Quantcast

Whats so awesome about Avy's

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
They respond to the terrain and handle anything that gets under them.
It's allows a much higher level of confidence knowing that it's not a weak link.
I always question shocks when landing, all that has to happen is have a seal blow or valve shims fail due to too much pressure or heat and WHAM! your seat is in the cornhole on a bad landing. Avy's eliminate that fear with their reliability and big hit and drop capabilities.
AVY'S RULE!

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
You pay for what you get!

fox vanilla rc = 299.99 +185 (pushed) = 485 custom tuned
Avalanche = 599.99 custom tuned.

Fox rebuild 95(fox dealers only)
avalanche rebuild 60(at any motox shop)

Fox 40 = 1600(not custom tuned)
Avy Dhfti = 1600(custom tuned)

yes the fox shocks are lighter, but when you consider ITS GOING ON A DH BIKE. Ill take the avy any day.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
You pay alot of money for a product that then gives you the right to act as part of an elitist cult, beating your chest about product superiority with nothing quantifiable to back up your statements.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
Rik said:
You pay alot of money for a product that then gives you the right to act as part of an elitist cult, beating your chest about product superiority with nothing quantifiable to back up your statements.
you obviously didnt read whast i hadst to say(custom vs. non custom). it was short sweet and to the point. their are many threads on the above subject you should search and read what has been stated. you may learn ALOT

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
umm. well my romic works just fine for me. as does my shiver. those are both waaay cheaper. whats your definition of custom tuned? in a fork you change the springs and set it for you and its custom tuned. sorry im not sold

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
lovebunny said:
umm. well my romic works just fine for me. as does my shiver. those are both waaay cheaper. whats your definition of custom tuned? in a fork you change the springs and set it for you and its custom tuned. sorry im not sold
shim stacks...a little different

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
Rik said:
Ehaha. Word. :cool:

I think Avys are great for the all around trail/freeriding riders. They're heavy yet reliable. Also.. they have that super cool remote resivoir.

I myself have a Romic since it came with my frame, works fine and in my opinion the 600 bucks for an Avy just isn't worth it. Thats like 20 Romic rebuilds... :sneaky:

-J

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Rik said:
Put one on and go drop off the sydney tower and the only part still functioning will be the avy! AAAAA YES LIVE LONG AVY CULT! Member since 8/04.
Take it to Brisbane and jump the story town bridge or try a gap to the tangalooma island and once again the only survivng part will be the AVY.
I like reliability and I like being able to have confidence in my equiptment.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
personnally i know 1 person that actually has one. they seem to like it. but they said if they hadn't gotten theirs free they never would have bought one. i think its mostly just hype. and a dhx5.0 will be just as nice and it costs less.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
bballe336 said:
personnally i know 1 person that actually has one. they seem to like it. but they said if they hadn't gotten theirs free they never would have bought one. i think its mostly just hype. and a dhx5.0 will be just as nice and it costs less.
And you say this from personal riding experience?
Oh yeah you don't!
Fox compared to an avy is like a huffy to an ironhorse, no comparison.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
bullcrew said:
Put one on and go drop off the sydney tower and the only part still functioning will be the avy!
Well I've already cracked one frame whilst running my DHS, and we'll see how the next bike goes... a steel DH rig that I'm customising the rear end on (new links + swingarm mods) just to fit the Avalanche.
Owning one and liking it doesn't mean I am not allowed to bag out fanboys, does it? :evil:

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
Kanter said:
My Romic with a steal spring weighs more than my Avy with a Ti spring.
hahaha. i love that. so the romics lighter. ti spring on one and a steel spring on another isnt a fair comparison. i dunno maybe im to much of a racer boi and thats why i dont like the forks. and ive felt one on my friends brooklyn and the front felt average but the back was butter. perfect for taking big hits.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
lovebunny said:
whats your definition of custom tuned? in a fork you change the springs and set it for you and its custom tuned. sorry im not sold
Well thats "custom tuned" for a Marzocchi, there is valving adjustments for your needs, its just not messing with oil and spring weights. It gets a little more involved than that.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
bullcrew said:
And you say this from personal riding experience?
Oh yeah you don't!
Fox compared to an avy is like a huffy to an ironhorse, no comparison.
Well now its not fair to say that, the DHX has the potential to be a good shock. We'll need to see a season on them to see if they hold up better than the old RC's. The 40, looks like a nice "race fork" And will probably be a great "race fork" for all around goofing off your probably better off with a Shiver or Avy with the dual damper. The Ti Avy even though there is a freeride version, IMO is more or less on par with the 40.....................a "race fork".

