Quantcast

What's a good solid......

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
BMX chainwheel that will take some skatepark abuse? Low cost preferred. I thrashed mine last night with a very very light tap while dropping in on an 8' quarter.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I like the ones w/ just part of a bash guard on it. the guard sits at the bottom of the sprocket and protects the teeth and chain.

I have an FSA one and i dig it.
www.fullspeedahead.com go to bmx area.

alot of companys make these things so just look around for the cheapest price.
I think FSA will sell direct to you as I know www.danscomp.com and www.albes.com does not sell them.

Mar 27, 2002
South Carolina
FBM makes a good one. You just need to find a LBS who is set up with Tip Plus Distribution. Profile makes some good stuff too. You're not going to find one (unless you're on a pro/bro-deal somewhere) for under $50.00 or so. And that's cheap. We usually retail the FBM C/R w/ bashguard for $64.99.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
that's why i mentioned the FSA one.

i believe they are cheaper than the rest in price. but they are very nice and strong and hold up well.
everyone I know rides one of the FSA thingys and a few of them are pro's that ride ALOT.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
he said low cost prefered.....

I like to run a 36 tooth in front as it gives more clearance when doing stuff like droping in on quarters. I ran a 36/16 for a bit and it was fine. especially at a park where your not usually pedaling your balls off.
but now i have a 13 or something in the back and it pedals harder but i can go faster. also, the smaller sprocket, when hit, has less torque. so it's harder to tweek.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
hell yea. you got to have the bash thing.

I like how the new school ones just have a small guard on the bottom. perfect, in my opinion.

all the products that have this feature are good in my opinion. I happen to like FSA because they are damm nice and the price was right.

they are 8 mm thick. but not real heavy.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Kink makes a cool guard that you mount on the area of your ring that is down when your normal foot is forward. My Kink chainring has the holes to mount one, but I haven't needed it yet cuz I haven't been doing any stalls or grinds, just jumps :)

Edit: yeah, what Sideways said :D

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
My bro pulls these awesome bar spin disasters. He's got that partial grind plate on his chainwheel, he needs it, he slams the coping HARD. I dont' think I need it that bad, I just like spending time in the air.......for now. :devil: I was floored that my chainwheel bend with such a light tap on a coping, but it was just a crapola stock stamped ring too.