Quantcast

What was your worst hotel/motel stay ever?

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
What was your worst hotel/motel stay ever? Mine was at the Atlantic Sands Hotel in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. Pulled back the sheets to find a huge bloodstain. The hotel supposedly "comped" me a room as their apology, but then charged my credit card for it over two months later!
See my blog for the bloody details.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
What was your worst hotel/motel stay ever? Mine was at the Atlantic Sands Hotel in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. Pulled back the sheets to find a huge bloodstain. The hotel supposedly "comped" me a room as their apology, but then charged my credit card for it over two months later!
Worst motel ever was the Mt. Ida Inn in Mt. Ida, Arkansas. I had the unfortunate pleasure of staying there during the Ouchita Challenge one year.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
N8 said:
Worst motel ever was the Mt. Ida Inn in Mt. Ida, Arkansas. I had the unfortunate pleasure of staying there during the Ouchita Challenge one year.
:nope: Is it really that bad? What was your OC challenge teams name?

Hungry_Hank

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
urban sprawl (orange county)
super 8 in indio CA. me and two of my pals had to stay there when we got a flat tire at 1am on our way to lake havasu. the shower had almost no water pressure, there was a misterious wet spot on the carpet, and the toilet didn't flush to top it off they charged us 60 bucks for pillows they said we took (we didn't take crap!) which i later had to dispute on my credit card. a total of 100 bucks for a 6 hour stay in the sh1ttiest motel ever.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stayed in some downtrodden motel room in new zealand (picton?). the room wasn't too bad, but we were tired and wanted to go to sleep early. at about 10PM we were woken up as we realized our room was directly over the bar, and it was Friday night. the bar finally shut down at 1 or so, and then we had ~30 minutes of sleep until the drunken idiots in the room next to us decided that it was time for american gladiators. i thought they were gonna bust straight through the walls. this went on for another solid 45 min or so, which felt like an eternity.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Route 66 just inside Arizona (as you come from Vegas over the Hoover dam)....couldn't make it back from the grand canyon so decided to stop before heading the last bit to Vegas. Some Route 66 flea bag motel that had sliding doors for their front doors duct tape holing the drawers faces on and a bucking air conditioner that banged around terribly when it came on...

..of and the pea soup green shag rug was worn thru to the plywood floor.

:D I got out of there early the next morning.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Motel6 in Auburn this weekend. L'il Dave snores like a freight train and "Sandy" at the desk wouldn't let us ride our dh bikes down the staircase.

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
I was heading up Whistler once and my ferry from Vancouver Island was late, so I missed the last bus from Vancouver to Whistler...at the time I was pretty broke, and the Vancouver bus terminal is in a really nasty neighbourhood...anyway, long story short I ended up staying in some cracked out hotel full of prosties, and dealers for the night...FUN!

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Crappy motel by Phoenix skyharbour to catch a 4am flight - Air conditioning SOO loud and rattley! I swear there was a living creature in it - sounded like he was being tortured each time you turned it on. Also had a vague mouldy smell whilst on. Not cool. I guess that's not too bad really, though.

Also stayed at a Holiday Inn downtown Seattle where the next room was occupied by a guy called 'Jamie' who was apparantly quite the sexual athlete. That was more amusing than annoying though.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
I was probably 6 when this experience happened, was in southern South Carolina, came upon a severe storm that was producing large hail and several reported tornadoes. My parents found this motel called the buckhorn motel that seemed to be decent appearing. Got in the room there was a red shag carpet that smelled like cat piss, there were prostitute phone numbers or who ever's phone numbers written on the tv the sheets were stained the water came out brown, the sink was held on with duct tape. It got us through the night, but in the morning my mother made me rinse my mouth out with warm, flat coca cola.

skeletor

Chimp
Mar 22, 2004
STORE.
Embassy suites. my dumbass friend decided to drop a roll of TP off the fifth floor, and won the lottery by hitting some big ass excecutive guy, and we got kicked out. yea i kno my friends are dumb but its not my fault.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
That is the most disgusting thing I have ever heard. To be honest, none of my hotel/motel stories would even come close to that unpleasant surprise you found under the covers. I would've puked right then and there...

