Quantcast

Whats a good all around downhill tire nowadays?

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
Ive been out of the downhill game for a pretty long time for various reasons, but ive started upgrading my Turner DHR 2002 for this season. I got some used Hope ti6 pots, a M. Shiver in good working condition and new bars for example, hoping to get back into the game.

My first problem though is that my old Gazzaloddi's are quite worn and need replacing. Im looking for a new set of tires, that do well on in most dry (or not considerably muddy) conditions, since i cant afford to keep several different tires like some more serious racers might. So im looking for a good all around tire, that has relative long lasting power for the grip provided. Problem is i havent kept up, and the tire market looks quite different from what i remember, and im not great at knob-design to see how they will perform.

Any suggestions or experiences with tires that would suit me? Price can be moderate but not very expensive. If i remember correctly, the DHR from 02 has 2.6" clearance, but then again my tioga factory's 2.3 are as wide as my old 2.6 gazzaloddi's so that necessarily doesnt say much.. So i need help!

These seem like something im looking for, any ideas? http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/themes/mtb/downhill_freeride/kaiser/derkaiser_en.html

Last edited:

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
hi and welcome back to DH!

my tires for dry conditions are at the moment:

Maxxis Minion DH Front (2,5" / 42a) in front

and

Maxxis High Roller DH (2,5" / 50a) on the rear.

i like this combination, but actually i don't care too much about the rear tire, could also be a Maxxis Minion DH Rear and i usually have the rear tire in a little harder compounds (50a, 60a) as they wear faster.

prices from CRC are ca 37,-€ for each.

no experience on contis.

Last edited:

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Your gonna get a long list of Maxxis Minion 2.5 42f/60r, and then Bullcrew will say Big Bettys.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Naah. Dual DHF is the way to go around here ;) DHR has really little advangates as a all around tire.

Hutchinson Barracuda in Low front and Medium rear compound worked amazing for me as an all around setup.

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
Continental Rubber Queen 2.4s are where it's at. Huge for a 2.4 tyre and they grip, even when run at their 45psi recommendation.

JKS

Chimp
Feb 26, 2008
Its the Kenda Nevegal! What a damn good do it all, (mostly) tire. I am yet to try the excavator but it looks nice.:cheers:

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
I tried out kenda telonix because they were cheap and I loved them. They are a great all around tire. They say that the tires are meant for wet conditions but I think they work great in the dry dusty conditions too. They roll really fast too.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Looks like a good tire.

http://bontrager.com/model/04146/en

- Gum-Bi compound gives stellar grip without premature wear
- Edge knobs are reinforced under the outer tread to maintain stiffness
- Condition specific design for traction on any surface
- Stability Control Casing (SCC) reduces squirm at low air pressure

chic06

Chimp
Sep 16, 2008
Kenda Excavator 2.5s awesome grip in pretty much any condition and the knobs don't fall off when the start to wear like the minions

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
The '02 DHR can fit any tire you want so long as it's not a 3.0. Michie 2.8 fit mine no problem. Not recommending that for a rear tire, just saying.