Quantcast

Whats so awesome about Avy's

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
nickaziz said:
Is the avalanche a direct copy of an mx shock? No.

There are two points here: 1) The Stratos is a direct copy of the avy, whereas the avy is a scaled down mx shock, not a replica of a specific model 2) even if the avy was an exact copy of an mx shock (which it isnt), they are not a competitor with mx companies and they are not in the same industry, so the arguement is moot.
The internals are a direct copy of an MX shock, enough said.

nickaziz

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
Jm_ said:
The internals are a direct copy of an MX shock, enough said.
What shock model did they copy? I have never seen an MX shock that is dimensionally identical to an avy. If Stratos was as "capable" as Avalanche as a suspension maker, they would have designed their own scaled-down mx shock, rather than copy the avy piece for piece.

SuPaFlY

Chimp
Jan 7, 2005
Toronto
Jm_ said:
If you truely believe that, you need to start whining about how avalanche rear shocks are a direct rip off of motorcross shocks. What, does it make it special because avalanche put a piston with shims in a cylinder and marketed it for mountain bikes? Using already proven and accessable technology, avalanche didn't invent squat.

Agreed on that one. They didnt invent anything, they just stopped making things up. SPV in forks, all these mumbo jumbo valving ideas, why try to re-invent suspension. There are industries that have all but perfected suspension design so why ignore it? if you look at the internals to an AVY, nothing is plastic, everything is hard annodized, perfection. all the Tolerances are exact so you have no worries of malfunction in the fork or shock. I never noticed an over damping in the rear shocks but it depends on ride style. all in all it comes down to engineers with crazy ideas on what you need, not what works best.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
nickaziz said:
What shock model did they copy? I have never seen an MX shock that is dimensionally identical to an avy. If Stratos was as "capable" as Avalanche as a suspension maker, they would have designed their own scaled-down mx shock, rather than copy the avy piece for piece.
doesn't the avalanche use off-the-shelf parts? Seals, shims, etc...

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
zedro said:
fun fact: Stratos actually encourages you to play with the shims, so ElHefe owners are not surprisingly more self-actualised people :D
HAHAHA....that's because Stratos is the worst company in the history of mountain bikes....the encourage you to play with shims because a monkey on mescaline could probably come up with a better valving scheme than the ones they put in their shocks.....stratos sucks dicks for nickels and made a cheap knock off of an avy but made it from pot metal to save som cash....this thread is stupid

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
nickaziz said:
I don't think they copied piece by piece...some things are different. Maybe it never occured to them to make a MX shock until Avy came along. They had the Helix DH back in the day that had air assist...which everyone laughed at: "yeah, using air assist for dh...sure!"

Anyways, I can't go into length concerning the other posts right this second but I plan on pulling apart my El Jefe to see what's going on inside. I'll post pics and compare with the Avy internal pics.

edit. I thought about this...when Avalanche was becoming a little more common, Stratos was going through changes, staff changes and OnSport buying them. Maybe they didn't think it would be a good idea to come up with a heavy MX-style shock at the time. Maybe after seeing Craig have so much success, they thought they missed the boat. Who knows.

How

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Area 51
Yah avalanche do rule. Do I really need to say more?

The shock is so plush and never bottoms whoever said it's overdamped need to ride my bike in 8" mode. I run it in 5.5" and have no problem CASING 15+ foot drops.

All other shocks blow yes they do... the only one I have seen not get absolutely maimed beyond recognition up here is the new DHX but there's only like 1 in town on a VpFree, i've seen just about everything happen to just about every other shock on the market... my Avalanche has been solid for like 2.5 seasons now, and i've only had it rebuilt once.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Ian Collins said:
HAHAHA....that's because Stratos is the worst company in the history of mountain bikes....
thats why i didnt buy one, i dont trust the company in general and there hasent been enough feedback on the ElHefe (i certainly would never consider their other products). Devils advocacy is super-fun tho, i can picture half the posters here running to the garage to hug their shocks....

