Quantcast

what tires are you running in 2010

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I run a 2.5 tubeless Nevegal up front and a 2.5 or 2.35 (can't remember what size) Tinker Juarez tire out back, tubeless also. The Juarez tire rolls pretty quick and grips pretty good.
The Tinker tire (dred tread) isn't listed in those sizes - 2.1 is the max. Are you sure its that tire?

Also Treesaw said she uses the UST Kendas. Those have thick sidewalls and weigh quite a bit (1000g or so) - closer to dual ply tire in strength. Its not going to be as flimsy as regular tubed Kenda run tubeless.

People who say there isn't a difference between an XC and AM tire don't appreciate softer and/or dual compounds, stiffer sidewalls, etc. Those are significant noticeable differences only a fool would gloss over.

Last edited:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
how do you like the Mtn Kings? I am thinking of running a 2.4 up front and a Schwable Racing Ralph dd 2.25 or a Mtn King 2.2 on my Sinister Gruitr.
So far, I like them pretty well. For mixed terrain, they seem to work nicely. I don't have a huge amount of time on them, but they just kind of work without complaint. Air has held nicely in them (I have the UST version) with no flats or burping. They are a little narrower than a true 2.4, I think. Not as big as a Kenda 2.35, but not as small as a Maxxis 2.35 either. Some might want a bigger tread, but I think it's a good intermediate size for east coast trails.

TRS

Chimp
Mar 18, 2010
Specialized 2.2 Purgatory Grid in front at 25 psi
Specialized 2.2 The Captain Grid in back at 30 psi

Both UST. I tried to run them with 5 psi more and they were all over the place. The casing is really thick so dropping 5 psi really helped.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
The Tinker tire (dred tread) isn't listed in those sizes - 2.1 is the max. Are you sure its that tire?

Also Treesaw said she uses the UST Kendas. Those have thick sidewalls and weigh quite a bit (1000g or so) - closer to dual ply tire in strength. Its not going to be as flimsy as regular tubed Kenda run tubeless.
you're right. It is only a 2.1. It's the Dred Tread. Just looked like a 2.35. I'll take some pics.

I switched the rear tire to a WTB Graffiti 2.2. I like the rear tire to roll fast. It's kinda drifty in the turns. I ran one last year too.

My tubeless tire and the hole in it.

Last edited:

tartosuc

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
montreal
I run a 2.35 Kenda nevegal up front
for the rear i use a Panaracer fire xc pro2.1, i find this combo to be quite fast, the xc-pro despite its small size is very predictable and grips very well in all condition.

when things get really really wet in the fall i put a bigger tire in the back.

Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
I'm really liking my current combo: 2.5 single ply Minion DHF up front with a 2.25 Ardent in the back. I hear the 2.4 Ardent works pretty well in the front as well and have heard good things about the Rubber Queen