Quantcast

WHats the highest reving street bike?

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
I followed a bike today on the freeway, seemed to be a mid to late nineties bike. kinda modern styling, but still had that square-ish seat section and a skinny rear tire. anyway, this thing reved like CRAZY. i couldnt belive it. when he would take off by the time he shifted, the frequency of the sound was so much higer than any engine ive ever heard. almost a ringing sound, and when he let of, it backfired so rapidly, it sounded like a harley revved up bbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrb if you get can imagine like 3 backfires per second... to the point..... what the highest reving production bike?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
small bikes rev insanely high, like ninja 250s. i'm not sure how the bigger bikes play into it

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Triumph makes a bike that redlines ~15k rpms, but I think most rockets don't really like going over 10k too often. Shortens engine life. And the power benefits fall after reaching optimum RPMs.

I'm not very knowledgeable, but I'm gonna guess the guy you saw today was either playing or an idiot. I doubt anyone rides their bike like that on a regular basis.

Denny

Chimp
Aug 27, 2002
Seattle, WA
Yamaha's R6 (600CC) revs to 15,000, but power drops off after around 13K. I've seen the 250's go to 18,500 and that was a few years ago. If it had a skinny rear tire, it was probably a 250. Gotta love the sound of those revs!

As for "nobody rides at those revs regularly", that's what a sportbike is for! Get a Goldwing if you're going to cruise across the country in comfort...

bigshred

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Bellingham
could it have been a two-stroke? a multi cylinder two-stroke street bike is going to sound a bit different than a dirt bike or a fourstroke sport bike for that matter... maybe a Derbi, or a Aprilla?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I was drooling on an Agusta F4 this weekend that had an 18K tach and a 15K redline start. It was a 750 and SICK. He had a ton of custom carbon crap on it. This isn't the one I was checking out, but it's close.