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
How said:
Yah avalanche do rule. Do I really need to say more?

The shock is so plush and never bottoms whoever said it's overdamped need to ride my bike in 8" mode. I run it in 5.5" and have no problem CASING 15+ foot drops.

All other shocks blow yes they do... the only one I have seen not get absolutely maimed beyond recognition up here is the new DHX but there's only like 1 in town on a VpFree, i've seen just about everything happen to just about every other shock on the market... my Avalanche has been solid for like 2.5 seasons now, and i've only had it rebuilt once.
Plus HOWs Avy is on a Banshee.

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
zedro said:
thats why i didnt buy one, i dont trust the company in general and there hasent been enough feedback on the ElHefe (i certainly would never consider their other products). Devils advocacy is super-fun tho, i can picture half the posters here running to the garage to hug their shocks....
What type of shock is on your bike? Is it a DHX or the ElHefe... I thought it was ElHefe but now it sounds like it may not be...
BTW any recent pictures of your bike? Still have the Shiver on it?

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
zedro said:

We hug them all the time !! Dont you ??? If not, - that is why you can not have an Avy....they need hugs :love:

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
DH biker said:
What type of shock is on your bike? Is it a DHX or the ElHefe... I thought it was ElHefe but now it sounds like it may not be...
BTW any recent pictures of your bike? Still have the Shiver on it?
He has a DHX.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Jm_ said:
You do have a fork with shim stacks, and even better, I believe you can actually get to the piston and tear it down, I know I did with my S8. That is why stratos forks are well damped and feel similer to marzocchis (although I always felt that they were a little over-damped). Both forks use cartridge dampers with shims, but in the case of the stratos, you can take it all apart and get to the piston/shims.
Ahhh...I never really looked. I'll guess I'll be playing what that soon aswell. I'm going to try to change some of the shims to make the fork a little more plush on heavier, faster hits...once I look at it and get a sense of what's going on.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
scottishmark said:
quick question, how many shims does the El Jefe have?
I'm not exactly sure...you talking about how many shim stacks or just shims in each shim stack? I think it'll be similar to the Avy shocks...one shim stack for compression and one shim stack for rebound. The compression adjuster regulates the hi and lo speed with blow off valves as far as I know (I'm not 100% sure on what's in there yet anyway).

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
nickaziz said:
It wasn't just a me-too product... it was a direct rip-off. Yes, it may have the same design, but it has Stratos **** warranty, build quality, customer service, and so on.
I don't know...so far they've been treating me ok...and that's with the last few years. Again, I've heard 'stories' about Craig.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
ChrisRobin said:
But people have been pissed off at Stratos before...like Rockshox, Manitou and every other brand out there.
well back in the day, no matter how terrible Stratos products were they were always golden due to great CS. When they got bought over, it all (or alot) went downhill.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
zedro said:
well back in the day, no matter how terrible Stratos products were they were always golden due to great CS. When they got bought over, it all (or alot) went downhill.
But they had good stuff back in the day...remember Mike's 2000 S8?? He loved that thing which is why he bought another one after he sold you his Shiver. I don't know what happened but it didn't feel the same. Also keep in mind we had to always go through OGC which was a joke. They didn't have a clue what to do. If we would of went directly to Stratos, I think everything would of been better. I don't know if Stratos dropped OGC to become customer direct or if OGC dropped them...either way, it's better now.

Anyways, we're shifting focus here...Avalanche is the main topic.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
ChrisRobin said:
But they had good stuff back in the day...remember Mike's 2000 S8?? He loved that thing which is why he bought another one after he sold you his Shiver. I don't know what happened but it didn't feel the same. Also keep in mind we had to always go through OGC which was a joke. They didn't have a clue what to do. If we would of went directly to Stratos, I think everything would of been better. I don't know if Stratos dropped OGC to become customer direct or if OGC dropped them...either way, it's better now.