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
gecko said:
I was heading up Whistler once and my ferry from Vancouver Island was late, so I missed the last bus from Vancouver to Whistler...at the time I was pretty broke, and the Vancouver bus terminal is in a really nasty neighbourhood...anyway, long story short I ended up staying in some cracked out hotel full of prosties, and dealers for the night...FUN!
I had a similar experience I was about to passout from leaving for the six hour drive to Whistler at 8:00 p.m. from the middle of W. Washington, ended up getting a room in a dive in Squamish, walked in the bathroom went to take a leak and there was a used condom floating in the toilet... :nope: :nope: :nope:

Second worse was a night in the Days In in Everett WA...

Super lame, crack heads everywhere, no cable, and the AC was stuck on freeze in the middle of December. I tried to get a refund, but ended up with a coupon good for a free nites stay at any Days In, as long as it was the one Everett. :angry:

I hate cheap motels.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Embassy suites kick ass and they have big breakfasts and they are good prices.

I haven't been to any really f'ked up places like some of you. But about 6 yrs ago, my family and I stayed in a hotel outside of palm springs, ca. There was a main hotel which surrounded the pool. We stayed in "i guess a villa type place that looked like a house" across the street. We went in with our stuff into the room....

They were stains everywhere...carpet, curtains. There was crumbs or something in the kitchen and the plates in the cupboard had stuff on them. The beds were all dirty. Then when my parents bitched at them, they said the lasted people there didn't pay. WHAT- and they didn't even look at the room or do usual maid cleaning.

We swithced to across the street at the main hotel and it was much better. They were filming a movie ove there. behind the hotel i saw a coffin and other stuff.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
Wow! There are some nasty things described in this thread. I guess I must spoil myself because I would never even look at a place that wasn't at least middle of the road quality. The credit card bill be damned! It's worth the extra money to sleep soundly and not in any measurable level of filth.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Bad Experiences happen in good hotels too.

My wife and I got married in Asheville NC and we decided to splurge and spend a night in the Grove Park Inn for the first night of our honeymoon. Correct me if I'm wrong you Ashevegins but I believe its a 5 star hotel. Super Posh to say the least. I think the room we got was around $250 and it wasn't one of the nice ones. We got there and basically passed out from the exhaustion of a long weekend of dealing with relatives and all the hoopla of getting married. I think it was maybe 9 o'clock. Around 11 we woke back up to the sound of a redneck party next door. They had about 15 people in the room, music blairing, a blender concocting frosty beverages. Several yehaws were heard. Every once and a while they would all leave and go down to the bar to hang out leaving the radio on. Apparently too cheap to buy drinks at the bar the party would return and crank up the blender again. It was awful. We called the front desk and told them about it and everytime they came up to check, the party had gone back down stairs so they thought we were crazy. I think this went on until about 4am. It made for one of the worst nights of our lives.

We decided to check out around 9 the next morning and we cranked up the TV volume and left the "Please clean room sign" on their door. It was about all we could do to get back at them. We complained to the front desk when checking out and they did make it up to us by giving us a free weekend stay anytime. We used it for our first anniversary, somewhat warily, but it turned out great and made up for it.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I don't recall specifically which hotel it was(Econo Lodge, Best Western, ?), but when my wife and I went to Busch Gardens/Water Country in Williamsburg, VA for a week, we were hooked up with a real treat. We got the room at employee rate with vouchers from my wife's sister, who worked at the Springfield, VA location for the same hotel. For a week, the room and service were unremarkable either positively or negatively, but right before checking out, I made a grim discovery. My wife and I had already packed up our bags to depart and were giving the room a final toss to make sure we weren't leaving anything behind. While she checked the closets, I checked under the bed. While peering beneath it, I saw a small object reflect the light slightly under the middle of the bed. I reached over triumphantly to pick up what I thought was one of my wife's earrings...but immediately dropped and recoiled upon opening my hand to inspect it. "It" was a large, intact human molar complete with tiny jerkied piece of root and dried blood on the top! I almost puked and my wife absolutely shrieked in horror when she saw it lying on the floor. Needless to say, we received our already-discounted room at a deep additional discount. The thought of suing the hotel flashed briefly across my mind, but I quickly dismissed the notion so as not to help create work to justify the existence of any more lawyers. My skin crawls every time I recall that incident, but I couldn't help it after reading Capt. Jack's post. :dead:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Phish tour between the Dallas and Austin show summer of 97. Stayed at this super cheap place in the crap part of town in Dallas. Bullet proof checkin window with ghetto drop box was first sign of trouble #1, hourly rate = sign of trouble #2, Rotten and rusted sheet metal stairway = #3.

