Quantcast

What tires? Downhill

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
I am moving out to Summit county Memorial Day weekend. I have no clue what tires I should run on my DH bike out there. I have been running Minions in the 40a compound the last few years. But I only get the chance to ride once maybe twice a month in east coast conditions, wet or hardpack. I have a feeling riding all the time I will go through Minions like water. I am considering running Michelins but am not sure what tread pattern is best. I know I do not want to run the 32 just seems like too much tire. I currently run 2.7 front and 2.5 rear. What size tires do you recomend? I will be training for racing and tend to be easy on my wheels not slamming them into everything.

Thanks for the help.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
DHCorky said:
I am moving out to Summit county Memorial Day weekend. I have no clue what tires I should run on my DH bike out there. I have been running Minions in the 40a compound the last few years. But I only get the chance to ride once maybe twice a month in east coast conditions, wet or hardpack. I have a feeling riding all the time I will go through Minions like water. I am considering running Michelins but am not sure what tread pattern is best. I know I do not want to run the 32 just seems like too much tire. I currently run 2.7 front and 2.5 rear. What size tires do you recomend? I will be training for racing and tend to be easy on my wheels not slamming them into everything.

Thanks for the help.

Minions and High Rollers are sick in the area.

:thumb:

Mtnrider

Monkey
Jul 1, 2001
Littleton, CO
I agree that Minions are the $hit, problem is they stopped doing the SlowRezay and only offer Super tacky and 60dur. The ST do not last for me at all, I will probably run Minion F 60d, getto tubelss on my DH rig this summer. I hate changing tires all the time so I'm going with the 60's.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
Mtnrider said:
I agree that Minions are the $hit, problem is they stopped doing the SlowRezay and only offer Super tacky and 60dur. The ST do not last for me at all, I will probably run Minion F 60d, getto tubelss on my DH rig this summer. I hate changing tires all the time so I'm going with the 60's.
This is my exact problem, I have one set up brand new slowreezaay Minions. I know they will not last long. ST Fall apart in one hard weekend. I have heard Michelins hold up longer. I have never tried Michelin and would like to just for the comparison knowledge against Maxxis.

I will also run Stan's again I did not have to replace and flat tires last year. Kind of nice to not have that problem. It does make changing tires a pain in the ass though.

I know I am going to be riding a ton living at Keystone for June and July. Just trying to prepare myself somewhat right now.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
Ordered some today. I will let you know once I get a chance to ride them. I move out Memorial day weekend, probably going to go skiing first though. Unless anyone wants to go for a ride Memorial day? I will be staying in Conifer at my sisters house for a few days before heading up to Keystone.

dhrace507

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Mountains
I've used a bunch of different tires extensively and there are pros and cons to all the tires out there. I used maxxis for a couple seasons and michelin for a season after that, then maxxis then michelin. In the end I like michelins better for a couple reasons. Like you mentioned, they do last longer than the Maxxis tires, where when they lose the edge, they're pretty much done. They also hold tubeless better, which cancels out the only complaint I hear about Michelins, which is that the sidewalls are weaker than Maxxis and they are easier to pinch with a tube.

From a technical perspective, when maxxis tires wear, the rubber is kinda springy, but soft and it will chunk away. Michelins have more of a soft foamy rubber compound where if you looked at it under a magnifying glass it's like a sponge with little holes when it wears down, and that leavs tons of little edges to grip the dirt.

Aside from that, the tires ride differently. I will have to admit, Maxxis may have a slight edge in sheer grip, but when they break loose, they really break loose. It's not good to have everything go out all at once. Michelins will slide a bit more, but they will always be predictable.

I'm keen on a 2.5 comp 16 on the front and a 2.5 comp 24.1 on the rear, and if you're pretty burly or on a fast course, the 2.8 can't be beat, and it weighs about the same as a Maxxis 2.5 Minion with a much larger contact patch. Trust the Michelins, once you get used to them they are predictable and treat you right.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I concur with the ANGEL FIRE statement above. There won't be any skiing or lift accessed DH riding in Summit county that weekend I'm pretty sure, so making the trip to AF for your inaugural weekend would be well worth it.

But definitely run Kenda's down there - Michelins and Maxxis don't work south of Colorado for some reason. ;)

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
Thanks for all the replies and info guys. I am looking forward to trying the Michelins.

I will not be making it to Angel Fire memorial day weekend. I am considering heading down for the race the following weekend(If I sell enough of my ****). Since I missed a chance to get a UCI point at Bromont this weekend. Not that it would happen at Angel Fire. By the way how far of a drive is Angel Fire?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I use to run the Maxxis Minions to. The SRY lasts a lot longer than the ST. I just made the switch to Kenda and the grip is better than the Minions and they last a lot better.

A Minion DHF in ST in the front and a Minion DHR in 60D in the rear would last awhile too. Plus now the 60D has NO orange stripe so your tires would match.