Quantcast

What will void the warrenty?

skiracer

Chimp
Jul 12, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
I want to stick an adjustable travel fork on my kona five-0 to make it more of a do-it-all (fr,am,xc). But I want to know what maximum travel will void the warranty. I was thinking of Fox 36 Talas with travel adjustement 160mm-130mm and 100mm but will 160mm void the warranty on my kona? Thanks in advance.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I want to stick an adjustable travel fork on my kona five-0 to make it more of a do-it-all (fr,am,xc). But I want to know what maximum travel will void the warranty. I was thinking of Fox 36 Talas with travel adjustement 160mm-130mm and 100mm but will 160mm void the warranty on my kona? Thanks in advance.
It might, but of course it won't "If you have had the stock fork on it the whole time ;)"

*Clears throat*

And if you are really that worried about the warranty than does that mean you are worried about the headtube snapping?

Also, it should say in the manual what fork you can use, and you should be able to find the manual online.

One more thing to consider is questioning geometry. Will it chopper the bike out and make it ride crappy in corners, or awkward for jumping?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
and you were, cough, ahem, ahem, Just Riding Along.

Warranty is voided when you put a longer travel fork, but the question goes to what you are going to ride.

If you want to make this into your huck machine, you shouldn't worry about the warranty, you should worry about frame breakage.

If you want a plusher ride, then running a 36 Talas should be ok.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not sure how much travel difference will affect your warranty, but if for some reason you chose to put on a dual crown fork, that would most likely void your warranty.

For some companies, painting your frame at a non-approved painter/powder coater will void the warrranty (I know S'ped does this, I wanna say trek does too).

creddy

Chimp
Sep 2, 2009
Fresno, CA
As long as it cracks on the weld, you should be fine. If it doesn't crack on the weld, then it wasn't a manufacturer defect, so it won't get warranted.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Also, seeing as how the complete bike comes spec'd with a 140mm fork, I don't think +/-20mm (~3/4") will void your warranty. It will slightly affect the geometry, but as its built as a dj/ss frame, it should be fine.