Quantcast

What XC HT bike to you run (if any)?

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
It's a medium. I am 6 ft w./ 31 inch inseam (long torso, shortish legs), I believe the stem is 80 mm. The bike fits perfect and feels great with the fork at full travel (140mm). My full suspension bike is a SC Heckler size large which has similar measurements to a med. Ridge..

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I disagree...I have no qualms throwing a leg over a purebred 19lb XC race bike and shredding flowy singletrack. It's not as easy as going downhill on a DH or FR bike, but that's not the point. XC is more about climbing and, for lack of a better word, "exercise", than DH/FR.

Just different tools for different jobs, IMHO.
I agree.

I think of it more as training for dh though. For real fun I'll ride one of my heavier bikes. But there are so many trails that just aren't fun on a bigger bike. An xc bike really keeps it challenging and hones your skillllzzz.

This is my "xc" bike. A single speed Jamis Dragon - reynolds 853. Converted to ss using a white industries eno eccentric hub.
Super light, super simple, 1.95" nevegals, wider bars, 90mm stem, disc brakes, and it rips.

It weighs about 20lbs. Once you get used to it, you can really let fly on a light bike. You just have to learn to "ride light" and carry speed. It translates really well to downhilling. Since it's ss, you can't really pedal out of corners, you have to just carry as much speed as possible.

The fitness helps too.

MarsB

Chimp
Aug 17, 2005
Morgantown WV
Like the Jamis, biscuit. I too ride a steel SS as my XC bike. I think it complements my DH ride and does what I want it to do on the trails. I'm not all into climbing, but riding singlespeed has helped me inadvertantly. Little maintenance, rigid fork and no derailuers means I can save my cash for DH parts. Plus a lot of the parts crossover- bashguards, tires, etc. I run a short stem, lower than XC seatpost height, BB7disks, and either 2.35 Nevegals or 2.5 Weirwolves. Plus, riding fully rigid forces you to work on line choice and makes even easy trails more technical.

Attachments

Bearmntpicnic

Monkey
Oct 23, 2005
charlottesville
I ride a On One inbred but I know they make a pretty sweet all mountain hard tail ride. The inbred is really sturdy but its pretty long and I deffenitly wouldent want to jump it. I bomb hills though I run 2.5 tires

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Plus, riding fully rigid forces you to work on line choice and makes even easy trails more technical.
Exactly! My wrists can't handle rigid, but the stiff fork and hardtail force you to become a precise rider. Even on the climbs you learn to lift your front end and pump over objects so they won't slow you down.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I ride a On One inbred but I know they make a pretty sweet all mountain hard tail ride. The inbred is really sturdy but its pretty long and I deffenitly wouldent want to jump it. I bomb hills though I run 2.5 tires
can you give me some detials about how you have your rig set up? fork, wheels, weight, etc. how tall are you and what size do you have?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
the only way that bianchi could be sweeter would be if it was a ti frame. that is one hot singlespeed.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
no worries cheesy one, i am a man who deserves a hard time.

that on-on inbred is looking tempting. good geo and a fair price at pricepoint.com. anyone care to share experiences?

EuroNewbie

Chimp
May 14, 2006
Raleigh, NC
I am running a Sette Reken its a cheap frame, but feels and rides great, throw on an air fork and a light build kit and it weighs in at just around 20lbs. I am running V-brakes which I often disconect on long flowing downhill areas to practice keeping momentum up and staying of the brakes :imstupid: Thankfully no bad wrecks yet. All in all I think it is great for DH training you have to pick your lines carefully, and you can pedal uphill.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I have way more fun on this bike than all of my other bikes combined, and I've been riding it more than anything else.

About 25lbs, it's a 1996 Stumpjumper, with a 35mm stem, 27" wide Easton bars, XT hubs with Mavic rims, Holzfeller DH cranks, 36-18 ratio, old school 105 deraillure ziptied to frame for uber silent snipery, and the most comfortable seat ever, run at optimum Super D height.

And it's 14 seconds faster than Biscuit's Jamis.