mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Best nuclear powered hypersonic stealth tanks on earth!

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I know I can count on youse guys to give me the warm and fuzzies when I need them.

“We bought cheap, pulled ourselves up by the bootstraps, and you can too! The sky is the limit!
Just buy cheap, it’s not rocket science!
Praise The Lord!”

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It was a long time ago but it was estimated that the US will spend 3 times as much money supporting injured veterans than the cost of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan that injured them. The true cost of war isn't bullets.
For sure. I'd actually like to see it more like a 95%/5% split. I just don't see any of the budget summaries explicitly breakdown what that proportion of the total budget it really is. There's a whole lot wiggle room in 850 billion.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
It was a long time ago but it was estimated that the US will spend 3 times as much money supporting injured veterans than the cost of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan that injured them. The true cost of war isn't bullets.
That will definitely be the case if they keep giving 100% disability to all these deployment dodgers and fakers. The new generation of military sits around in med hold barracks discussing what they can get diagnosed with in order to get a medical discharge then run straight to the VA for their percentage.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That will definitely be the case if they keep giving 100% disability to all these deployment dodgers and fakers. The new generation of military sits around in med hold barracks discussing what they can get diagnosed with in order to get a medical discharge then run straight to the VA for their percentage.
I respect that a lot more than being guillible enough to go attack Iraq to defend the poor billionaires of kuwait. :rofl:

That's a better use of taxpayer money than funding planes that never exist. I view it as a roundabout way to public services for poor kids.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You would think recruiting wouldn't be that hard selling that to kids, but it seems they might be too lazy even for that.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
People just don't want to work get mangled fighting for our freedom disastrous foreign policies anymore.
I grew up knowing about WW2, vietnam etc and was always curious about what 'caused' those

I imagine there's a pretty healthy similarity with people in their 20s and 9/11. And FAR more real (and mis) information available these days to find.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Desert Storm just sort of happened. I knew there was a chance going in, but I also knew I was going to be pretty damn safe in the Navy vs Army and Marines. I was signed up and in delayed entry (getting the weed out of my system) when shit started. My battle group replaced the Nimitz that did everything. There was literally nothing to do but pull in once a month to get drunk for 4 months straight. We did 43 days at see the longest stretch. Worst West Pacific cruise ever. :rofl:

<edit> I don't have a VA disability rating.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Desert Storm just sort of happened. I knew there was a chance going in, but I also knew I was going to be pretty damn safe in the Navy vs Army and Marines. I was signed up and in delayed entry (getting the weed out of my system) when shit started. My battle group replaced the Nimitz that did everything. There was literally nothing to do but pull in once a month to get drunk for 4 months straight. We did 43 days at see the longest stretch. Worst West Pacific cruise ever. :rofl:

<edit> I don't have a VA disability rating.

It was our success in Desert Storm that made some people think that using our military to build friendly nations would be easier than a few hours playing Call Of Duty on the easy setting.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
How can you not have hearing loss?
What's funny is my active duty ETS was 02/4/93 but my boat was leaving for West Pac on 02/02. They said I could get out free 2 days early, or switch to the dry side command, report there and possibly not be done for a week or more while doing medical paperwork. I left.