Quantcast

What's the longest you've ever ridden...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
...non-stop? (time or distance)

You could've had people handing you food and drink, but you didn't put your feet down at all.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
75 miles, solo ride. Cool weather meant I did not have to stop and get more water.

Forgot I stopped to pee on that ride.

There is a 50 mile loop I do after work that I have hit green lights and not had to stop a few times.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
As far as I can 'truely' remember, probably 55 miles. We used to do a spring ride-week where we hit a hilly 55 mile loop every morning for seven days straight. It was a great way to get in shape for the season.

It could be more, but I can't be sure. Most centuries I do end up with nice stops midway or thereabouts to refuel with water and food.

I've never considered stopping on a long ride a bad thing.

Edit: I didn't think about road racing.... I must have done a few centuries non-stop now that I think about it. It's been a long time since I thought of a road bike in that capacity. Granted my road bike comes out about once a year if it's lucky at this point. Amazing how things change over the years.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
75 miles, solo ride. Cool weather meant I did not have to stop and get more water.

Forgot I stopped to pee on that ride.

There is a 50 mile loop I do after work that I have hit green lights and not had to stop a few times.
Yeah, I've stopped to pee or fill up on water too.

I've never considered stopping on a long ride a bad thing.
no no, not suggesting it is, just something that I want to challenge myself to do.

I think my longest non-stop is in the low 50s.

splat

Nam I am
54 Miles in a century ride , and I had to stop at a red light ( had already done 12 before that , but had to stop due to a train crossing ), 200 yards later I stoped at convinece store for water . I had done the last 11 miles with out any water. ( as had about 10 other riders with me )

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
25 miles? Kind of hard to go very far in a busy Suburbia without having to stop for traffic, lights, etc. I never really paid attention to my feet touching the ground. As long as my heart rate stays up, it's all good to me.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
On my failed century last month, I didn't put a foot down until I stopped to pee and buy some water at about 70 miles. Little did I know I was just 10 miles from a complete bonk.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
35ish miles Corona to Newport on the SART. Was my best time yet, hoping to get better on the next run. Want to break an Hour. Gonna be tough
Good luck on that...

The first recorded hour record was in 1876 when F. L. Dodds rode 26.508 km (16.471 mi) on a penny-farthing bicycle. In 1972, Eddy Merckx set a record of 49.431 km (30.715 mi) that stood for twelve years, and remains a benchmark for the sport. The UCI record is currently held by Ondřej Sosenka (49.700 km (30.882 mi)).

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
70 for me.
Although I do not know if I ever put a foot down at a stop sign or something.
I did a couple July 4 metric centuries years ago.
Well, they called it a metric century but one year it was 67 miles....
on July 4th......in the Southeast.
I must have been even dumber back then.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
sounds like some people could use a lesson on track stands. :D

my longest w/o touching down isn't all that long, probably about 35 miles or so? and that's on the road.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Yeah, i know its a big goal. And fairly unrealistic, but its a goal.

SOmething i did forget to mention was that i was riding with someone else on that ride as well, neither of us stopped for the whole run and we took turns leading the other out. Hurt like Hell when we got there. Rested up took about four breaks on the return trip.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
So am I retarded for wanting to do a solo, non-stop, self-supported century?

I'd essentially have to start with like 8 water bottles and plenty of food.

My luck, I'd get a flat at mile 90.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
sounds like some people could use a lesson on track stands. :D

my longest w/o touching down isn't all that long, probably about 35 miles or so? and that's on the road.
That depends on where your at too, SART is a long flat paved path used by cyclist, walkers/joggers and horses. no stops no cars so you get a nice fairly flat 35mileish ride. Very reasonable for a begginner to be under 2 hours and even i made in an hur and fifteen, we would have gone further, but the trail ended and we were stopped at the traffic lights. Then rides like oak glen are about a 20 mile loop, and it takes me about an hour and a half to climb and decend the loop, and i need to stop usually twice for Circulation in my feet. I have no doubt in my mind that if teh SART was a longer trail i could go further withoput stopping, maybe not at the same speed, but still longer without touching down. currently they are working on connecting it up to The san bernardino section, cant wait till its a 65 mile paved path with no cars!!!!!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I think Wumpus is saying that it's impossible for you to solo it at that speed since that's faster than the world record. Now you mention you and a buddy, so drafting maybe be a different story.

