Quantcast

what was your first DH bike?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
circa 2002

*note pill-bottle chain retainer*
I had the complete version of this exact bike. Shiver on the front. I kept telling my buddies that as I turned I could feel the rear end going a different direction. Then one day we rode an off camber gully trail all day and Jeremy R said my rear wheel was making him whoosy it wiggled so much.:thumb:

I used a piece of PVC pipe and grip wire instead of the pill bottle. Such a terrible bike.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
I had the complete version of this exact bike. Shiver on the front. I kept telling my buddies that as I turned I could feel the rear end going a different direction. Then one day we rode an off camber gully trail all day and Jeremy R said my rear wheel was making him whoosy it wiggled so much.:thumb:

I used a piece of PVC pipe and grip wire instead of the pill bottle. Such a terrible bike.
I don't doubt it. The thing was plush as a Caddy, but had the turning abilities of a..well...a Caddy.
Needless to say, when we were beginning to build trails @ Wintergreen to *attempt* to get their DH program off the ground, the bike was so sketchy on all the super-tight and off camber trails we had built there.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
How many Rainbow Kooke Cranks are there with Huge MRP Bash Guards?

You have a serial # by chance?

I believe that it is a 98
Nah, that was forever ago. The one thing that would make it stand out is if it had a weird BB. The one one his was stripped, so we had to machine it out to fit an italian BB, so the diameters were off if you tried to put a normal BB into it. (we disclosed to the buyer).

FullMonty

Chimp
Nov 29, 2009
circa 2002

*note pill-bottle chain retainer*
whoa... I wanted that stem something fierce...

gotta laugh at how we were always trying to get super-tall front ends, now we're eyeing the lowest DM stem and slamming the stanchions.

Does this count? Mega HT-pride at the time. :rofl:

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Were you at the finish in pro class when a pro's fork sheered clean off coming across the road and hitting the 3 foot deep ruts covered in hay? The lady screaming at him to "go, go, go!!!"? He just stopped and stared at her with the biggest WTF ever....:rofl:

Worst DH race ever. Best crowd ever. Got bumped by a 14 year old in Sport DS by a 14 yr old kid in Harry potter glasses. Ryan White!:thumb:
I was there - I forgot about that. I crashed in the same spot and basically Superman'd for about 20 yards accross the mud on my stomach. The biggest cheer I ever got from a crowd.

It was the worst race ever. The little switchback section where they took the photos was the only sorta fun place on the track.

Yeah, I never understood how a scrawny little kid like Ryan was so fast.

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
i love these old monsters, super reliable, they'd make for a killer backup fork these days. this is one i picked up for 100 bucks when i first got my turner while i was waiting on my travis.

100 bucks and the paint was striped off, so with some new seals and oil, a bit of polishing and new decals, it was a 150$ wonder fork

and yes, thats a doublewide

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i love these old monsters, super reliable, they'd make for a killer backup fork these days. this is one i picked up for 100 bucks
funny you say that, i took my last years fork off my blindside to sell...and needed something, pulled this off the wall for some good fun.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
1st) 98 fsr with mrp kit on the back, rasta kooka cranks, xtr v's, and a manitou something rather up front.

2nd) fsr dh with xvert carbon, double wides, 2.6 gazzys (that rubbed), etc

3rd) spec bighit with 00 boxxer that had no tuning except internally.

Nov 29, 2005
South Boston kid guy
Well here is a blast from the past for you guys. Only got the frame left.

Yes its a K2 Zero G, I rode in 2001, bought used, i think they were around in 98 or 99.. yes it had a Noleen rear shock that went through the seat tube, i snapped it 2 times. Was built up with a Noleen Chubby then a Risse Trixxy, AC cranks, AC chain guide. ugly as f#ck.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
1995 Y bike with AZ 75mm stem, riser bars, IRC Missle tires, White Bros hard Body Judy damper, WB spring kit, AC fork crown and brake arch arch with Ti steerer.

1996 Karpiel VRS pictured in the catalog that year, AC dual drown fork kit with NO DAMPING!!!!!!! that retrofitted into the Manitou EFC 5" travel. 1st generation MRP guide with 48t ring. Noleen shock. IRC Kujo tires, or were they still Missles?

Frame had tuneable geo with eccentric link mount AND tuneable progression rate with threaded rod end on the shock! it was so badass at the time! I had 3 different links for it!

Last edited:

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
Well I have to thank you fellas for posting, it makes me appreciate that I took the sport up later on rather than early on. Most of those bikes scare the crap out of me just looking at them.

Huge prop's to the guys who raced them though :thumb: , ballsy stuff no doubt :weee:

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
sintesi bazooka was my first propper dh bike. Carado Herrin won the world cup in 99 on one. This isn't mine but it was fairly similar to this one. Had hardtails before and then an orange mr o after

Tracer Tong

Chimp
Mar 21, 2009
That's my first big bike, bought it new in 2002. Raced dh on it. Now it's my cross country bike, do three hour xc rides on it without thinking twice.

This is my first dh bike. I've also done three hour xc rides on this, but I don't have as much fun when I do.

Last edited:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Well I have to thank you fellas for posting, it makes me appreciate that I took the sport up later on rather than early on. Most of those bikes scare the crap out of me just looking at them.
Agreed. Here is my first real DH bike.

Last edited:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007

That photo is actually the '94 Super V 3000 and I had the '93 model. I raced it XC for several years before I tried DH on it in '96. Raced a few times in '96 and '97 before getting the Super V DH! 4.5" of goodness in the front :D

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
JUST removed the Raceface Turbine LPs from my DH bike (170mm) and replaced them with 165 Gravity Lights. They were bought for my Super 8 in 2001 and have been in service ever since (along with the ISIS BB). At the same time I replaced the 2001 grey DX SPD pedals with the new version. The tension seems softer so I may switch back.

That leaves my ODI Lock-On collars as the only 2001 part still on my current DH bike. However, to drop weight I just replaced the DH bike's Titec saddle with a no-rail XC saddle bought in 1994 that has been on my XC bike till now!

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
First bike I raced DH on was a polished 1995 Cannondale F1000 hardtail with a headshok.:twitch:
First full suspension bike I raced on was 97 Cannondale super v (3 inch model)
The first bike I had that was actually called a Dh bike was the 1998 Kona Stab pictured below. That is not my bike in the pic, I had a RST Hi five on mine which got recalled after a year because, "it may fail at high speeds." :rofl:
After that I got a 2001 Intense M1, and that is what I consider my first real DH bike.