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Brian HCM#1 said:
Well thats "custom tuned" for a Marzocchi, there is valving adjustments for your needs, its just not messing with oil and spring weights. It gets a little more involved than that.
Is there a huge need for custom valving on a fork, with their 1:1 rate? On a rear shock with fancy rates and curves, fair enough, but up front, hmm... :confused:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Rik said:
Is there a huge need for custom valving on a fork, with their 1:1 rate? On a rear shock with fancy rates and curves, fair enough, but up front, hmm... :confused:
Changing springs and oil level may not cut it for everyone. It didn't for me with my 888, it took the compression sleave to make it close to feeling right, but still wasn't perfect for me.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
With adjustable high+low speed compression, rebound and preload, then playing with oil height and weight all as options available for tuning your fork, you'd have to be very picky to need custom valving. I'm sure they're good for some people, but they'd be a minority that standard forks couldn't satisfy.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
i think they're awsome because they're much more expensive than the ElHefe but exactly the same design, and they're custom tuned to be overdamped which makes everything else seem like crap in comparison :evil:

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
zedro said:
i think they're awsome because they're much more expensive than the ElHefe but exactly the same design, and they're custom tuned to be overdamped which makes everything else seem like crap in comparison :evil:

Define over-damped !! I think the damping is quite good, - actually it is better than the damping I have tried on other shocks. The Avy, - without the use of air (which I do not want in a shock) managed to damp in a way that I have been able to run much lighter springs than I have done on other shocks. In fact, - as long as the Avy takes up all the small stuff I do not think I will perveive it as over-damped.

Then, - in reliability it is second to none. They always function.
I guess if you can live with the weight, but are seeling for reliability the Avy is a good choice. Ohh yeah...and then....all the guys saying that an Avy is hype.....I bet they have never tried one !!!! And that is ok.....whatever fork and shock might feel ok when you are only comparing it to itself or to your friends with the same shock or fork.....but try one !!! and you may find out that there is a difference......if you, on the other hand, do not notice a difference.....then you should deffinitely not get an Avy :)

Nov 5, 2004
hartlepool, uk
What's the highs about Avalanche's? Everyone raves on about them but i know nothing and their home base is like 10 minutes from my house. Just being curious
you dont have one then?! ;)

the nitrogen does more than that, mine went down to something stupidly low like 13psi, and it felt like **** but now its fully charged its sexual again

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Ok guys...enough with the insults....

I don't own any avalanche hardware but I can tell you that I'd love to have front suspension that I can get adjusted to work perfectly for me when it comes to high and low speed compression. By the way, I'll be tearing apart my El Jefe soon so I'll post pics of what's inside. I need to adjust my compression shims so at the beginning of stroke it becomes so fast and smoothe and sexual it'll be like throwing a hotdog down a hallway. ;)

...honestly, all this avalanache stuff or anything that uses shim stacks and small adjustments are for people that are picky about their stuff (like me and a bunch of others here). I can't afford a new fork right now so I'm still running my Stratos S7 which I've modded the spring stacks and compression damping. If I had a fork with shim stacks...MMMM...from the stuff I've been learning off of http://www.suspensionnetwork.com/ it would be awesome.

For the DHX, if I ever get tired of my El Jefe and it's weight, that's my next choice with Ti spring. Zedro's been running his since last year and it's really nice.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
ChrisRobin said:
I can't afford a new fork right now so I'm still running my Stratos S7 which I've modded the spring stacks and compression damping. If I had a fork with shim stacks...MMMM...from the stuff I've been learning off of http://www.suspensionnetwork.com/ it would be awesome.
You do have a fork with shim stacks, and even better, I believe you can actually get to the piston and tear it down, I know I did with my S8. That is why stratos forks are well damped and feel similer to marzocchis (although I always felt that they were a little over-damped). Both forks use cartridge dampers with shims, but in the case of the stratos, you can take it all apart and get to the piston/shims.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
zedro said:
i think they're awsome because they're much more expensive than the ElHefe but exactly the same design
zed, i know yr trolling here, but the avy/el jefe evolution isn't exactly a chicken and egg situation...avy was on the market several years before the Me-Too product rolled out of stratos...

nickaziz

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
It wasn't just a me-too product... it was a direct rip-off. Yes, it may have the same design, but it has Stratos **** warranty, build quality, customer service, and so on.