I've enjoyed your posts man, you're a good guy, but I have to call you out on riding that fast on a MUP. Seriously man, if you and a friend were teaming up and doing 28 mph on a MUP, that's not only reckless, that's illegal, dangerous and stupid. If you hit someone, you're going to jail.

The speed limit on our MUPs is 15mph, enforced at 21+mph by the cops... and for very good reason. It's irresponsible.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Oh and there's no way 2 normal dudes working together/drafting are gonna get anywhere near 30mph average on flat pavement for an hour. The cat 3/4's around here are lucky to average 27 with group of 30+ riders. Unless you're a pro in a peloton, or one of the top cyclists in the world, you ain't gettin' anywhere near 30. And you sure ain't gonna get there on a friggin' bike path.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
One thing about the hour record is that it is done on a fixie.

edit -- Chris Boardman's record speed in the 1994 TdF prologue(7.2km) was 55.152 kph(34.2 mph).

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
Longest i've gone without putting a foot down would have to be approx 10 - 15 miles lol. Stop signs, lights, kids, etc. always seem to make me stop. The trackstand is something I really want to learn to do.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I think Wumpus is saying that it's impossible for you to solo it at that speed since that's faster than the world record. Now you mention you and a buddy, so drafting maybe be a different story.

I've enjoyed your posts man, you're a good guy, but I have to call you out on riding that fast on a MUP. Seriously man, if you and a friend were teaming up and doing 28 mph on a MUP, that's not only reckless, that's illegal, dangerous and stupid. If you hit someone, you're going to jail.

The speed limit on our MUPs is 15mph, enforced at 21+mph by the cops... and for very good reason. It's irresponsible.

Yeah, ours are 15 MPH also and we are taking the risk when we ride over it. Last time i soled Sanata ana river trail it took me bout an hour and 45 and it hurt ALOT. Like i said i would like to be able to make it in an hour, but i know its actually an unrealistic goal, i also know Ill never make it alone.

About the drafting, yes thats exactly what we were doing, switching out bout every 5 miles or so. In a couple of weeks we are gonna hit it up again with a third person, who is also a strong rider and see what we can Pull off.

As far as your Self supported Century, go for it, really sounds like a good time, and a good challenge for yourself. repost when you go for it, let everyone know how it goes

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
My two longest rides were:
1 - 156 miles with my club - Jasper to Banff in Alberta, over 2 mountain passes.
2 - 139 miles solo - Victoria BC to Courtenay BC

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My longest ride was 145 miles solo from Hartford to Saratoga Springs, but I stopped many times during day.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I'm pretty sure that 50 is about the longest without stopping at all.

The longest ride ever was 136.

The longest solo ride was 112.

I don't know how much fun carrying 8 water bottles for an extended amount of time is going to be but a goal is a goal.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
<snip>I don't know how much fun carrying 8 water bottles for an extended amount of time is going to be but a goal is a goal.
I found an Aqua Rack at the shop that only had one mount. I sit back and hit it sometimes, so I have it cocked to the side. I plan to do some machine work and polishing on it to day and it will only hold one bottle. I have abandoned jersey pockets for bottles these days. However, fitness is getting good enough that I didn't finish one bottle of Gu20 on the ride, where 2 years ago I would have needed at least 2 bottles for 20 miles.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
The longest solo ride was 112.

I don't know how much fun carrying 8 water bottles for an extended amount of time is going to be but a goal is a goal.
IM?

If it were fair weather out here in CA, I could see doing a century on 4 big water bottles. 2 in the frame, and 2 mounted behind the saddle.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Longest solo road ride was a 125 mile loop I did a few times last year. Haven't even broken 80 this year :disgust:.

Bevis

Chimp
May 24, 2007
Norcal
One year I made it 3/4 of the way through a Marin Day La (spelling?) before Rangers stopped us near Invernes. A few of us rode back to Larkspur via Bolinas Ridge. I remember getting upset and tossing my bike over a fence, yelling something about "feels like I'm sitting on a cactus." (I may have still been riding those Salle Itallia seats on my Zaskar.)
It was about 75 miles total. Combined, the trails on the Day La list are supposed to be over 100 miles...all off-road, usually very knarly and through the Marin Headlands/Mt.Tam. Good times.