Quantcast

What to change out to lighten my Bullit?

RPG

Monkey
Jun 14, 2004
All over New England
It's an '04 Bullit with a super x kit, 5th element shock and a Z-150 fork. I was thinking of Cross max xl wheels and maybe a fox rc36. Any other ideas? Don't really want to buy a new shock (cost half as much of the value of the frame). I'd consider forks, wheels and such because I can always swap out frames.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
This is the Super X Kit:
REAR DER Shimano M750 SGS (XT)
FRONT DER Shimano M760 (XT)
SHIFTERS Shimano M750 Rapid Fire (XT)
CRANKSET Shimano M760 22/32/44 (XT)
BOTTOM BRACKET Included w/Crankset
CASSETTE Shimono M750 11/34 (XT)
CHAIN Shimano HG 93 (XTR)
BRAKES Avid Juicy 7's w/6" rotors
BRAKE LEVERS Avid Juicys
BARS Easton EC 70 MonkeyLite XC
STEM Easton EA 50
GRIPS Lizard Skin Logo
HEADSET Cane Creek S2
SEAT POST Easton EA 70
SADDLE WTB Rocket V Team
WHEELS DT XR 4.1d rims laced to DT Onyx hubs w/DT 14/15 spokes
TIRES Kenda Nevegal 2.1 folding
TUBES Kenda Ultralite

In light of the above parts, I would consider the following:
A lighter SC fork
Lighter wheelset, though that one isn't that bad, and if you go lighter, you're going to lose some serious strength
A titanium spring for the 5th
What kind of tires and tubes are you running? If they're the stock ones, your bike should be quite light. If not, you probably could lose some weight there. As it is, the bike is decently lightweight, and if you want something lighter, you either will have to switch to a trail/allmountain frame, or just pedal harder. The Bullit isn't a featherweight frame, and IMO, that's a good thing.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
airshocks arent really that much money anymore. it will give you about a pound lighter bike. crossmax wheels are very expensive but if you can afford them go for it. as far as forks a fox 36 would save some weight. maybe cranks? possibly middleburns or some new shimano xt's with the outboard bearings.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I hate to be the peanut gallery here as well as a poster, but Hank, you just repeated my suggestions.
As far as cranks, it's going to be tough to lose weight there, and an airshock on that bike for anything but trail riding won't be that much fun as they're not so much made for the aggro plushness. It all depends on his riding style, and if he has a Bullit, I'm guessing he's hitting some stuff, so an air shock might be a bad idea. Plus, that 5th is so money, the only good way to save weight is with a new spring.
I'm not even sure why I'm writing this, I guess I just wanted RPG to realize the situation. Give me some feedback, and maybe I can help.

mealsonwheels

Monkey
Jan 16, 2003
San Diego
I just got rid of my Jr. T for a Fox 36 on my Bullit and I seriously dropped about 2 pounds. Huge weight savings and the Bullit is so responsive now. I would highly recommend that if you are looking to convert your Bullit into more of a trailbike. I'm considering tubeless tires too for less rolling resistance.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Tubeless for less rolling resistance? Sure, less of a moment of inertia, but actually, the rolling resistance is higher because the lack of a tube actually makes the tire more compliant to the ground, and it will thus "drag" more. Tubeless is a great idea if you don't like to switch tires, I just would hate to have you think that it would make your bike roll faster due to less resistance. It will accelerate and decelerate quicker though, which is money. You can also run lower pressure if you want with less fear of pinch flatting, but you will damage more rims if you do that, and of course, have even higher rolling resistance.
Aren't there other decent SC forks out there besides the 36? I have a feeling that a lot of people are recommending it because it's new and blingin', but really, I don't think you need to spend as much on your fork as you did on your frame. Check out a Manitou with TPC+ damping, or maybe a Marz. All Mountain 1 (though I think that's not lightweight).

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
DId anybody notice that bballe suggested replacing the cranks with the same ones??

Anywhoo
the Z-150 is pretty heavy, I would switch to a z.1 or something like that for lightness. I would wait ot get lighter wheels, toast the ones you have now first, then get new, lighter ones. I would get lighter handlebars, cut 'em, seatpost, cut it. Ride a selle flite ti, or rather, stand above one. Next cut your cables as short as you can. Change your QR's to ligher ones. I think that it is all small bits that makes a bike lighter.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
RPG said:
It's an '04 Bullit with a super x kit, 5th element shock and a Z-150 fork. I was thinking of Cross max xl wheels and maybe a fox rc36. Any other ideas? Don't really want to buy a new shock (cost half as much of the value of the frame). I'd consider forks, wheels and such because I can always swap out frames.
That's a nice bike man........i would just ride it and save your money for something else.....

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
There was just a multi-page thread on this..........how to make the bullit lighter.

Truthfully with what's listed that's a pretty decent build. The things you are going to swap out money wise might not be worth it. To upgrade wheels or forks when what you got is already good enough and pretty light considering the strength to weight ratio everything has. Point is you could spend $100+ on a King headset to save maybe 20g if that or spend $100 on a XTR cassette to save like 30-50g. It's not worth the money you'd spend for such little savings.

The Ti-spring for the 5th will save probably the most weight for the cost. Plus you can find used Ti springs around as the Bullit's were pretty common. Maybe look into a SDG I-Beam seatpost/seat combo, Tubeless tires conversion would save weight where you'd feel it, but otherwise your build is pretty light as is.

RPG

Monkey
Jun 14, 2004
All over New England
My mistake, I forgot to mention that it is the super x fr kit. It has truvativ hussefelt cranks, drivetrain, 321 rims with Onyx hubs, Weirwolf 2.5 tires. I will use it for agreesive trail riding. I was thinking of putting some 2.3 in tires, and maybe crossmax xl wheels. I don't know if a fox36 would make a big difference. Plus I love the cush of coil sprung forks.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
RPG said:
My mistake, I forgot to mention that it is the super x fr kit. It has truvativ hussefelt cranks, drivetrain, 321 rims with Onyx hubs, Weirwolf 2.5 tires. I will use it for agreesive trail riding. I was thinking of putting some 2.3 in tires, and maybe crossmax xl wheels. I don't know if a fox36 would make a big difference. Plus I love the cush of coil sprung forks.
That's a sick bike.......if it is too heavy for aggro xc than maybe you should look into a Heckler or Blur LT.......i would leave your Bullit "as is".....

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
You could easily drop weight by changing to XT 2piece cranks and lighter wheels. I'm not too keen on Mavic myself, due to their proprietry components, but you can build up similarly light+strong wheels using standard parts for fairly cheap. The fork: Nixon, Pike, or 36, they should all offer a nice weight saving. The Z150 is nice, but it's fairly heavy.
I'd say fork, crank, and wheels are the items to look at firstly, alas, they're also the most expensive items :nopity: