Quantcast

What's the best XC tire?

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I've used Michi Comp S Lites(XCR Dry for '05), and liked them. However, my Fuel came with Bontrager Super X tuless ready which you need sealant for. I'm liking them a lot, 550g, and I've had no problems with them. They're similar to the Pythons.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I use Kenda Nevegals or Blue Grooves...the Nevegals if is loose or wet out and the BG's for eveything else....D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
For out here in the dryness, Pythons for both racing and trail riding. In wet goo, Tioga Red Phoenix for racing, and Conti Verts or the Kenda Nevegals for trail riding.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
jacksonpt said:
yea, depends on the conditions and the terrain, but I generally ride Conti Verticals.
Ditto, they do wear fast though. I run the ust version and often run them under 30 PSI. You pay a speed penalty on fireroads but on the trail they hold on where higher pressures would washout. Probaly the most sticky xc tire I have had.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
WTB Weirwolf up front
Maxxis Larsen TT in the rear.

Those Kenda Karma's dont look too bad for the rear. Are they UST? How much can you usually find them for?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Those Kenda Karma's dont look too bad for the rear. Are they UST? How much can you usually find them for?
Those particular ones are mine, and are not UST, just Kevlar bead. They are available in UST though. I think they retail for around $40.

Here's a better pic of the tread pattern.

Aug 27, 2004
you gotta get the nokian NBX light..this is a super light tire and is the best performer that i have ever had!
it won't let you down!
peace

Feb 23, 2005
Spokanada
Panaracer Fire XC Pro.

Love the Kevlar bead, can roll the tires off and on without tools. Makes for quick field repairs. High knobs for outstanding traction, nice spacing for shedding the mud, light weight.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
HenryTheHammer said:
Panaracer Fire XC Pro.

Love the Kevlar bead, can roll the tires off and on without tools. Makes for quick field repairs. High knobs for outstanding traction, nice spacing for shedding the mud, light weight.
Fire XC Pro here too. The outstanding traction is helped by the multi-height knobs and the side knobs really help when cornering.

Mad Dog

Chimp
Feb 23, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I agree with Henrythehammer and pixelninja. I have ridden the Fire XC Pro form SoCal to the PNW and I've found it to be a great tire. The (old) WTB Velociraptors are great for absolute traction but they are heavy and tend to dig in corners. Try the Panaracers

wujj

Chimp
Apr 8, 2003
Boulder, CO/ Taiwan
pixelninja said:
Fire XC Pro here too. The outstanding traction is helped by the multi-height knobs and the side knobs really help when cornering.

Try the new Panaracer Cinder 2.1 and 1.95 tires. I like them even more than the Fire XC. The Cinder's compound is better on rocks and roots, and still wears at a pretty slow rate.

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
I run 2.1 WTB Exiwolf front and 2.0 WTB Nanoraptor rear. Works in everything except really thick gravel. Light weight. The Nanoraptor has tons of tration and very low rolling resistance.

mtnbikej

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Hey MBA had a pretty good tire comparison test in the Sept. '04 issue...it was over 40 tires...see if you can get ahold of a copy. Usually I don't put much stock in their reviews but this reveiw was pretty well written....D

EDIT: Found the issue...here's the top 10:

1. Kenda Nevegal Lt
2. Specialized Roll X pro
3. Ritchey ZED Race WCS
4. Hutchinson Spider tubeless
5. Continental Survival Protection
6. Maxxis Ranchero
7. Hutchinson Scorpion Tubeless Light
8. Continental Vapor Protection
9. Maxxis Mobster
10. WTB Weirwolf Race

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Kenda Kinetics, they're overkill weight and size wise, but they are great for the conditions I ride in.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
BMXman said:
Hey MBA had a pretty good tire comparison test in the Sept. '04 issue...it was over 40 tires...see if you can get ahold of a copy. Usually I don't put much stock in their reviews but this reveiw was pretty well written....D

1. Kenda Nevegal Lt
3. Ritchey ZED Race WCS
6. Maxxis Ranchero
9. Maxxis Mobster
10. WTB Weirwolf Race
Correct me if I'm wrong BMXman as I don't have the issue any longer, but weren't all those tires tested out west? Just keep that in mind if you ride in conditions that are dramatically different.