Anyways, we're shifting focus here...Avalanche is the main topic.
well talking more about what was happening on mtbr at the time (pre-ridemonkey days). Back then, Stratos WAS Avalanche with the same die-hardness followings. They had some reliability problems but the warranty department was fast and loose and on a first name basis. After the CS guys left and the company took a harder stance, they turned to mud. Its funny to think the way some people felt about Stratos back then is exactly the way Avy is now (well, i noticed it has lost some sheen lately)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
zedro said:
well talking more about what was happening on mtbr at the time (pre-ridemonkey days). Back then, Stratos WAS Avalanche with the same die-hardness followings. They had some reliability problems but the warranty department was fast and loose and on a first name basis. After the CS guys left and the company took a harder stance, they turned to mud. Its funny to think the way some people felt about Stratos back then is exactly the way Avy is now (well, i noticed it has lost some sheen lately)
That is funny you say that because it does contain some truth. In the early 2000's Stratos was the sh*t, it was considered one of the best out there. They had some CS issues and the hate started flying. Even though they continued to put out a descent product everyone jumped ship because of their business practices. Some people like the small manufacture tweeky tweeky product (me included) than the mass produced stuff. It's kind of like stereo equipment, you can go main stream for example Sony, Dennon, Onkio etc, maybe step it up a hair Sony ES, Pioneer Elite. Or then you can go more expensive rare like Lexicon. It's all a matter of taste and preference, plus I prefer the more WOW & performance bike than the everyone has one & performance bike.

nickaziz

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
zedro said:
Except that Avalanche doesn't have quaility problems, doesn't have poor reliability, and while Craig may be hard to talk to, doesn't have bad customer service.

Avalanche might not be the be all and end all, but it is a much more solid company than Stratos.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I absolutely cannot even begin to believe that these threads STILL come up and STILL go on for 100+ posts.

Christ, hasn't everyone learned by now that any time a thread contains both the word "Avalanche" and the name "zedro", it's time to just ignore it? It's hilarious how little it takes for him to get a reaction out of everyone, over and over and over.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
nickaziz said:
....and while Craig may be hard to talk to, doesn't have bad customer service.

well when someone refuses to setup your shock the way you want it, or, and quote from the site, "do not sell shocks with a warranty for untested set-ups", well i wouldnt call that stellar service lol. In that case they better be super-reliable :blah:

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
binary visions said:
It's hilarious how little it takes for him to get a reaction out of everyone, over and over and over.
not just everyone, the same people over and over again :D

whats funnier is originally i never even said anything bad about Avys, i just said i liked 'brand X'....then everyone freaked out and was declared Hitler lol

Biker Grove

Chimp
Apr 29, 2005
None of you have thought about longevity. An Avalanche will almost certainly (I'D HAVE THOUGHT) out last other brands lightweight, pot metal, cheap looking cast crap. You can also get Craig to change the eye-to-eye/stroke length should you decide to swap your frame. Also I'd have thought Avalanche stuff would be more durable for the heavier, clumsier, less smooth rider or just anyone not too keen on ridiculous amounts of maintenance, who wants durabilty, top quality and fit and forget, reliable suspension.

Let's face it you yanks make some real nasty crap (see ALL your cars for proof of that lol). You also make SOME real good stuff (see NASA, Boeing, RCS, etc, etc). To the point though: just look at the prices of some of your ****ty cast bike parts etc. Avalanche is the only bike suspension that looks and is of motorbike suspension, quality, everything else looks "toy townish" and like it came off a kids bike from ToysRus. I wil not pay high prices for american crap. Craig deserves a pat on the back and a medal for raising the bar higher.

If you don't agree with me; remember we are all entitled to our opinion. So I don't give two fooks what you think. Ok? Good. If you don't like it, maybe you could contact that retard George Bush, who TRYS to run your country; I'm sure he could sort it for a few of your high school dropouts ahem 'soldiers,' sorry, to fire a few missiles this way. I've no oil though, sorry.

