Quantcast

What's light enough?

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
My Faction Zeitgeist is supposed to be around 27 pounds stock. I switched out the seat and bars, so reckon it's about 26 or so now. But riding other guys 20 inch bikes at my local park, it's starting to feel a bit heavy. I don't think I'd like a bike as light as some of the 20's I've tried. I don't know how much they weigh, but seem kinda too light.
My old cruiser was about 29/30... I don't feel the difference too much anymore between that and my faction. Feel like I'd like to lose a couple of pounds.
What kind of weight do people out there like on their bikes?
Also, as a side note... How could I lose that couple of pounds, starting with the cheapest/ less lost on performance, components.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
My Faction Zeitgeist is supposed to be around 27 pounds stock. I switched out the seat and bars, so reckon it's about 26 or so now. But riding other guys 20 inch bikes at my local park, it's starting to feel a bit heavy. I don't think I'd like a bike as light as some of the 20's I've tried. I don't know how much they weigh, but seem kinda too light.
My old cruiser was about 29/30... I don't feel the difference too much anymore between that and my faction. Feel like I'd like to lose a couple of pounds.
What kind of weight do people out there like on their bikes?
Also, as a side note... How could I lose that couple of pounds, starting with the cheapest/ less lost on performance, components.
I don't mind a medium-weight bike--to me it feels stable in the air. But light can be rad too--especially on street or with tricks like tailwhips.

Main things to slim down on the Zeitgeist are the bars (which you already did), stem, crankset (especially the spindle which is pretty chunky) and the wheelset. If you got 36 spoke, 3/8 axle hubs you would definitely lose some weight.

I'm not sure, but Vernon's friend Jason Webb might have more 22" rims. I think he had to order a big batch of them.

the WEBBCO 22" http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235898

22 inches of Love - it feels just right
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237841

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
well I know my 20" brakeless weighs 22.5lbs. I've basically had the same setup now for 4 years and have yet to feel at any point that the weight of my bike was an issue. I'm also of the mindset though that it's easier to lose weight myself (which is preferred) rather than waste money on some parts to save a few grams.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Tires are the big one... all the really light BMX bikes I have seen have super-light tires. You can shave a lot of weight right there. Of course, your selection is not going to be too robust with 22s.... so that might not be an option.

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
Yeah, I'm waiting for the new tires from Faction, and hoping to lose weight right there. I know I don't want a bike too light. If I could get to 23/24 pounds, should be about right.

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
I don't mind a medium-weight bike--to me it feels stable in the air. But light can be rad too--especially on street or with tricks like tailwhips.

Main things to slim down on the Zeitgeist are the bars (which you already did), stem, crankset (especially the spindle which is pretty chunky) and the wheelset. If you got 36 spoke, 3/8 axle hubs you would definitely lose some weight.

Hey. Do you know what size spindle it is on the Zeitgeist and if i can fit 19mm profile spindle and cranks into this spanish bb? thanks.