Quantcast

What's a good air shock?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Can anybody help me select a decent air shock? I haven't been following air shock progression in recent history, so I don't really know. Price isn't really an issue.

It's actually for a DH bike, but there will be two shocks. So think reliability and adjustability, as well as damping performance. Light weight isn't necessarily the biggest factor, and neither is platform valving.

Opinions on DT Swiss shocks too?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I have both a DHX air and a DHX coil for my Enduro and I am in the process of determining if there is any real measurable benefit to one or the other. I have run the air for nearly a solid year with LOTS of riding and it has performed wonderfully what little it lacks in plushness it makes up for in adjustability and light weight. So far I only have a short ride in on the coil but it feels fairly similar to the air. I just got the proper spring rate installed and will have more impression after riding again tomorrow.

I whole heartedly recommend the DHX air, mine has been put to the test and passed with flying colors. The only issue the DHX air's have had was a bad batch of quad lip seals that Fox got from a supplier who changed materials on them and didn't tell them first. That has been rectified and now the DHX air is as reliable as the coil. We have at least four guys at the shop running them hard with excellent results including one guy (pro) who is running Tunnel non-stop in 13 minutes and the DHX air is not overheating and he has done no maintenance to it whatsoever thus far. Also FWIW Duncan Riffle is running one on his Sunday and he also does LOTS of non-stop runs here in SB. If the DHX air can take that I can't imagine what it can't take.

EDIT: Just realized this is in the XC forum. :D Tried the Float RP3?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I can't use the dhx due to size (they don't have a 6.5x1.5). Is the rp3 very similar? I trust fox technology, but the only reviews I can find (mtbr) aren't very detailed. Fairly love or hate.

I like the Cane creek and Dt Swiss, and the fox is an obvious choice but I'm not sure how similar it is to the DHX. I've heard the Swinger 4 way leaks (mtbr) so I'm not sold on that guy.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'd stay away from Swingers, just because of reliability. Do you need any sort of platform damper? I had a DT Swiss for a bit and it held up nicely, no problems at all, but the lack of adjustability on my model kinda sucked. The fact that you can rebuild them yourself (like the Cane Creeks) was a nice plus, however.

If you don't need a pedal platform or anything, I'd consider a Float R or one with AVA as well.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I love the 5th element on my trail bike. I just set the air pressures and it rides like a dream. Efficient and durable - I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Sandwich said:
I can't use the dhx due to size (they don't have a 6.5x1.5). Is the rp3 very similar? I trust fox technology, but the only reviews I can find (mtbr) aren't very detailed. Fairly love or hate.

I like the Cane creek and Dt Swiss, and the fox is an obvious choice but I'm not sure how similar it is to the DHX. I've heard the Swinger 4 way leaks (mtbr) so I'm not sold on that guy.
I have great experiences with Fox air shocks in general. I haven't owned an RP3 but I have had a few Float RLs. With that said all the Manitou Swinger 4-ways that I have felt have all been really nice, although the reliability is questionable at best based on other Manitou products I've owned.