Quantcast

What to expect at Snowshoe?????????

cr5545

Chimp
May 21, 2008
Virginia
I ride typical all mountain (local XC trails, National Forest stuff....). I am looking to do a road trip through West Virginia and thought of stopping at Snowshoe for a day. I see that they have massive DH and Freeride, is there anything I can do there with a 5 in travel bike?

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
There's not much you can't do there with an AM bike although it will be a bit bumpier. I've seen a lot of bottle rockets and nomads out there. Just don't ride Hareball and you'll be fine (although I've seen that one ridden on a small bike too). They have plenty of beginner/intermediate trails that will be easy to ride on your bike.

Jay13

Chimp
Jul 6, 2008
Orlando
My first 2 trips to SS were on a Heckler, which is a 5 inch travel bike... 1st time with a 150mm fork, which was really rough, the second trip I had a 180 mm Marz 66 on the front and it was much more fun. (Not suprisingly) Depending on your riding ability, you should be okay for the most part. x2 on staying away from Hareball, especially lower hareball. Worst case scenario, try out your bike and if it feels like you are getting beat up you could always rent.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Expect to have fun with a very large grin on your face the whole day. Well unless it rains and you don't like to ride in mud!!!!! For me it has always been a blast ether rain or shine. Have fun!!!!

Cecil

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
The trail crew has tried to make the whole mountain more accessible for the intermediate rider and from what I was told, that focus is on the lake side. Missing Link to powerline on the Western Territory side is awesome too.

Just borrow a buddies DH tires and tubes, run some lower pressure and throttle down.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
you'll be fine. i did just about every line on my bottlerocket and kept up with my buddies who were on DH rigs. i rode hareball/lower hareball and would have been fine if i didn't have crappy hayes brakes at the time...that was the only trail i've ever ridden where i actually couldn't stop.
ninja bob->missing link->power lines = all day fun.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
you would be ok on chainsmoke, ninja bob, missing link and powerline on the western side. The basin side has a lot more shore style stuff but raging bull would be ok. But you would have a lot more fun on a bigger bike. both in terms of more travel and better geometry. i would go mid season because a lot of their features on the basin side aren't ready until then. I would also go on a non race weekend and when the lift is runnng on the western side otherwise you have to ride the bus(it isn't bad just takes a little longer).

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Me and my family went out there a few years ago not knowing what to expect. I was on a Cannondale jekyll with a 130mm fork, my brother on a Giant AC2, my dad on a flimsy stump jumper, and I don't remember what my mom rode.

All in all I had a blast, sure I didn't huck any 5' drops or anything retarded, but me and my brother did blast through this rock garden and two guys setting at the end of said "you guys don't have enough travel to do that!"

Is the "power line" trail open? They had just made it when I was there but they had it closed thanks to mud but people rode on it anyway since someone tore the banner down. The next day we were talking to someone and they said they were going to close it for good. It was definitely one my favorite part, smooth with flowing jumps.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
yeah powerline is open, ninja bob and missing link were recently added and feed into powerline quite well to say the least.