EDIT. NO, I don't use Avalanche stuff- I would like to when I get into DH. At the moment i'm a hardtail rider. Ok? Good. Just so you ****ers don't mince/mix/twist my words like the nit-picking, argumentative, patronising, self-important, pathetic, sanctimonious, clueless, gushing, e-biking, homosexual, wannabe super-racer/industry bigwig, asshole americans you are.

Thankyou.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Since I'm not in the mood to pick any particular comment out and disect the individuals mental capacity, I'll just say
AVY! AVY! AVY! AVY! AVY! oh yeah i forgot to mention AVY! AVY! AVY!
got it, if not get it!
And yes I like the El Jeffe's as well, who cares about it being a take off they work awesome and why re invent the wheel.
I still run Avy but Stratos makes one hell of a shock as well even if it resembles an Avy. You can't perfect perfection just replicate it.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
binary visions said:
I absolutely cannot even begin to believe that these threads STILL come up and STILL go on for 100+ posts.

Christ, hasn't everyone learned by now that any time a thread contains both the word "Avalanche" and the name "zedro", it's time to just ignore it? It's hilarious how little it takes for him to get a reaction out of everyone, over and over and over.
Yeah it's funny no one posts anything like "what's so good about Nicolai" or "what's so good about BMW".

I always find it's a fun read...especially when it's the same people posting and saying the same things over and over again.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
nickaziz said:
Except that Avalanche doesn't have quaility problems, doesn't have poor reliability, and while Craig may be hard to talk to, doesn't have bad customer service.

Avalanche might not be the be all and end all, but it is a much more solid company than Stratos.
I assume you had a bad experience with Stratos or a friend had an issue that kept you from riding somehow. Either way, someone somewhere has had an issue with every company out there leading them to not like the company...kinda like me and Balfa. Awesome bikes, smoothe...but the company made me incredibly angry when they blew me off about a quality issue. Others here swear by them.

In the end, I'm just trying to bring some balance to all of this.

Biker Grove

Chimp
Apr 29, 2005
Bullcrew wrote:

"Since I'm not in the mood to pick any particular comment out and disect the individuals mental capacity, I'll just say
AVY! AVY! AVY! AVY! AVY! oh yeah i forgot to mention AVY! AVY! AVY!
got it, if not get it!"

Hit a nerve did I? Yeah? Good. I knew I would. Bit touchy you yanks are, aren't you? Trouble with you yanks is you live in the "land of dreams", so you are asleep most the time. You all need to come back to reality, stop dreaming, realise you don't own the world and see the real world and how you are ****ing it up. Realise you cant bully everyone all the time to get your own way. I bet you'd love to come sink a bullet in my skull now, wouldn't you? Don't cry now fatboy. McDonalds will be open soon.

Avy is one of the only brands from the USA that isn't cheap crap and a complete rip-off. All your other pot metal nasty cast crap eg Fox, Progressive, Manipoo, Avid, Hayes etc, all sells off the back of over zealous, over expensive marketing campaigns, backed up with considerable amounts of good old bull****, American style. Their marketing campaigns might fool you fat, dumb, bloated yanks but the rest of the world is not so gullible, stupid and easy to pull the wool over. I mean, just look at your whole media and the way you Americans lap up all the bull**** and lies fed to you. Bush went to war for the sole purpose of getting OIL, oil to run all your thirsty, huge, ****ty trucks you lazy, selfish ****ers drive. WAKE UP YOU MORONS. You're all brainwashed, media-whore IDIOTS. Ha ha ha. Laughable.

So, you can keep your cheap looking, rip-off crap, just like you can keep your ****ty, horrible, tacky POS cars. Notice how NO ONE buys American cars except Americans? I wonder why........ You yanks just have no sense of quality or style.

PS. The Bermuda triangle is to some extent, magical. It's where Americans die/dissapear. I sometimes sit drinking a pint, thinking of it dreamily.

I hope this pisses off a fair few yanks. If you don't like it; boo ****ing hoo- go ****-off to McDonalds or go read the bible like the bible bashing, overly patriotic assholes you are.