AustinM

Chimp
Feb 22, 2005
roll-x are great, wet or dry, a lighter, better panaracer firepro (don't last as long though)

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
BMXman said:

1. Kenda Nevegal Lt
3. Ritchey ZED Race WCS
6. Maxxis Ranchero
9. Maxxis Mobster
10. WTB Weirwolf Race
I agree, it seemed pretty comprehensive, however I found a few inconsistencies within that review. There were a few lightweight, low knob, tires(ala Karma DTC and Python) that recieved lower pedal efficiency ratings than the Nevegal :confused: I mean, seriously.....

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
AustinM said:
roll-x are great, wet or dry, a lighter, better panaracer firepro (don't last as long though)
I may give those a try when my Fire's wear out. Or the Panaracer Cinders. Or I'll just stick with the Fires. We'll see what's on sale when I need new tires.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
pixelninja said:
I may give those a try when my Fire's wear out. Or the Panaracer Cinders. Or I'll just stick with the Fires. We'll see what's on sale when I need new tires.
That's the nice thing about tires nowadays - doesn't seem to matter what you like, they all seem to always be on sale somewhere. :thumb:

-S.S.-

T_Lyledesign

Chimp
Nov 21, 2004
Denver
I've been pretty happy with my Continental Explorer Pros. They work really good on hardpack and some loose. Ok on rocky stuff. Corner at higher speeds really well.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Right now I am riding a Speci Enduro Pro S-Works front and a Conti Escape rear tubeless. Currently running Stans. May change to a IRC Mythos XC with a tube for the rear when the Escape wears out. The Escape is a great climbing tire and fast. I like it a lot. It works very well in most situations. I wish it came in a bigger size......jdcamb

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
If Hutchinson went back to their late nineties casings and compounds I'd be running pythons, but alas they went and screwed up a perfect tire when they decided to sex-up the python with colors and casing options....

I have been running Maxxis Advantage tires for the last 2 weeks, and I'm stoked on them. Intelligently designed knob flex means they hook up well while still rolling fast.

I just ordered some new Michielin AT's to try out as well, they look like they should work well for my loam'n'rocks around here. I just spent the last 4 weeks on Conti Twister pro 1.9's and was pretty damn suprised, for a paper thin almost knobless tire they worked well. They weren't grippy by any means, but the front wheel pushed predictably and they were easy to bring back out of a slide.

HOOWAH

Monkey
Sep 16, 2001
portland, maine USA
I'm sort of going to try to hijack this thread.

I've noticed that almost everyone in this thread is insisting on a different good xc tire, which suggests that there are a lot of tires out there that are just that. Now, almost certainly there are tires out there that are bad and are a waste of $.

Maybe the question should be:
What's NOT the best XC tire?

Maybe each person can give an example of an inferior tire, and accompany it with a reccomendation for a similar category but superior tire.

I will start with the aforementioned velociraptors which are heavy and dig in corners. A better tire may be the IRC mythos xc combo that probably dig about the same amount, but have as much traction and are lighter.

T

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
I use Continental Survivals front and back and don't seem to have any grip problems, even going through deep puddles of crap they hold on well enough for me. Shed dirt quickly too.

budgetrider

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
HOOWAH said:
I'm sort of going to try to hijack this thread.

I've noticed that almost everyone in this thread is insisting on a different good xc tire, which suggests that there are a lot of tires out there that are just that. Now, almost certainly there are tires out there that are bad and are a waste of $.

T
Maxxis Minion DH. Very $$$. and Heavy!!

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Can someone tell me what TPI means.......?.....like the Maxxis xCeption series are 120 TPI......is 120 a good number or something....?

And what are some tire presuures you guys run in rocky terrain.......?

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
HOOWAH said:
For loose rocky conditions, I will never again run the Panaracer Smoke/Dart combination or Maxxis Larson TT's.

The Smoke/Dart look like they should work ok, but they don't. I've never spun out so many times while climbing. And the Dart tends to wash out in corners.

The Maxxis Larson TT's just don't have enough of an aggressive tread for loose conditions.

Two tires that are vastly superior for these types of conditons are the IRC Mythos and the Panaracer Fire XC Pros.