Quantcast

What Wheels?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive DJ wheelset with 20mm F and QR R axles and disc mounts. I've been looking at:
-Azonic Outlaws
-Bombshell

for prebuilts

I am also wondering what some good rims are if I were to build wheels. I don't really want to get Mavics because the ones I have owned suck. What about Sun MTX? Any help will be appreciated.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I've been looking at Sun MTX rims and they look really nice. What do people think of those?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
OK, now I'm wondering what tires I want to run. I'm thinking about Holy Rollers. How do people like those?

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Outlaws are cheap, fairly light, and bombproof... they rule for the money. Tires, holy rollers are nice, but if you are riding pure dirt and street, you might want something a little smaller... Tioga makes a 1.85 that I can't remember the name of that is nice.

i like arrow launchs just as much as holy roller, but i do like a skinnier tire. if you do a lot of urban, like 360's off ledges and so fourth, the holy roller would be great, i just like the launchs because they roll faster in a dj pack, and in skate park. as far as wheels go, the MTX are just money.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'll be doing a small ammount of trail riding and I prefer the feel off bigger tires anyway. Plus they're light and I won't pinch flat as easily. The only thing I don't like about Outlaws is they're ugly as sin.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
mackster23 said:
i like arrow launchs just as much as holy roller, but i do like a skinnier tire. if you do a lot of urban, like 360's off ledges and so fourth, the holy roller would be great, i just like the launchs because they roll faster in a dj pack, and in skate park. as far as wheels go, the MTX are just money.
How big are the Launches?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, especially on my red and black bike :dead: That's why I want MTX rims on _______ hubs, I haven't decided yet. Any budget-concious 20mm F, 9mm R hubs out there than you guys would recommend.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yes. I know, I'm a perfectionist and I want the bike to look clean. I think I'm just gonna get the Outlaws anyway cause they're cheap and I don't want to have to build another set of wheels. Plus hubs are getting expensive even for cheap ones.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
The new Maxic Dee-Trax wheels are really nice. You should check them out. $350 msrp I think. As for tires, I ran holy rollers for a long time and loved them. Right now I have a K-rad front and kiniption rear on my street/dj bike, and I have found this combo works really nice too.

Attachments

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I haven't had good experience with the DeeTrax rims (EX325). Also, are both those tires Kendas? That looks like a cool setup.

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
I'd opt for a Mavic Ex729's, I've never had a problem with them. I've tried almost everything from Sun and they just don't compare. IMO the metal that Sun uses in it's rims is a softer metal than the Mavic stuff. The Mavic's are lighter and stronger than anything comparable out there.

-Steve-

Chimp
Mar 3, 2005
Hungary [EU]
Muuqi said:
I'd opt for a Mavic Ex729's, I've never had a problem with them. I've tried almost everything from Sun and they just don't compare. IMO the metal that Sun uses in it's rims is a softer metal than the Mavic stuff. The Mavic's are lighter and stronger than anything comparable out there.
Yes the franchies use harder material for their rims, which under big amunt of stress tends to brake, not like the suns which just bend after a big impact, than you just true it out and ride on with a :) .
And the quaility of a wheel doesn't just depend on the rims properties it mostly depends on how well it is built. So I suggest grab a pair of Sun Rhyno Lite XLs or MTXs and a handful of quality spokes, than choose some hubs and get it to a good wheelbuilder and tell him to make it 3cross, you will get a far better wheel than stock industry wheelsets.
And there is tioga tire called FS100 and it's 2.1, for Kadvang to refresh his memory maybe.
Also a tire option would be the Specialized Compound sport.
By the way 24 or 26?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
These guys ship internationally for not-too-disgusting rates...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com

They are also the fastest shippers in the world (in terms of getting the product out the door) in my experience. When I lived in the UK, a friend and I ordered a pile of stuff which was all in stock on a Thursday evening, bear in mind these guys are in Ireland, and it arrived on Friday morning. We couldn't believe it.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
-Steve- said:
Yes the franchies use harder material for their rims, which under big amunt of stress tends to brake, not like the suns which just bend after a big impact, than you just true it out and ride on with a :) .
And the quaility of a wheel doesn't just depend on the rims properties it mostly depends on how well it is built. So I suggest grab a pair of Sun Rhyno Lite XLs or MTXs and a handful of quality spokes, than choose some hubs and get it to a good wheelbuilder and tell him to make it 3cross, you will get a far better wheel than stock industry wheelsets.
And there is tioga tire called FS100 and it's 2.1, for Kadvang to refresh his memory maybe.
Also a tire option would be the Specialized Compound sport.
By the way 24 or 26?
I would agree with that first statement, but I'm pressed for money so I'm just getting Outlaws. For tires I ordered some Holy Roller 26s. I'll be doing some dirt and the Compounds are kinda sketchy in dirt and wet (I've got some on my BMX).

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I just went the cheap route with standard QR front and rear Ryno Lite XL wheels on XT hubs for 160 shipped with black spokes. :drool: They're sweet. With tires, I also went the cheap route and got K-rads. The grip is decent on pavement and pretty good on hardpack, and they're decently light and fast rolling.