We get to the room and: 3 legged table with leaning against unpainted wall next to support 4th corner, nonfunctional oven and fridge, Matted pink shag carpet, 2 single beds that smelled old and stale, rusted out bathtub with hole, ants, roaches, and gunshots in the distance.

This place wqas high dollar! And the black version of an elephant man pimp was being loud and yelling about random sh!t all night long. I say elephant man pimp because this guy had crazy growths all over his face and was wearing a cheap dark purple suit (spotted him on the way up), freaky.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
Cross country trip.

Was getting very tired.

Found a Motel 6 to rest my weary head.

When I took a shower in the morning, I discovered a 'used' pair of men's tightey whiteys hanging on the back of the bathroom door.....

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Late 70's; road trip from Phoenix to Vancouver with my parents. We stopped in Vegas but everything was full, except for teh $3000/night luxury rooms. No way was that going to happen. We ended up at this dumpy little hole called the Sombrero. It used to be somewhere near where the Luxor is now, so at the time is was outside of town. The only room left was the one right next to the front desk and there was a door from behind the counter into the room. I guess the attendant used it to sleep in on the overnight shifts.

Anyway, we have nowhere else so we go into the room and my parents unfold the sleeper couch. As soon as I sat on it half the springs shore away from the frame and everything collapsed all lopsided. The TV didn't work (antenna was broken). There were no towels. Red shag carpets. Gold curtains almost completely worn out. I have vivid memories of my mom going into the bathroom and freaking out - but I'm not sure why. Actually, given the state of the rest of the place, I don't think I want to know.

As tired as we were, we left and ended up finding a room at Circus Circus because someone with a reservation bailed. Turned out OK in the end.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Outskirts of Little Rock Ark. I cant remember the name of the NoTellMotel it was but I was returning home from a trip to the Smokey Mountains and it was about 1am and my headlights quit working in my truck. So I pulled over to the side of the highway and checked the fuse. No problem there so no more traveling that night.
I pull up to the motel next to the exit ramp. Very skanky. I had to negotiate a nightly rate instead of the normal hourly rate even though the sun would be up in 6 short hours.
I pulled up and there were three very drunk dudes on the second floor checking out my equipment I had in the truck.
So I unloaded all my gear and bought it inside and left the doors unlocked to the truck so when they went to get my stereo they wouldn’t have to break the windows.
I got inside and to my amazement the lock on the door was broke both to the outside and the room next door. I pushed the bed up against the outside door and put the Black and White TV and all my gear against the inside door. The bare concrete celling was covered with asbestos. The cinderblock walls hadn’t been painted in years.
The bed stunk so bad I just unrolled my sleeping bag and slept in it. The bath tub had cigarette burns all along the side where people used that sans ashtray. The toilet was missing the cover. Finally I heard gunshots a little later.
I called my mommy and told her where I was and if she didn’t hear from me at 6:30am promptly to call the police.
:stosh:

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
any yet people still rag on SUV drivers.
If I were ever subjected to any of these dumps, I would just head back out into my Jeep, put the back seats down and chill there for the night. Precisely why I started putting a blanket in there. I had to use it once too

My wife and I were camping in this campground in Maine, around Bath, and it started to rain just as we got there to put our gear up. Now, generally speaking this wouldnt have been a bad thing, just put the tent up and chill in there. The problem was that we must have set camp right on top of some daddy long legs convention because the place was crawling with them. outside the tent, inside, all over the ground...EVERYWHERE. Spiders arent much of a problem to me, especially these buggers, but my wife FLIPPED out. so rather than sleep in the spider infested tent, we just went into the jeep and chilled there for the night.
Three other places that Ive been to can be caterogorized as "bad experineces"
First, when I was a kid, my aunt and gradma use to take my bro and me away from killing my mother durning summer breaks and we went up to Hampton Beach, NH for a week. Now the place we stayed in was probably a step below your run of the mill beach lodging in the 80s but the only problem was it rained all damn week. Not just spotty showers, I mean POURING all damn week so we were holed up in this joint with 70s decor, no cable tv with a view facing the parking lot. it sucked
Second was a joint I went to with my then girlfriend (wife now) up in the northern White Mtns in NH. It was an impromptu trip over columbus day weekend right after I picked up a new car so we wanted to head up there for the day to break it in and do the fall leaf peeping thing. Unfortunately all of the rooms in Conway, Lincoln and Woodstock, the major toursty areas were booked because of the weekend, so we found this dump of a motel called the holliday inn....which as it turned out, was not A Holiday Inn, just some craphole. When we got there, we were subjected to one twin bed with a tacoed mattress, two flat pillows and a digusting bathroom that had mushrooms growing in the shower. We got there around 11pm and were out of there, sans showering by 8

