Quantcast

Whats the best xc bike in the world

kevomcenzy

Chimp
May 17, 2004
Hi
i was wondering whats the best xc bike in these price ranges 600-900
900-1200 1200-1500 and 1500 - 2000 and 2000- infinity i was just wondering what i should bye :help:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
that's a HUUGE question. First off, there is no best or perfect, even if you break it down into price indexes. Tell us a bit about yourself and we can give you some suggestions, but you are going to have to try them... every bike fits differently, and fit is as important (or more important) than anything else about a bike.

So, how tall are you? What do you weight? Where do you live? What kinds of trails do you ride? How aggresively do you ride? Are we talking pure XC, or trail riding? How long have you been riding? What types of bikes are you used to? Do you want full suspension or a hardtail?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The best bike in the world, for ME, for XC racing in the Southeast or on the NCS circuit would be a custom Yeti ARC with Spooky Darkside geometry, XO, a '98 SID and V-brakes.

The Best XC bike in the world, for ME for XC racing in the Northeast would probally be SC blur with hayes Mags, a Minute 2 and XO.

The Best trailbike in the world would be an Orange Patriot with a 5e air shock, Minute 3, Hayes mags and full XO.

kevomcenzy

Chimp
May 17, 2004
im nearly six foot weigh bout 72 kilos i think i just do cross country alot of uphill roads/fireroads and tecnical and alot of tecnical downhill i was looking at one of the new style xc full suspension ie trek fuel or giant nrs and i spending about 12oo - 1400 so i was thinking about an nrs frame and gradually building it up what you think? :stupid:

bizirka

Chimp
Apr 18, 2004
The best XC bike is the 2002 or 2001 Trek STP 400...... Its the nicest bike ever.... look it up.....if you need info on were to get it just give me an email.
good luk

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
kevomcenzy said:
im nearly six foot weigh bout 72 kilos i think i just do cross country alot of uphill roads/fireroads and tecnical and alot of tecnical downhill i was looking at one of the new style xc full suspension ie trek fuel or giant nrs and i spending about 12oo - 1400 so i was thinking about an nrs frame and gradually building it up what you think? :stupid:
that's a pretty good description of what you ride, if you descend alot of technical downhill you might want to get something with a little more travel and slacker head angle than the NRS. I have a Specialized Enduro Expert and it has adjustable air shocks so i can have a completely locked out bike, or i can have a bike with 80-100mm in the fork and 100mm in the rear shock for pure XC technical grinding and/or climbing or i can (while i ride mind you) flip the switches and go 120mm and 120mm for the bombing descent.

Everybody rides a little different and everyone has different terrain to ride so there is no "best".......
I think the stock enduro expert bike lists at 2400 american.....
Here's a pic of my bike it's at 31lbs. but i built mine burly i'm 6'2'' 240

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
the best bike in the world is whatever one that the poster owns/rides. it's a proven scientific fact. why? the blur is far from perfect as it is still a first year frame. i'm not saying it's crap, but it still has a way to go. i own a burner and while it is a good ride, there is a thing or two that i'd change before i'd take it over any bike out there. intense? no. imo, i think specialized, over any company out there, puts out a great overall package for several genres and pricepoints.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
kevomcenzy said:
Hi
<snip> i was just wondering what i should bye :help:
Whatever you do, don't spend weeks and weeks deciding. Just buy a nice bike and ride the piss out of it. One of two things will happen - you'll discover it doesn't fit your riding style, or you'll simply adapt to the bike.

Whatever you decide upon - get it quick and start riding the crap out of it. You'll be a much happier :monkey:

-S.S.-

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'd say an Ellsworth would be a good choice... just pick the one with the best geometry/travel for you. I've riden a few and they are killer bikes. And from what I've read, they have one of the best (read: effective/efficient) rear suspension designs going.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
jacksonpt said:
I'd say an Ellsworth would be a good choice... just pick the one with the best geometry/travel for you. I've riden a few and they are killer bikes. And from what I've read, they have one of the best (read: effective/efficient) rear suspension designs going.
He did mention wanting to spend 1200-1400, which wouldn't even get him a Truth frame.

Unless he bought used. And I've heard that Ellsworth is tough enough to deal with warranty-wise if you buy it new, and forget it if you buy it used.

The NRS works as advertised - and the frame will set you back ~900 brand new. Although for ~1500 I think you can get the chi-chi carbon NRS frame..... :drool:

I have a long-ish travel (80-120mm) fork on my NRS and it handles tech XC really well (or is that Trail Riding?).

-S.S.-

kevomcenzy

Chimp
May 17, 2004
i like that good nrs talk :thumb: and the dealer only trek serveice rules the treck out . Giant it is now i have to sell my current bike. Now are all nrs frames the same so could i bye an nrs3 and then upgrade or should i just get nrs1 or air frame :heart: and will anywhere deliver to ireland from america :monkey:

VA2SLOride

Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
SkaredShtles said:
Whatever you do, don't spend weeks and weeks deciding. Just buy a nice bike and ride the piss out of it. One of two things will happen - you'll discover it doesn't fit your riding style, or you'll simply adapt to the bike.

