp
Aug 27, 2007
that sucks man... do you keep it plugged in all night or do u take it off the charger when it is full?? i find that my phone dies quicker when i leave it on the charge all night as opposed to just charging it until it is full... also do you use it as an alarm clock?? that kill the battery a lot too..

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Holy bumping of old threads, Batman. You going through the "related threads" links or what? :D
Bwizahaha. I saw this bumped up and was hoping someone had some magical revelation about why that phone never worked. I liked it a whole lot more than the Razr, but it just couldn't hold a charge. I guess a couple weeks after this T-Mobile actually replaced the model with an updated version, it was on the market for a whole couple months it seems.

Now my Razr seems to be on its last legs. The backlight won't turn off, so it's roached in about 18 hours. No free replacement, outer screen cracked the month after I got it. :(