Quantcast

What the helmet is the dealy'o?

Ez-Cruiser

Chimp
Dec 30, 2004
Tennessee
I was reading up on some helmet reviews and I've noticed people saying "not for beginner riders" or "for advanced riders-"...
Whats the deal?
Are -advanced rider- helmets more protective than beginner or do they fudge and take out all the protective things (foam, rubber, etc, in which you midas well be wearing a baseball cap) and expect accidents where you hit your head not to happen but make you feel good about having your helmet even though it didn't get used? lol, in the end I'm probably taking this too far, but I think if it has saftey approvals, which i know some don't, it is merely up to looks and the freaking stickers!?:clue:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
all helmets are made for all ability levels. whoever said that a helmet was for an advanced rider had no idea what they were talking about.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
gnurider1080 said:
all helmets are made for all ability levels. whoever said that a helmet was for an advanced rider had no idea what they were talking about.
Yeah, a $140 Giro Xen is perfect for a new guy who just spent $140 on his bike.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
They're probably talking about the whole moto VS mtb full face debate.

They mean moto helmets are good for those who, when they crash, will crash extremely hard. Conversely, beginners should stick to mtb helmets because the foam will deform more for the smaller impacts they're more likely to encounter.

Ez-Cruiser

Chimp
Dec 30, 2004
Tennessee
Well I figured these people were just talking out their behinds, but I also have no expertise in helmets..

Not to start an argument, but I consider myself a beginner to the downhill category, and there is no way i'm riding, unless I'm goofing off in the yard, with out a full face.. my #1 purchace, after my bike...

Bicyclist, I've seen the argument go both ways, for both helmets and I understand your theory, which pretty much answers my question.
moto helmets are thick, high end $400 &^ dh helmets seem very thin and i've seen some thick... seems like they stuff the helmets with the same material if they are snell, dot, saftey approved?

welp i'll check this later, gotta get up early! peace

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Well just to quash some fears....

I picked up an Answer m7, carbon/fiberglass (lightly) used for $125. One of the best decisions I made. It's heavier and hotter than a real bike lid, but it's super comfortable and I know it'll protect me when I fall. I take off my helmet on the lift so my brain gets a chance to cool down.

I don't understand why people talk about slow speed wrecks. They must not wear moto helmets. My helmet has so much padding in it that the styrofoam doesn't absorb any of the impact at low speeds, it's all the foam padding on the sides/top. At high speeds is where the hard foam comes in.

I don't know who, but this phrase comes to mind:
"if you have a cheap head, buy a cheap helmet"

I don't see any reason to mess around with a mtb helmet unless you can afford to replace it after every moderate crash. I'll replace my moto if I ever wreck big, but I don't think I'd be comfortable in an old mtb lid.