Final bad episode was less of a dump than not nearly what we expected. When we got married in Nov03 on a cruise from Miami, we decided to stay a night prior to departure in Miami Beach at a nice joint. We scoured the numerous travel books we had and found a cool, new hotel right on the water, the Lowes Miami something or other, a few blocks from Ocean Drive so we got one of their $300 rooms for the night. "Great! Were all set!!"
So when we get there to check in, the dude goes, "Welcome to the Lowes, you will be staying in Room XXX which is next door in the (some other building). Go out the doors across the way and up to here...blah." Hmm. outside and across the way...ok. So we go out the doors through the courtyard to some other hotel next door which was apparently some old, busted 20's art deco place that they bought and fixed up. The lobby was pretty cool and all but when we get up to our room, it was facing some abandoned building and parking garage, smelled like feet, and we didnt get our luggage for 3 hours. It was basically a $300 comfort inn room. whoopdedoo, i was pissed. Luckily we werent here for the whole honeymoon/vacation, just one night, but it was still $300 down the drain. When we checked out, the dude at the desk goes "hope you had a nice stay, come again" and i railed on him saying "how can you call the place we just stayed in the Glorious Lowes Hotel, when it wasnt and I will never be back here again". He just replied "Well the (old hotel name) was quite revered back in the 20s". "Well, I got news for you buddy, it isnt 1923, its 2003" and left. Miami sucks

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Prague. Stayed in a "hostel" that was a converted Cold War era office building, apparently.

They'd put in co-ed shower "rooms" with a single curtain hiding all of the men's shower heads from the women's shower heads. :think:

We spent one night and bolted. Next time in Prague we'll splurge a bit.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
When I was in high school in Connecticut some friends and I rented a cheap motel room just to party for the night. The manager was about 35 yo strung out chick with bad makeup, bad clothes, and many layers of flab. She knew what we were up to, we thought she was cool when she came down to the room to have a beer. After about 15 minutes my buddy said something to her that caused her to completely flip. She started smacking him around and trashing the room. We were frozen in shock until the dude that caused her reaction left, at which point she turned to me, grabbed a beer bottle, broke it, and came after me with the busted piece. I had to shove her onto her ass and tell her to get the f!ck out before we call the cops. She looked at me all wild-eyed, then turned around and ripped the blinds off the window screaming about how we had to pay for all the damage, then stormed out. 15 minutes go by and we go to find her, she's passed out it the office with three empty bottle of vodka. My buddy opened the desk and found an envelope with a wad of cash, so of course he took it. We divided up the money (was a couple hundred bucks each!) and were starting to leave when three cop cars pulled in. Our buddy that left was apparently doing about 120 down the highway and needed to explain. Somehow we talked our way out of it and got to keep the money....I swear it's true...

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
SkaredShtles said:
Prague. Stayed in a "hostel" that was a converted Cold War era office building, apparently.

They'd put in co-ed shower "rooms" with a single curtain hiding all of the men's shower heads from the women's shower heads. :think:
What exactly makes that setup bad? :think:

When I went to Prague(on the sly), I just slept in the little A-series Mercedes my employer had rented for me with the seat kicked back. It saved me the money and hassle of finding a place to geez, provided me a relatively safe place to herbalize and was an effective deterrent to car/belongings theft or vandalism...a very real fear in former Eastern Bloc nations. Nothing beats Pilsner Urquel on draft in Prague for an authentic Bohemian experience, though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Didn't happen to me but a coworker had a guy pull a gun on him as he entered what seemed to be a respectable hotel room. He got tied up, kicked a few times then the gunman ran with his wallet luggage and laptop.

fanatical

Chimp
May 23, 2004
NJ
My friends and I stayed at this hotel above a strip club called Club Paradise in Toronto. The 'community' bathroom had a hooker passed out in it right next to the thrown. The place was trashy to the T. My friends and I bought a bunch of their t-shirts just because it was so unbelievable there. We still rock them for old times sake.