Quantcast

what tires??

Dizane

Chimp
Nov 5, 2009
I'm going to build up a new bike this up coming season with a 2010 stumpy pro frame. I'm having a really hard time deciding on what tires to get though. I road with specialized tires this season (the captains) and they were good. I have been hearing a lot of issues about the sidewalls of them not being stiff enough to hold up tubeless very well and this is because specialized is trying to save some weight. Like i said i road on them and didn't have a problem but it's going to suck when im stuck on the trail with my tire flat. Also i just want to try something new. So what do you guys think are some good trail riding tires??

Dizane

Chimp
Nov 5, 2009
yes.... morbidly obese. JK not at all, 150 or so. Thats what would think to but i have seen guys that weigh about 180 maybe blowing out these sidewalls with the proper air pressure. But mostly i just am wondering your opinions on some good tires that you all have enjoyed

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The only guys I have ever known to blow out a sidewall had a fair amount of girth or ran pressure to low to keep a seal or simply rolled the bead out of the groove on hard corners.

The only tires I've had that where problems where Bontrager Jones but that was in the early 90s.

yes.... morbidly obese. JK not at all, 150 or so. why?

Al-F

Chimp
Dec 15, 2007
Hope Mills, NC
I'm running the Jones XR (Tubeless Ready) http://bontrager.com/model/02860 on my GF Hi-Fi Deluve and they are pretty good. I am pretty aggressive, not a lot of big air but def aggressive. The Jones hold up fne. I weigh between 170-175 and run 20lbs front, 25lbs rear with no issues.

These tires are pretty grippy DTC moderately aggressive. If you ride a lot of steep rooty and/or Technical uphill in wet muddy/clay conditions, these ARE NOT a good choice. Better get something with big and clunky knobs if this is the case, otherwise The Jones will be a good choice for overall conditions and they are a pretty fast rolling tread.

Last edited:

drumbum540

Monkey
Mar 24, 2008
Stephens City, VA
I am riding on a 2.5 kenda blue groove on the front and a 2.3 nevegal in the rear and its holding up really well. they are preeetty heavy though, so if youre too concerned about weight, I wouldnt go with that size, but, maybe just a smaller size would work better for weight. before those tired I had panaracer fire xc and they were lightweight and pretty grippy. but I had a problem with tearing off the knobs on the outside of the tires while cornering.

id say the blue groove and nevegal, but thats just my honest opinion. I ride places like the Frederick wateshed and gambrill where theres an abundance of steep rocky climbs and they handle mud extremely well. good luck!