Quantcast

whats the best cable actuated disc brake?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
and why?

i want one with lots of rotor clearance so a bent rotor will
not rub much.

thanks alex

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Avid BB7 IMO. The adjustable inboard and outboard pads make it easier to adjust, as most don't have the ability to adjust both. When setup right they've got great power and I've run 'em with very bent rotors before with pretty good results.

The thing is that all mechs will pretty much have the same pad to other pad distance, and that's where rotors rub. If that distance is different the lever will have more or less slack in it because all V-brake levers pull the same amount of cable.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
bb7s if you're concerned about a bent rotor. but lots of clearance = way too much lever throw and 0 power.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I have never seen a better comb than the BB7 w/ a 165mm rotor and some last generation XTR levers. Pure Sex.

They rock because you adjust the inner pad with the bolts on the adapter then lock it down. Then you just tweak the outer pad adjuster tool free...

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
bb7 with kool stop or swissstop pads, just as powerful as a hydro brake.

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
bb7's also but if you like the way bmx brakes feel...somewhat squishy you can definately run a bmx lever on a cable disc, I am currently running a Dia Compe Tech 77 (best bmx lever ever made) with a POS hayes mx2 caliper.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The BB5 doesn't have the outboard pad adjustment. Still great brakes and a bit cheaper too!

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
The biggest problem with them with regards to total power output is likely cable stretch. Is there any company that makes extremely high strength/low-stretch cables? Wound steel cables stretch and get fouled in poor weather- even the coated or sheathed ones- as anyone with a derailleur knows. I've always wondered why the incredibly low-stretch/high strength/unfoulable/lightweight/slick braided synthetic lines used in some fishing applications have not been adapted to cycling use yet. Somebody should research this and try to make a ducat because the technology is there and I know I am not the only one who is sick of having rides ruined by hydro leaks, air bubbles, fluid vapor fade and dealing with their overall maintenance bitchiness.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
The biggest problem with them with regards to total power output is likely cable stretch. Is there any company that makes extremely high strength/low-stretch cables? Wound steel cables stretch and get fouled in poor weather- even the coated or sheathed ones- as anyone with a derailleur knows. I've always wondered why the incredibly low-stretch/high strength/unfoulable/lightweight/slick braided synthetic lines used in some fishing applications have not been adapted to cycling use yet. Somebody should research this and try to make a ducat because the technology is there and I know I am not the only one who is sick of having rides ruined by hydro leaks, air bubbles, fluid vapor fade and dealing with their overall maintenance bitchiness.

This is a valid argument although I've found with cable discs that the el cheapo pyramid and such cables outperform the higher end jagwire cables and the like. Also, changing out a cable is far less a pita than replacing hose/bleeding. It normally took about 6 months of abuse before I'd change the cables on my trail bike. I'd still be running avids if I hadn't scored a set of champagne hayes for nuthin' - avids are still my back up though :monkeydance: