Quantcast

What wheels?

Dtrain

Chimp
Apr 12, 2004
Maine
I am looking for a good set of wheels that are light but I am on a budget, I have bent 2 in the past year and a half and need something new that is strong but light and not too expensive. Sounds impossible but just want peoples opinion.
Thanks
Dylan

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
JensonUSA has a decent wheelset for $280. I'm giving it some thought for my trailbike until I can afford King hubs.

It's Mavic 717 rims and Hope XC disc hubs. Wheelsmith spokes and nipples.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
A wheel that is handbuilt by an experienced wheelbuilder is your best bet. Obviously it's nice to get the bling parts, but if the build is done right, the parts don't matter as much. A crappy machine built wheel will still be a crappy machine built wheel even if it's crappy machine built with King hubs and Mavic rims ;)

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
Originally posted by jacksonpt
JensonUSA has a decent wheelset for $280. I'm giving it some thought for my trailbike until I can afford King hubs.

It's Mavic 717 rims and Hope XC disc hubs. Wheelsmith spokes and nipples.
I'm using 317's (last years name for 717's) on Hope XC's, great rims, and awesome hubs, I'd say go for 'em.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
What kind of rims have you bent, how much do you ride, what do you ride, how often did you have your old wheels trued?