Quantcast

What Video Camera Should I Get?

How

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Area 51
Hmm, well after watching a recent teaser of some filming my buddy did of me, i decided that I really want a digital video camera now... heck none of you have even seen footage of us! I need to throw some stuff together.

What I'm looking for...
durability (!!!)
Price range ~$500 (looking to get it off ebay)

That's about it... what's the best bang for the buck in that range?

I'm already leaning towards Panasonic or Canon cause i like their products

Thanks!!!

I'm gonne go ride in 2 seconds btw, hope ya'll have good weather so you can do the same today.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
For that price range I think the Sony Handycams are good. My friend has one he got ~2 years ago for $1000 and it's a very good camera.

If you want a Canon, save up and get a GL.

MrDirt

Chimp
Oct 21, 2004
Eden, UT
black noise said:
If you want a Canon, save up and get a GL.
I dont really see a huge need for this price point in cameras... if youve already set your sights on spending over $2,000 on a video camera, you may as well get an XL so you have interchangeable lenses, or get a sony DSR to get the larger control track of DVCam.

As for the 500 dollar range, these new flash based cameras seem pretty neat, I'm not sure if they are worth a damn yet though.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
"hi, im looking to get either a camry or a saturn"

"save up and get a farrari!!!"

in that 500 dollar price range i would stick to canon's or sony's. canon's have good lenses, sony's have good technology inside.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I have a small blue metalic panasonic. I got it at costco for $300. It is suprisingly good. At Squaw in lake tahoe, I filmed my friend snowboarding and it was really clear when we watched it on a tv later. I was going probably 35 while filming him. I got him going off a six foot roof drop to flat. THen my mom got us both going off it.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
whatever you do, do not buy electronics on ebay. i would suggest the the samsung range of cameras from JR.com. for about 350 you can get a great camera that records on digital 8's with a firewire out so you can upload it in an mpeg4 format to your comp and easily post it online. i just bought a samsung from JR.com. its a really nice video cam and jr always has quick shipping and the best prices.

DroppinaNorco

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sac Town
For 500 i would definitely stick with a sony or canon... and i dont see why everyone is baggin on the guy who said save up for a gl... its a completely relevant point.. if u ever want to actually get into filming you cannot do it with a 500 dollar camera, but if your just messing around and dont have the money then its fine. Dont go with the samsung.

skeletor

Chimp
Mar 22, 2004
STORE.
get the cannon ZR100 like i got. its schweet. not the most durable thing in the world, but its 350 and is really nice for the price. ive had a few tape head problems after riding with it in my backpack tho, but i have to check it out and see if thats what its realy from. but if u get the extended warrenty shieeet it shouldnt be a problem.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
That Samsung looks nice.....

BTW we rode Deadmans yesterday. We saw the Bike Dr crew. The trails was swwweeet. We might do it again today but its rainin. :(

How

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Area 51
Answer your phone!!! I want to ride

Yah, the samsung does look nice, how is the quality compared to a Canon ZR

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
i have had samsung cameras and i had a cannon before i got my samsung and i had a sony before that. and all though i havnt tried that samsung with the helmet cam thing if its anything liek the samsung i have you will definatly liek it.