Whatever you decide upon - get it quick and start riding the crap out of it. You'll be a much happier :monkey:

-S.S.-
Exactly. I bought my first full-sus a year ago, a Giant Warp. It took a while to adapt to, and now that I've realized it's limitations, I'm looking into something new...it's still an enjoyable ride, though. I don't think it would've been if I didn't ride the hell out of it.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
kevomcenzy said:
i like that good nrs talk :thumb: and the dealer only trek serveice rules the treck out . Giant it is now i have to sell my current bike. Now are all nrs frames the same so could i bye an nrs3 and then upgrade or should i just get nrs1 or air frame :heart: and will anywhere deliver to ireland from america :monkey:
All NRS frames are the same. Unless they've changed something.

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
kevomcenzy said:
am the only one here that cant afford to spend a fortune on bikes im on a budget rember
Not the only one. I wrecked my last bike by driving it into my garage, so insurance chucked some money at me. I used that money to buy a used Xtc Team (NRS Air). So my budget *was* limited, just by how much the ins co coughed up. :)

-S.S.-

Muddy D

Chimp
Jun 24, 2004
The NRS is what, a Horst design, turned 90 degrees? I've read owners talk about it being a good bike, but it has a harsh back end. If you do lots of bumpy terrain, that back end is gonna bang you around.

If you want a more supple ride, go for Iron Horse's Hollowpoint Sport, which hits the price point with a Blur-esque suspension design. Virtual Pivot rear with 4.5 inches of travel. That would be something like 110 cm, converted for the non-inch-using world. It also has a thicker headset for some downhill abuse (they've had championships won on the thing, so I like to think it holds up).

Side note: the Blur isn't a first-year frame. SC bought the design from another company. They improved it a lot over the first gen, so I'd say it's currently at version 2.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Muddy D said:
The NRS is what, a Horst design, turned 90 degrees? I've read owners talk about it being a good bike, but it has a harsh back end. If you do lots of bumpy terrain, that back end is gonna bang you around.

If you want a more supple ride, go for Iron Horse's Hollowpoint Sport, which hits the price point with a Blur-esque suspension design. Virtual Pivot rear with 4.5 inches of travel. That would be something like 110 cm, converted for the non-inch-using world. It also has a thicker headset for some downhill abuse (they've had championships won on the thing, so I like to think it holds up).

Side note: the Blur isn't a first-year frame. SC bought the design from another company. They improved it a lot over the first gen, so I'd say it's currently at version 2.
Good point about the NRS. I've taken one for a ride and it's efficient as hell, but only because you set it up with no sag. I've never ridden an Iron Horse, but if hype means anything, it's gotta be at least a decent ride.

Regarding the Blur, the frame is still a couple years away from being the perfect ride it's touted to be.... imo.

amdmaxx

Chimp
May 1, 2003
Noob Question: What is the difference between trail 5.5 and 4" XC? Less travel = more for straight roads?
Jacksonpt - I went to SUNY Binghamton 94-98, lived in Versal, right on vestal prwy (1425 vestal was my address, right across Burger King).. U live there permanently?
U lucky u have some nice trails there..

fasterTHANyou

Monkey
Dec 12, 2003
washington dc
kevomcenzy said:
ok does anyone know any american onlines store that sell nrs1 frame sets alliminium not carbon
why not try to find a local bike shop that can work with you to find a bike to suit your needs. buying a bike online is useless unless you know EXACTLY what you want, and it sounds like you're a million miles from that...

in my opinion, you ought to get a hardtail. it doesnt sound like you're doing any kind of riding that you're going to *need* full suspension for. you'll get more for your money with a hardtail, and maintenance won't be such an issue. it'll make you a better rider

I've ridden a stumpy, a cannondale, and I own a Tracer. Out of the 3, I have to go with the Tracer. My stumpy fit me perfect, but Specialized can be anal with thier warrenties. So I used my buddy'd Cannondale Gemini for about 4 months till I had enough to build my Tracer. It fits me like a glove and takes a pounding better than anything I've ridden. You can run a coil shock, or an air shock on it. But, with the advent of VPP, (having only ridden it once) I'd have to go with a santa cruz Superlight, if you worry about weight, or a Blur if you ride more aggressively. It's all according to what you want to ride, or what you fork out for a bike. (Usually) You pay for what you get.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Dude, ur comparing a Gemini to a Blur on a thread about an XC bike. Then you mention VPP and Superlight. The whole post is kinda :confused: :think:

genpowell71 said:
. So I used my buddy's Cannondale Gemini for about 4 months till I had enough to build my Tracer. .

What part of "used my buddy's Gemini till I had enough to build my Tracer" did you not understand? Its a pretty straight forward statement. I used his bike. I never commented on the Gemini. Why would I compare a freeride/DH bike to a cross coutry bike? Ok, lets do it this way then. Dude, the Gemini is a freeride bike, and is all wrong for XC riding. But If I had to pick a bike to ride XC on, it would be ther Blur or the Superlight (if your worried about weight). Does this make everyone happy?

:thumb:

CrazyGambit

Chimp
Jul 30, 2004
Heart of Dixie..
SkaredShtles said:

-S.S.-
i am so biased to a nice hardtail 99 homegrown xt all the way except brakes and levers.. sounds like you got your mind on a fs bike though... so just ride a couple and decide.. dont drag out the decision though..