What tool?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar

MC peepants

Monkey
Sep 20, 2006
i've always called it a freewheel remover. WHen i had one i removed it at the Germantown Cycles store, im sure they have the tool you need or maybe since you go to the columbia race track you could make your way to the Avalon Cycles store they should also have it.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I might try them, I'll be at Patapsco Sunday anyway. The Bike Doctor down the street didn't have it or what they did have woundn't fit over my oversized axles. I'd like to order one so I don't have to got to the LBS whenever I have to work on my wheels. I prefer to do everything myself. Costs me a lot less in the long run.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
My guess would be this: http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=4&item=FR-2#[/QUOTE
OK the tool shown in the link above is a freewheel remover for a older late 70's early 80's road bike.

Park also makes a BMX freewheel remover , but this isnt the tool you need either . shown here :

From the looks of it you have a BMX freewheel , not a cassette driver . So you will need the BMX freewheel remover show here .

If you Oddssey hub has the one piece driver you will need nothing more than a set of hands and a open end wrench to take the cone nut's off .
Being that the driver is ONE PIECE it will slide off the axle once the cone nut's have been removed.
Sorta like what George French is doing int his video link :
George French explains cassetts here !

If the hub has the older style lock ring and cog you will need a lock ring remover and chain whip

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Brad, you're right, most bmx freewheels have four notches and I bet that's the tool that jdschall's lbs has that doesn't work. The two prong older style looks like the closest fit for the ody 13t freewheel.

The notches in the ody freewheel look a bit small compared to the old sun tour freewheels. so you might have to grind down the prongs on the tool to fit in the smaller notches? just an observation

DK looks like they followed the four notch style and they have it as a 12t. nice...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Brad, you're right, most bmx freewheels have four notches and I bet that's the tool that jdschall's lbs has that doesn't work. The two prong older style looks like the closest fit for the ody 13t freewheel.

The notches in the ody freewheel look a bit small compared to the old sun tour freewheels. so you might have to grind down the prongs on the tool to fit in the smaller notches? just an observation
Yep, the driver has 2 notches. This was the problem at the lbs in a nut shell. The two notch suntour thingy was too wide. I could get a 4 prong and then grind off two prongs with a dremel maybe...

I'm liking this hammer and punch idea. I've got a left side drive on there that isn't getting used, I'll bang on it and see if I can get it off with out f'ing it up. If that works I'll go to the RHS driver.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Yep, the driver has 2 notches. This was the problem at the lbs in a nut shell. The two notch suntour thingy was too wide. I could get a 4 prong and then grind off two prongs with a dremel maybe...

I'm liking this hammer and punch idea. I've got a left side drive on there that isn't getting used, I'll bang on it and see if I can get it off with out f'ing it up. If that works I'll go to the RHS driver.
Have your shop call Odyssey / Bear corp and order the specific Odyssey 13T freewheel remover , if the shop owner gives you some excuse call him out on being a cheep SOB :shocked:

OH BTW if you hit the freewheel the wrong way with the hammer and punch ... IT EXPLODES and ruins you hub , get the right tool do the job right the first time :lighten:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
No way you will get that off with a punch without fvcking something up.

There is such a thing as a two prong remover:

This one is available at Dans Comp:

You need to put it in a vice then spin the sucker right off. Or use a 12" Crescent wrench.