Quantcast

What would you do? New Heckler or used Ibis Mojo?? Need advice!

ryanxj

Chimp
Apr 27, 2006
Disclaimer: I know, I know, not another 'which bike?' thread.... But bare with me, Ive got 2 options and am simply trying to get an opinion as to what you would do since Ive been losing sleep over trying to decide! And yea, I have searched:D

So here is my dilemma, Ive been needing a new bike for longer than I can remember and have come down to this: I can order a new Heckler, with the R AM build kit, including a Float RLC w/ 15mmQR and DHX 5.0

.....OR.....

I have a line on a used Ibis Mojo (about 1.5yrs old) that could very well be mine for only $400 more. Similar parts spec/quality minus the fork/shock and surprisingly similar geometry...basically paying four bills to drop about 3.5 or four pounds...

The Ibis isn't as pretty(ugly color), doesnt have a 15mm axle(TalasR iirc), and comes with Float shock. Plus, its used, but has full mfg warranty.

I live and ride in NorCal and would be using said bike for 'aggressive xc.' I have never owned a high end XC bike, but do have a top end DH bike... Ive parking lot tested the Heckler and got to take the Ibis out on a short xc ride a week ago; both feel great. The Ibis rode awesome even though the stem was way too long for me(110mm) and the rear brakes weren't working(air bubble).

I think that the Heckler might suit my style and what I like to do a little better, remember,dh'er by nature, but then again having never owned a nice 'xc' bike, I really don't know. On the other hand, I've never been a really strong or fast rider, so a lighter bike would be really nice for this bikes intended purpose; not to mention the obvious handling benefits.

I am also broke as hell so as small as those 4 bills seem, it does weigh in a little.(I am selling my Jeep to help pay for this thing after all:( And being broke, this bike will more than likely need to last me a long while as I'm only 24 and trying to get serious about riding again. Scratch that, going to get serious again!:rockout: Which makes me wonder a little about a carbon frame and makes that 15mm axle seem that much more appealing...

Any and all help/input/criticism/ranting, raving, and flaming is appreciated and needed! Probably gonna have to decide this weekend at the latest. Discuss...

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I loved my Heckler (prior gen) and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't buy a used carbon MTB no matter how good the deal or whatever warranty might be promised.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
If you are hurting for cash, get the heckler. Sounds like a great build for the price and you will have $400 to buy a ton of ramen noodles to hold you over for quite a while.

ryanxj

Chimp
Apr 27, 2006
...d I'm pretty sure I wouldn't buy a used carbon MTB no matter how good the deal or whatever warranty might be promised.

Yea, I understand that thought because I have it too, but I really think its derived solely on ignorance alone... I dont think I would hesitate to get a used carbon frame of this caliber so long as I trusted the source and plus, it does have a warranty that is every bit equal to that of the SC (5 years iirc). My biggest issue is probably longevity, I tend to beat my stuff up a little and wouldnt like to be riding a carbon frame with dents and dings in it:thumb:

Thanks for all the input so far...!

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Yea, I understand that thought because I have it too, but I really think its derived solely on ignorance alone... I dont think I would hesitate to get a used carbon frame of this caliber so long as I trusted the source and plus, it does have a warranty that is every bit equal to that of the SC (5 years iirc). My biggest issue is probably longevity, I tend to beat my stuff up a little and wouldnt like to be riding a carbon frame with dents and dings in it:thumb:

Thanks for all the input so far...!
Who is telling you that Ibis will honor any warranty as you are not the original owner? Most warranties are only valid to the original owner...

ryanxj

Chimp
Apr 27, 2006
Who is telling you that Ibis will honor any warranty as you are not the original owner? Most warranties are only valid to the original owner...

True, thats pretty much true of anything you buy... But, this would, technically, be the first time the bike has been sold. I would be the original owner. :thumb:

I was leaning a little to the heckler side before this thread, and a little more so now...But that Ibis is just such a bad ass machine!

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
True, thats pretty much true of anything you buy... But, this would, technically, be the first time the bike has been sold. I would be the original owner. :thumb:

I was leaning a little to the heckler side before this thread, and a little more so now...But that Ibis is just such a bad ass machine!
Do you have the proper paperwork, i.e. receipt from the store, etc that states that you are the original owner? Was this frame not sold to someone first as it is used?

ryanxj

Chimp
Apr 27, 2006
Do you have the proper paperwork, i.e. receipt from the store, etc that states that you are the original owner? Was this frame not sold to someone first as it is used?

