Quantcast

What Tires you run in the spring?

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
Looking for a nice set more geared towards AM to run in Oregon in the Spring so mud traction is important and of course want a fast rolling tire

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I've been running ardents this winter on my AM bike, and I like them for what you're talking about. They seem suprisingly good in the mud, but roll very well.
The main thing I don't like is that they don't corner as well as the minions, but what does?

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
I've been running ardents this winter on my AM bike, and I like them for what you're talking about. They seem suprisingly good in the mud, but roll very well.
The main thing I don't like is that they don't corner as well as the minions, but what does?
Yea I may try them..I always loved maxxis tires and dont really want to go to the slow rolling Nevegals

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
Minion 2.35 single ply DHF both front and rear is a great option. They are pretty fast rolling, available in both a 60a and 42a options. If you want extra traction, go with the 42a Super Tacky, if you want something that will roll a bit faster and last a bit longer, the 60a is the way to go. The corner nobs are great and dig in quite well. If you want a bit more braking power, you can run a High Roller in the back of the same options. You could also go with a 2.1 High Roller in the rear for a bit lighter and faster rolling tire, that however does not come in a sticky rubber.

I personally have never been a fan of the Ardent tire. It does roll fast, however the corner nobs are too small which results in them folding over quite easily and doesn't provide a superb cornering tire in most conditions.

If you're wanting something a bit smaller and a bit faster rolling, I might check out the Nevegal in a 2.1. The corner nobs kick up a bit which provides a pretty good bite when cornering. The 2.35 and up don't have that and so I've found that tire to be tough to know when you're on those corner nobs before it ends up drifting. I've even run a 2.1 Nevegal in the back with a 2.35 Minion up front if I'm doing a longer xc ride. You end up with a high traction tire up and a nice fast rolling tire in the back.

That's what we recommend for here in the North West. It's what I sell, it's what I run, and it works quite well.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
That's what we recommend for all year round really, but if it gets super muddy, there are a few good mud tire options that don't roll too terribly slow and get the job done as well.

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
That's what we recommend for all year round really, but if it gets super muddy, there are a few good mud tire options that don't roll too terribly slow and get the job done as well.
I want to stick with Kevlar tires, no wire beads as I will be doing AM stuff and some XC. I hear people say with the ardents that some dont like them since you really need to lean in to get the benefit of the traction with the side knobs.

I am almost just tempted to go with Nevs or the Rampages since I run ghetto tubeless its going to get expensive to keep swapping out tires. I know these tires will hook up, but I have always loved Maxxis and loved running the minions and High rollers on my Freeride DH bikes

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I've been running the Maxxis Advantage all winter on my 6" bike and have been impressed. Lighter than the DHF for sure.

I don't like the DHF or the highroller for the rear on a bike that does climbing as the ramped knobs just slip when you put any power down.

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I want to stick with Kevlar tires, no wire beads as I will be doing AM stuff and some XC. I hear people say with the ardents that some dont like them since you really need to lean in to get the benefit of the traction with the side knobs.

I am almost just tempted to go with Nevs or the Rampages since I run ghetto tubeless its going to get expensive to keep swapping out tires. I know these tires will hook up, but I have always loved Maxxis and loved running the minions and High rollers on my Freeride DH bikes
I'm pretty sure all of the tires mentioned in this thread can be had in a folding bead. I like the idea of a minion up front with a fast rolling rear. It's worked well for me in the past.

Last edited:

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
You can get a Maxxis 2.35 single ply in a folding bead. They only come in the 60a, but it's a good option. I have even set those up tubeless, though it does take some doing (I personally went away from tubeless because of a few reasons, including the lack of tire options). As for weight, it depends on what you're wanting to do. For me, I know the climb is going to suck no matter what, so I'll sacrifice a little weight and rolling resistance on the climbs for a good agressive tire that I can push on the decents. But if you're doing longer climbs and want to ease the climbs by sacrificing a little traction, then going with a lighter, or harder compound is the way to go.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Muddy Mary freeride , dont let the name fool you its an intermediate tire thats capable of 80% conditions. It handles tubeless better than the week walls of Kendas and if your using stans they dont rot sidewalls like kendas...

Fast rolling, corners amazing guey gluey front and triple rear works really good.

Just another option. :thumb: