Quantcast

whats the best ride in flagstaff???

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
so, with just one more day of open forests, whats the best ride in flagstaff... looking for a moderate difficulty with some good terrain.. something maybe around 10-15 miles??? i jsut want to have one last good ride before the forests are closed!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
nikwho said:
so, with just one more day of open forests, whats the best ride in flagstaff... looking for a moderate difficulty with some good terrain.. something maybe around 10-15 miles??? i jsut want to have one last good ride before the forests are closed!
What, they close the forest? Seriously?

Buddy of mine is going out there for business next month and was going to bring his bike... should he?

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
well, because of all of the fires right now they are closing the forests down for any and everybody! they dont want any body to get traped in a wildland fire! i think that monsoon season is coming up soon so once we get some good rain, they'll open it all back up... I cant speak for everyone, but i imagine that ill still do a little riding in the forest even with it closed! just wont be able to park in the trail head parking lot.. :-) there is no telling how long it'll be closed... just as long as its this dry! but they are closing everything down, even lake mary!!

Doode

Chimp
May 20, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
nikwho said:
well, because of all of the fires right now they are closing the forests down for any and everybody! they dont want any body to get traped in a wildland fire! i think that monsoon season is coming up soon so once we get some good rain, they'll open it all back up...
Actually they're worried about humans starting another forest fire. The Brine fire was caused by people not putting out their campfire.

Here is a link with the closure notice: http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/news/2006/6-19-06-forest-closes.shtml

I'm sure we'll see me closures this summer. Prescott is still open and the lifts are running at Sunrise. I'll be heading out this weekend to get while the getting is good.

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
well, there are a few reasons for the forests being closed.. We were talking about it at work today with the usfs guys... i guess this is the second time in history that the coconino forest has been shut down... sure as ****, i was an my way to the gym after work today and they closed everything down even earlier than scheduled! everything is shut down already! its not going to open up again untill we get some good rain from the monsoons!