It was a demo bike at a small, 'boutique' LBS. Used, but never sold.

ryanxj

Chimp
Apr 27, 2006
Mojo. Don't listen to all these pvssies and their carbon paranoia. And don't underestimate how much you'll appreciate those 4 less lbs 32 miles into a 40 mile'er.
I like your attitude and choice in beer!:cheers:

I myself have never been really concerned with the carbon issue so at least, for me, I dont really need to worry about that.

Thanks for the input so far guys!

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
The Heckler I rode seemed to have quirky suspension characteristics when I rode it, I'm sure it just needed some adjustment, but still felt a bit odd (sort of biased because I've only ever ridden VPP and FSR bikes so I don't have much to compare it to) could have just been the way single pivots behave.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
I wouldn't count on that.

It wouldn't depend on it being "sold" a second time if you are the second person to own it from Ibis's perspective. Any half-decent lawyer arguing on Ibis's behalf would make a big deal of you being the 2d person to have practical ownership regardless of how many "sales" there were. I mean, technically you'd be the 3d owner because Ibis owns it first, sells it to a shop or individual, and then you get it.

Don't count on someone telling you you'd be "technically" the first owner... it would totally blow to lose a warranty.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Could both of you elaborate a bit?
I took in more than 6 mojo's in the last shop I worked at and they all had the same problems, the head tube would flex so much that the headsets would cup and the carbon would creak constantly. the bottom brackets would crack after gettign tapped a time or two on logs/rocks or just plain bottom out on terrain. they would crack pretty hard and be really noisy and would require BB service anytime you hit water or sand. I think all the guys but one (female) sold thier mojo's and went to another bike.

it wouldnt matter how much lube or how much you tweaked the headset and BB it would still make noise and get some play in them.

ryanxj

Chimp
Apr 27, 2006
^^^ Thanks for the info 'fire fightin.' The shop in question has sold, if I had to take a completely uninformed shot in the dark, approx 20-30 complete Mojos without a hickup. :confused: Still good to know though... At this point, Im 95% set on the SC. Gonna have them order it tomorrow:D:weee::D

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Could both of you elaborate a bit?
Mostly just a fair bit of brake jack (I'm guessing just due to single pivot) not really a big deal, just brake less. Also it seemed to not soak up small bumps as well as some of the other platforms I've ridden (Stumpjumper FSR Intense Tracer Blur LT) but don't get me wrong its a fantastic bike all around and is tough as nails very simple to work on and corners well. Very versatile bike, I was going to order one but I got a deal I couldn't pass up with my current Stumpjumper.

ryanxj

Chimp
Apr 27, 2006
spocomptonrider-

Thanks for the opinion and info! My dh bike is also a single pivot(C'dale Judge) and since I have never spent a significant amount of time riding anything else, if it were a little 'off' or whatever it probably wouldnt even matter to me. Ahh, ignorance is bliss:rolleyes:

On a more important note.....

Heckler ordered today! Its official!!! Thanks for all the response guys:thumb:

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
spocomptonrider-

Thanks for the opinion and info! My dh bike is also a single pivot(C'dale Judge) and since I have never spent a significant amount of time riding anything else, if it were a little 'off' or whatever it probably wouldnt even matter to me. Ahh, ignorance is bliss:rolleyes:

On a more important note.....

Heckler ordered today! Its official!!! Thanks for all the response guys:thumb:

Sweet, I'm sure you'll love it. Make sure to post pics when you get er built up.

Al-F

Chimp
Dec 15, 2007
Hope Mills, NC
If you're an aggressive Trail rider the Heckler will serve you better. If you are looking to race and willing to pay for the damages as the price of doing business, go lighter w/ the carbon on the Ibanis.

Personally, I'd go w/ the Heckler if you're riding in AM conditions. If you want to lighten up for more Epic rides, get an additional set of wheels/tires (XC weight and pay attention to outer rotational weight). Also consider putting some Hope floating brake disks or whatever brand of floating disks you like on thelighter wheels. This will take the x-tra weight out of the rotating mass for those longer rides. Rotating weight having priority over overall weight. Find a good set of tubeless if you're not already running them. They can be heavier but it all evens out without the inner tubes. plus you only need a CO2 pump instead of the x-tra inner tube and/or patch kit. (Probably already know this, just justifying one of the reasons I like the tubeless...)

maybe consider a Thomson Seat post and lightest seat you can find that doesn't work against your riding style to lighten it up a little bit as well. Depending on the ride you may even keep a set of carbon bars around for the more Epic rides that are less punishing.

Overall, if you think your riding style will involve crashes and OTB incidents from riding on the edge and/or learning curve from trying new things, go with the Heckler

My 2 cents...Happy Trails!

Last edited: